Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had problems with my harmonic balancer pulley spinning off. I figured maybe the pulley was bad or the bolt came out from being seated properly. After digging in to it today and getting the pulley off and the bolt out, I noticed the pulley was pretty eaten up. I felt the crank shaft and can feel grooves cut into it from the pulley spinning on it. I have ASP pulleys waiting to be installed, but I stopped to seek advice...

I was told by a friend that the crank shaft is ruined due to the grooves and that a pressure fitted pulley (as we have), will not seat properly in a grooved shaft. Since our crank shafts are not keyed, he says the pulley will not seat and will just spin and get ruined like the old one.

First off, I have no idea how this happened as the car only has 7,200 miles, but I bought it used and the guy I got it from had lots of stuff done to the engine. I figure they did not seat the bolt properly and time caused it to come off.

Advice...has this happened to anyone else? Is there any way to make the pulley stay without having to pull the crank shaft and getting a new one? I was told I can try to smooth it out with an emery cloth or fine sand paper and then use a sleeve on it. Do they even make sleeves that will work with our cars? Am I just totally screwed and have to get a shop pull the crank shaft? My buddies are pretty car savvy...what are the chances a garage mechanic can get the crank shaft out? Is there anyway to key a crank shaft without having to remove it? :eyes:

Lots of questions, yes, but I need answers to figure out which road to take from here.

Thanks...feel free to email me at [email protected]

Rodrigo

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Yes, you can drill and key the crank without pulling the engine....is there too much damage?? I can't make that call. I suggest VERY HIGH resolution pics sent to Andy at A & A or one of the many supporting vendors to ask their opinion. I would call before just emailing them though. Do a search on keying the crank here and I'd bet my life you'll find all the info you need!!:D

-Tony

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Send an email to AntiVenom (Greg), I am sure he could help you understand your options.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts