Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last two days I have been getting the service active handling, service abs, service traction control light. I know my Z is older (2001) so this is pretty common. I've done some research and found that it can range from a faulty EBCM to a steering sensor to a loose ground. I have just installed HID's and I was wondering if the location and/or the voltage is causing interference with the brakes themselves. i know that just installing certain braided stainless brakelines can cause issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even just to be pointed in a 9 times out of 10 scenario would be great!:anyone:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yuma, thanks again! Your post was very helpful. That was a feature that I didn't even know my car had! My question now is; if the Service active handling/ABS code is thrown, does that mean that my car is in "competition" mode? Just wondering since it's shutting down all those functions, or does the "competition" mode do more than ABS, traction control?

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Comp mode turns off traction control but leaves active handling on (to help straighten you out when you go sideways..lol).

You did not say what codes appeared on the DIC. That would be helpful in identifying what is causing the service active handling message.

When my steering position sensor went bad, I received the service active message and I believe it turned everything off (like hitting the button once to shut everything off). It would not go into competitive mode no matter how long I held the button down. So, be careful out there if all the nannies are shut off.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Comp mode turns off traction control but leaves active handling on (to help straighten you out when you go sideways..lol).

You did not say what codes appeared on the DIC. That would be helpful in identifying what is causing the service active handling message.

When my steering position sensor went bad, I received the service active message and I believe it turned everything off (like hitting the button once to shut everything off). It would not go into competitive mode no matter how long I held the button down. So, be careful out there if all the nannies are shut off.
LOL! I'll be careful. It won't go into "competition" mode either. It's throwing a C1214HC code. So, the "H" means it's an old code or that there's a history and the "C" means current, if I'm not mistaken. From my understanding a current code can't be cleared. I've looked into getting fixed by mailing it in. I'm not sure if I can mention the site as I'm not sure if they are a vendor for this site. The price seems good and I've heard they use better relays then the Delphi ones.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
LOL! I'll be careful. It won't go into "competition" mode either. It's throwing a C1214HC code. So, the "H" menas it's an old code or that there's a history and the "C" means current, if I'm not mistaken. From my understanding a current code can't be cleared. I've looked into getting fixed by mailing it in. I'm not sure if I can mention the site as I'm not sure if they are a vendor for this site. The price seems good and I've heard they use better relays then the Delphi ones.
You can mention the company where you will be sending your module, you just can't post a link to it if it's not a supporting vendor of this site.

Jimbo

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jim! I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes. I want to send it to ABSfixer.com. They seem to do good work. Anyone here use them before?

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,854 Posts
Thanks Jim! I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes. I want to send it to ABSfixer.com. They seem to do good work. Anyone here use them before?
IF the ETBCM was at fault the common failure is a small relay

Sending it in to some vendor means paying $150.00, round trip shipping costs, plus the down time of the car until repaired unit is reinstalled.

That relay, if you just buy one is $1.92, a vendor doing the repair if buying 100 relays pays only $1.20 each

That is one hell of a Corvette tax !

Search digikey's website for part PB380-ND

If you cannot do soldering of a 4 pin relay then find someone who can
Also buy a few spares since this relay is no longer used.

BUT before doing that is is also common with the wrong designed HID causes high current loads on battery and causing those error codes.

Do a full battery load test, even 1 weak cell can be hidden as voltage shows correct but the battery cannot handle high current loads but being the HID work was just done and now ETBCM codes points to a voltage/current issue and not the ETBCM unless the HID added current load wacked the relay that was weak

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IF the ETBCM was at fault the common failure is a small relay

Sending it in to some vendor means paying $150.00, round trip shipping costs, plus the down time of the car until repaired unit is reinstalled.

That relay, if you just buy one is $1.92, a vendor doing the repair if buying 100 relays pays only $1.20 each

That is one hell of a Corvette tax !

Search digikey's website for part PB380-ND

If you cannot do soldering of a 4 pin relay then find someone who can
Also buy a few spares since this relay is no longer used.

BUT before doing that is is also common with the wrong designed HID causes high current loads on battery and causing those error codes.

Do a full battery load test, even 1 weak cell can be hidden as voltage shows correct but the battery cannot handle high current loads but being the HID work was just done and now ETBCM codes points to a voltage/current issue and not the ETBCM unless the HID added current load wacked the relay that was weak
Thanks! That's good to know. I'm not afraid to change out a relay. It just seemed like as soon as the HID's were installed that all this happened. I'll check the battery too, to see if it's getting weak.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same problem with my vette. I got two relays from DigiKey for $1.29 each. It was a little tricky getting the EBCM out, and getting the cover off. Just work at it and be careful when you're pulling it apart. From start to finish, took me about 3-4 hours to fix. A lot better than paying $3000 for the dealer to fix or $1000 for the part.

·
Registered
111 Posts
While autocrossing my car ('02 Z06 w/~75K), I encountered the same symptoms. A fellow competitor check my car out with his laptop and told me my ABS was inoperative. I went ahead and competed with the car but, it was bleeping EVIL to say the least. When I applied the brakes the car tried to swap ends, high speed braking was downright vicious, and entrance to a turn was almost unpredictable. There were no problems encountered while driving the car "properly" on the street. I had the problem addressed by an automotive professional (~$1200). No recurrence.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
While autocrossing my car ('02 Z06 w/~75K), I encountered the same symptoms. A fellow competitor check my car out with his laptop and told me my ABS was inoperative. I went ahead and competed with the car but, it was bleeping EVIL to say the least. When I applied the brakes the car tried to swap ends, high speed braking was downright vicious, and entrance to a turn was almost unpredictable. There were no problems encountered while driving the car "properly" on the street. I had the problem addressed by an automotive professional (~$1200). No recurrence.
If you're curious why, it's from the dynamic brake proportioning going into failure mode along with the ABS. It defaults to a very heavy rear brake bias.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good information in this post!

I went to DigiKey's website and found that the relay is obsolete. I talked with their customer service rep and was told that model PB1321-ND is the replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same exact thing here. EBCM went out, sent to ABSfixer.com had it back 3 days later. Fantastic. Easy in and out i thought, 6 T-20 Torx screws. hour off, maybe 20 mins back on. No more lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts