Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MeanGreen2000:
This just in...recently posted by Ken Fichtner, "somewhere else"...

"This statement just arrived electronically from GM.
As always, remember you read it here first! Long live the Corvette*****.

To: ALL Chevrolet Dealers

March 3, 2001

Statement in response to a report in AM&P Magazine that General Motors plans to make Corvette a separate performance brand...

Attribute to Kurt Ritter, General Manager, Chevrolet Motor Division

Corvette has been a highly successful Chevrolet brand for almost 50 years, and General Motors has no plans whatsoever to separate Corvette from the Chevrolet franchise.

Corvette recently finished yet another year as America’s best selling high-performance sports car, and it remains a vital part of the Chevrolet lineup.

Chevrolet’s strategy continues to be to offer high volume cars and trucks in a broad range of market segments, along with halo vehicles such as Corvette, Avalanche and the recently announced SSR. This strategy continues to make Chevrolet one of the most successful brands in America."

Mark

[This message has been edited by MeanGreen2000 (edited 03-03-2001).]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Mark..........Now I can go back to sleep....for a moment there,thought I was having a nightmare about Corvette seperating itself from Chevrolet.....
Zman

------------------
Deposit on 2002 MY Z06-First on Campbell Chevy(Bowling Green,KY)list!! Due in late July!:(

·
Registered
566 Posts
As I recall Corvette tried a concept 2+2 many years ago. It was a POS and never made it to market. It was the 1962 Stingray (concept car)trying to get some of the then Thunderbird business. Basically was a stretched out Stingray with a small backseat. Bad idea!

------------------

Quicksilver Z06 Moon
KN w/Modified Air Box

·
Registered
457 Posts
GM needs to start treating the vette like a $50,000 car

The "Chevy: attitude is the DEALER.....not the people

------------------

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
March Issue of Automotive Manufacturing & Production
Magazine Tackles Industry Issues and Exposes GM's
Premium Car Plan PLYMOUTH, Mich., March 1 /PRNewswire/
-- The March issue of Automotive Manufacturing & Production (AM&P) magazine, out today, reports that General Motors Corporation is forming an independent
Corvette product line to better compete in the automotive performance market. AM&P's Executive Editor Chris Sawyer exposes GM's plans to create a new organization that mimics **** Motor Company's Premium
Automotive Group. GM's plans are to combine Cadillac, Saab, Alfa Romeo and Corvette into a Luxury/Performance group. As reported by Sawyer, sources inside GM believe that Chevrolet's image as a maker of "everyday" vehicles hurts the Corvette and hinders the company's ability to go after the growing
performance market. Consequently, GM wants to create a line of Corvette vehicles. A new Corvette will arrive in 2004 followed by the first addition to the Corvette line'the "Corvette Camaro." Reportedly, both smaller and lighter than its predecessor, this 2+2 coupe is based on GM's rear-drive Sigma platform and has reached the full-size clay model stage. A further variant also is in the early planning stages. To learn
more about GM's plans for the Corvette line, The issue can be viewed online at http://www.autofieldguide.com

------------------
Tom
Quicksilver/Red Z06
Corsa Indy, B&M Ripper, Corvette Concepts Ram Air Induction

www.c5frc.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Great info Tom!! Thankx!!

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

M

·
0 Posts
something surely to keep an eye on!

------------------
Mark

2000 Roadster. DBGM/Lt Oak/Lt Oak. A4, 3.15 gears, base suspension and everything else. Borla "Dual Cannon" XR-1's, Vortex Rammer, Power Duct & BPP MAF ends...more to come!
Lowered, Chrome OEM Wheels, F&R S/S Chrome lettering, R Blackout Kit, Steering Wheel Decal, Lloyd's Mats.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A "Corvette Camaro"?
I can hardly wait. That will certainly convince people that the Corvette is a premium line!

------------------

1997 Sebring Silver Coupe For Sale

2001 Quicksilver Z06
Another satisfied Karl Johanson customer

·
Registered
292 Posts
Will I be going to the Cadillac dealer to get my Corvette serviced?

------------------
2001 Torch Red/Mod TR Z06

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1520566&a=11496079
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1520566&a=11746422
Zaino,CAGS defeat,Lloyds Z06 front/cargo mats,CAU decals,Z06 exhaust plate,Valentine 1/remote,BP Al Gas Pedal,power antenna,Dynamat Super interior,K&N air filter/open stock cover,Z06 TR Vette Rest,A&A frame savers;DS Trunk Lid Insert,interior TR mods,TR painted engine compartment components.

M

·
0 Posts
This just in...recently posted by Ken Fichtner, "somewhere else"...

"This statement just arrived electronically from GM.
As always, remember you read it here first! Long live the Corvette*****.

To: ALL Chevrolet Dealers

March 3, 2001

Statement in response to a report in AM&P Magazine that General Motors plans to make Corvette a separate performance brand...

Attribute to Kurt Ritter, General Manager, Chevrolet Motor Division

Corvette has been a highly successful Chevrolet brand for almost 50 years, and General Motors has no plans whatsoever to separate Corvette from the Chevrolet franchise.

Corvette recently finished yet another year as America’s best selling high-performance sports car, and it remains a vital part of the Chevrolet lineup.

Chevrolet’s strategy continues to be to offer high volume cars and trucks in a broad range of market segments, along with halo vehicles such as Corvette, Avalanche and the recently announced SSR. This strategy continues to make Chevrolet one of the most successful brands in America."

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
The concept of price segmentation has really blurred in recent years - Chevy and **** are both selling $40K mid sized SUVs, which are nothing more than gussied up $15K trucks. For $40K you can also get a loaded Mercedes C-class, which has just about everthing as the $70K S-class.

When you get above $50K for a sedan, or a TRUCK for god's sake, you're just getting more doo-dads, exclusivity, and snob appeal, not better engineering and assembly quality. The price is what the market will bear and the premium goes to the bottom line.

Chevrolet means value and performance. I don't think we'll ever see a Seville in NASCAR or a C6-based Caddy two-seater at LeMans. IMHO opinion, badging a Corvette as anything other than a Chevrolet would be a big mistake.

Duke

------------------

·
Registered
89 Posts
No Way we will see a "Corvette-Camaro" or a separate Corvette line and brand. I could see a "premium performance" Vette for more $$$$--and I would buy it!

------------------
Blk Z06, Halltech Cold Air and Ported TB, DRM Top End, Chromed Wheels, Tint, Nakamichi/MB Qt/PPI/Fosgate Stereo, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts