Corvette Z06 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,893 Posts
Bad cell in battery will have these kinda voltages

Check fuse for Alt and it's wring connections
Check ground wire end to end of battery and main engine ground

If not Alt or battery you need to use a good OBD-II scanner and see that the PCM is commanding the ALT to output

Too many electronics on cars today so if car sits for days then a battery tender is a must.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced the battery and took it for a drive and the same thing happened with new battery as with the old one. I should be getting the new alternator son and will replace it to see what happens, I will check the wiring too.

Thanks again I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I HAVE A 2006 VETTE AND THE THING IS A NIGHTMARE ! I AM GETTING SAME ISSUE.SOMETIMES I GET MESSAGE TO SERVICE CHARGING SYSTEM AND OTHER TIMES STARTS OK. i HAVE BEEN A MECHANIC FOR CITY FOR OVER 30 YEARS, PROBLEMS WITH C6 CORVETTE ARE ENDLESS. THE BATTERY ACTUALY EXPLODED WHILE MY WIFE WAS DRIVING IT. I BOUGHT IT FOR HER BUT SHE WON'T TOUCH ANY MORE. THE CAR IS INTEMITTANT AT BEST (NO WAY RELIABLE).WORST CAR I EVER OWNED, WAS CONSIDERING PULLING THE ENGINE AND TRANS TO USE IN A HOT ROD. GM JUNKTOO MANY TO LIST. GM JUNK.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I HAVE A 2006 VETTE AND THE THING IS A NIGHTMARE ! I AM GETTING SAME ISSUE.SOMETIMES I GET MESSAGE TO SERVICE CHARGING SYSTEM AND OTHER TIMES STARTS OK. i HAVE BEEN A MECHANIC FOR CITY FOR OVER 30 YEARS, PROBLEMS WITH C6 CORVETTE ARE ENDLESS. THE BATTERY ACTUALY EXPLODED WHILE MY WIFE WAS DRIVING IT. I BOUGHT IT FOR HER BUT SHE WON'T TOUCH ANY MORE. THE CAR IS INTEMITTANT AT BEST (NO WAY RELIABLE).WORST CAR I EVER OWNED, WAS CONSIDERING PULLING THE ENGINE AND TRANS TO USE IN A HOT ROD. GM JUNKTOO MANY TO LIST. GM JUNK.
Get rid of the car and your problem with that car will be over.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Many modern vehicles will discharge the battery just enough to not be able to start if not driven regularly...all batteries installed in OEM vehicles are not deep cycle batteries and so once the battery is discharged enough to not start the engine, that battery is probably not long for this world...there is a reason why Corvette sells the battery protection package...also, the only effective method to test a battery is using a load tester, which applies a load to the battery to extinguish the possible surface charge that a regular battery tester will find and think the battery is fully charged...once the starter puts the starting load on the bad battery the surface charge will dissipate and the car won't start, sometimes...hence the intermittent starting issue...you get what you pay for so installing a cheap battery will get you a cheap battery which will most likely start giving issues early on...all the above being said, my girlfriend's 2003 GMC 3/4 Ton Diesel can sit in her driveway for months at a time and start right up...my 2004 Silverado 3/4 Ton Diesel will not start after about 5 days, battery tender material.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts