Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy in the future. Here's my dilemma. I'd like an '02 Z. Specifically because of the HP difference, the oil consumption issue, and HUD. But, it seems that '01s are much less pricey, usually about $3-5K less. Since I plan to mod the engine (stroker or blower), which is the better choice? Fix the rings on an '01 while doing the engine, and forget the 20 HP and HUD? Or, go with an '02 and throw a few more grand down? Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The 20hp comes from three things: The cam, the descreen maf, and larger hole in the air box, and the 2 cats vs 4.

If you're modding, you'll swap out the intake. You'll put headers on it, there goes the cats. And most likely you'll get a cam as well. Once you're done there is no 20hp difference. The HUD you can add for a few hundred.

As far as oil consumption, my 01 never has used oil (45k miles, seen autoxes in the past), just find an 01 that doesn't have the problem, not all did. Or has had the re-ring.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Since you're modding, it doesn't matter which one you get. Buy the one you want.

Alex

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
In addition, some 01Zs had the HUD. It was an option. If you buy a car without, you can add HUD for about $250.

Btw, I chose an 01 for the same reasons. I'm modding it to the tilt so why pay for an 02 or newer?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
In addition, some 01Zs had the HUD. It was an option.
I don't think so. It was available on Coupes and Vert's but not on the Zee until 02. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It was not available on 01s but a number of folks have retro-fitted them. It was not an option on 02 either, it was standard equipment.

blackvetterzo6 said:
01 Did Not Have The Hud Option.o2 First Year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts