Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4475 miles on the second set of rear tires. Measured them today with 7 32nds in the out and inside voids and 5 32nds in the center voids. I am running 27 psi cold as recommended by the tech at Goodyear but have still have the strange wear issue. The last set was retired at 10,000 miles with 1 32nd in the center and 3 to 3.5 32nds on the in and outsides. WHo else is having this strange wear and what can be done? I don't want to go any lower cold as it already suffers a tad in cornering running 27 psi. Chime in here, will ya? Thanks
Doc E.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Can't say exactly what your symptoms indicate but I too get more wear down the rear centers. In my case it is probably due to the excessive wheelspin I seem to experience during launches. :eek2: You didn't say that the wear was front and/or rear. If front, I would suspect high tire pressures. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Dr.Electron said:
4475 miles on the second set of rear tires. Measured them today with 7 32nds in the out and inside voids and 5 32nds in the center voids. I am running 27 psi cold as recommended by the tech at Goodyear but have still have the strange wear issue. The last set was retired at 10,000 miles with 1 32nd in the center and 3 to 3.5 32nds on the in and outsides. WHo else is having this strange wear and what can be done? I don't want to go any lower cold as it already suffers a tad in cornering running 27 psi. Chime in here, will ya? Thanks
Doc E.

That is truly weird.... :eyes: I have never had good luck with GY's. I switched to Kumho's, then BFG Kd.
Wanted to go with Michelin PS2, but weren't available in Z06 size at the time.
What I'm trying to say is maybe a different brand of tire wouldn't do this.
Or I have heard that some of the 05's came from the factory with incorrect alignment. :-?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They are scratching their head right now awaiting inspection of this set. The first set was only inspected by one person there at the factory and they did 50% off the replacement set thru customer service. They indicated that this did not show up in the extensive testing of the tire. It is not an alignment issue, it is not an over inflation issue, you have and ideas? I'll keep you posted on what they find.
All the Best,
Doc E.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, but how is it possible for anyone to have as many problems with their car(s) as you? You are either THE unluckiest man on the planet or you really beat the living shit out of your vehicles....

Good luck with the tires.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
. . . . depending upon driving patterns, it very well could be due to UNDER inflating the tire -- I've caused that very same wear by underinflating & running high speeds before the tire temp and resulting pressures came up.

What pressure are the tires coming up to hot?
What are the temps coming up to? If you have an IR pyrometer, check the left edge, center, and right edge of the rear tires (hopefully, fairly closely after you get to your destination). Between the two, you'll probably find the answer to your question.

Who recommended 27psi, btw? when I run on streets [used to be F1's, now PS2s as rains] I'm starting at 28-29 cold, and 38 hot . . . no abnormal wear (all things considered).

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
10 pound gain from cold to hot? Egads. You should consider using nitrogen in your tires. I see you live in California so the sub zero cold is out of the question. Maybe the compressor you are inflating with is full of moisture. The most I have ever seen from a 2 day sit with totally cold tires to a 500 mile road trip at 100+ speeds was 6 pSI gain and that include a 3000 foot drop in elevation. BTW the engineer at Goodyear suggested the 27 PSI cold.
Doc E.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Interesting . . . 33 hot seems a bit low, IMO . . . did they recommend a hot temp as well?

I typically use a line dryer when running air for both rains and slicks -- it's easier than trying to get shops to use nitrogen fills, and keeps me from having to purge 4 or 5 times to get a real benefit out of it. Believe me, tho . . . I do consider sticking nitrogen on the trailer.

I'd still recommend checking temps across the tread when you have a choice -- you'll probably find that you're running hot in the center, which will match the wear you're seeing. Hot, I'd normally expect to see pressures about 3-4lbs more than what you're seeing, however would defer to Goodyear on hot temps & pressures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts