Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have my car in the air to pull the exhaust and unbolt the Kooks so I can access the clutch inspection cover and adjust my LUK pressure plate to stop the damn slipping (new clutch long story).

I noticed that the trans is damp in areas... I know some seepage is normal with a moving part, but is this normal? The car is covered under extended warranty so I can take it in to get re-sealed. But if it's fine I'll just keep on truckin'. There's never any fluid on the garage....

Front seal...

Rear seal...

Thanks,
Brian :z:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Mine's been doing that forever. Too much hassle to fix for the few drops of tranny fluid that it leaks IMO. I think its lost maybe 3 drops over 6 months.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok... so what... just clean it up and keep on trucking. Thinking about taking it into the dealer tomorrow and having them fix it... maybe install the new shift forks and synchros while the box is out.... who knows.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey brian, clean it up really good and put a white towle under it and see how much it leaks in say a 8 hour period, if its a bad static leak, i would have them look at it, if you put a drop of oil in one spot next to the area that your checking you can measure how many drops per hour it is leaking by the size of the spot.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it's not a "static" leak... it's always been dirty/moist, but now it's seems to be a hair worse.

·
Registered
229 Posts
well for peace of mine i would have it checked out, never know how much fluid has left it dynamically then. especially since your HPDE'n with it. but a a little wetness over months is nothing, on my helo's i work on if its not leaking something is wrong.lol

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hehe.... I'll call Mike Arnold up at Casey Chevrolet tomorrow and see what he says. He may have seen this before.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Mine leaked like that from day one ... but worse than yours. mine would leave a small spot on the floor now and then, but it would leak mostly when driving. The few drops on the floor was just the residue dripping off when I parked it.

I think mine was a seal that had some debris in it or the lip was rolled or something. I monitored it over time and after driving the car about 10,000 miles it seemed to fix itself. Maybe the debris or lip rolled back ... who knows.

I didn't want the dealer messing with the car right off the bat, so I watched it and added a few oz of ATF every 5K miles. Glad I waited it out ... but if the tranny would have developed any other problems I would have definitely had it fixed.

If you can get updated shift forks, etc out of the deal under warranty, then maybe go for it. :thumb: ... otherwise, I wouldn't let the dealer rip and tear into it just for a slight leak like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts