Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have read the article that my buddy Bert and I wrote (in the Pit Road section)for the forum about Bragg-Smith's corvette driving school. In it we told about how they remove the seat springs of the driver seat to allow you to sit "in" rather than "on" the seat. Neither of us have wanted to do this spring removal step but I thought I would tell you that we both learned to raise the front edge of the seat to MAX HIGH and the rear edge of the seat to MAX LOW and then adjust seat closeness to the clutch and arm length that places us closer than either of us grew up with. After 3 months of this position it doesn't feel right to drive any other way. How many have tried this and kept/rejected this method which allows our thighs (largest muscle)rather than our calves to do the work and our arms to leverage the wheel properly? Discussion?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I too have moved my seat position to much closer than was comfortable at first. Now, I am used to sitting up close to the wheel and more upright. I live in NH with lots of twisties and I use the technique of pushing the steering wheel so my shoulder is pushed into the seat. You have to be close enough to the wheel for that to happen. I have also adjusted to not being able to see the side of my car our the side view mirrors. This gives me better over all visibility.

Sitting closer to the wheel really allows you to use leaverage. When your arms are completely extended, you have no leaverage and get tired quickly. It really works once you get used to it. I am going back to Bragg-Smith in November. I can't wait. I will also be practicing what I learned at Lime Rock in Conn this coming weekend. Have fun, stay safe!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts