Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Z06. Recently, while driving, I'd notice the security light in the instrument cluster would come on. Twice now in the last two days, it wouldn't start once the engine was shut off. Both times the security light was flashing. Both times I waited, and kept trying, and eventually it would start. I'm betting this is a common problem, but my forum search didn't yield anything. Any advice?
Chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, the security light just flashed, and the starter didn't do anything. I'm all but certain the two are linked - as if the system didn't recognize the chip in the key, or something like that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
security code

I went and ran the codes, and I am getting:

P1631H Theft Deterrent System Password Incorrect

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The PASS-Key has it's own codes in the BCM. This is a PCM error. So it's not the key or ignition cylinder that's at fault.

I'm guessing it's a communication problem between the PCM and BCM, or maybe a bad FLASH memory in one or the other.

You might be able to tell which with a Tech-II.

You might just have to take a guess and replace one and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
104 Posts
How about resetting the key by pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob simultanesouly for five to ten seconds until the horn sounds, while in close proximity to the car. If you have two keys two drivers sometimes this is what it takes. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Password

cnc said:
I went and ran the codes, and I am getting:

P1631H Theft Deterrent System Password Incorrect
From the Theft Deterrent Section of the Service Manual:

"When the ignition is first turned ON, the BCM sends a programmed theft deterrent password to the PCM. The PCM acknowledges the password and responds to the BCM that normal fuel injector and starter operation will continue. If the PCM detects and incorrect password, a theft deterrent system failure, or an attempted vehicle theft, DTC 1631 will set. The engine will not start or crank as long as this condition is present."

Because your situation is intermittant, I think you need to see your Chevy dealer for a Diagnostic System Check.

Z06Y Lady :eek2:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Z06Y Lady said:
From the Theft Deterrent Section of the Service Manual:

"When the ignition is first turned ON, the BCM sends a programmed theft deterrent password to the PCM. The PCM acknowledges the password and responds to the BCM that normal fuel injector and starter operation will continue. If the PCM detects and incorrect password, a theft deterrent system failure, or an attempted vehicle theft, DTC 1631 will set. The engine will not start or crank as long as this condition is present."

Because your situation is intermittant, I think you need to see your Chevy dealer for a Diagnostic System Check.

Z06Y Lady :eek2:
That's what I said! :rofl:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2002 Z06. Recently, while driving, I'd notice the security light in the instrument cluster would come on. Twice now in the last two days, it wouldn't start once the engine was shut off. Both times the security light was flashing. Both times I waited, and kept trying, and eventually it would start. I'm betting this is a common problem, but my forum search didn't yield anything. Any advice?
Chris
I just had this happen... what was the fix?

·
Registered
46 Posts
How about resetting the key by pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob simultanesouly for five to ten seconds until the horn sounds, while in close proximity to the car. If you have two keys two drivers sometimes this is what it takes. Good luck.
this would not reset the key.

it would only rest the key fob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently was tightening the positive on my battery and arched my wrench on metal afterwards my vet won't start it cranks over but I'm getting no spark and the security light is flashing any suggestions is there a way to reset the security system

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
If security light is flashing that should mean the PCM and BCM are exchanging the security code so that may not be your problem

I would first look for a fuse link being blown or checking all other fuses being OK for those of the PCM
and the fuse link for fuse panel by the BCM under the passenger floor hatch and it's fuses

1 - 16 of 16 Posts