Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get in my car to go to class, which i am now very late for, and the display says, pull key, wait 10 seconds. i pull the key, and wait 10or 12 seconds and try again, and i get service column lock.

now i did a search and i didnt see any threads that answered the question in my head right now. does this go away? or am i gonna have it towed to the dealer? the steering wheel will NOT turn.... is it something that will stop like say, after a half hour? or am i screwed? thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PerforminNorman said:
Hold the steering wheel to the right (clockwise) while rotating the key into the "on" position. ;)
wish i would have seen that earlier, i read somewhere on another forum that said kill the wheel back and forth and it will break loose. it worked. thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Its not a back and forth action that is needed. As Norman stated, when the steering locks, pull thw wheel hard to the right while you turn the key to the on position and the wheel should unlock. When I have had to do this I have pulled on the wheel with my right hand and truned the key with my left, a little awkward, but doable.

And it saves you $50 for the bypass kit that you did not have to order.

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
mdickie said:
Its not a back and forth action that is needed. As Norman stated, when the steering locks, pull thw wheel hard to the right while you turn the key to the on position and the wheel should unlock. When I have had to do this I have pulled on the wheel with my right hand and truned the key with my left, a little awkward, but doable.

And it saves you $50 for the bypass kit that you did not have to order.

Mark
Yep - this has saved me on quite a few road trips already ;)

Nothing like being at roadside stop 100 miles from Armpit OK and have the dash binging and beeping and flashing scarymessages at you.

Self unlock is the one important trick to know.

Another one is when you car starts disabling the AH TC and ABS with "Service ABS/AH/TC" messages on a startup, just powercycle the car 3 or 4 times and it reverts to normal operation again.

I can see how a new to C5 Vette owner might end up with a huge towing bill/inconvenience if "trapped" in the middle of nowhere when these systems "fail" - but so far there seems to be a way out.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Might save the $50.00 for a while, but sooner or later the self unlock method won't work. Then what? And, since the dealer recall does nothing to prevent the column lock, I would rather have the insurance.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Tony Skarbic said:
Might save the $50.00 for a while, but sooner or later the self unlock method won't work. Then what? And, since the dealer recall does nothing to prevent the column lock, I would rather have the insurance.
Has any one reported this "yank 'n turn" method failing yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keep the Dealer Away!

I just went through this on Monday with my 2001.. I had the car 2 months with a few electrical issues to date, Dealer wanted to charge me 450 to replace a motor in the column? We negotiated a trade-in instead. I now have a 2002 Z06, with 6k less miles, 30HP more, and less of an interest rate... for a little more then twice the 450.00 out of pocket! As much fun as it is watching the tow company try to get a Vette on a flat bed, I prefer driving my car.

Kudos to the dealer Penske in KOP, PA.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Having had the column lock recall done. If my steering wheel locks and I use this yank right - turn key method and the steering wheel frees itself, will my fuel still be cut off? A stupid question perhaps.... Thanks.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Young_Jedi said:
Having had the column lock recall done. If my steering wheel locks and I use this yank right - turn key method and the steering wheel frees itself, will my fuel still be cut off? A stupid question perhaps.... Thanks.
no :z:

·
Registered
32 Posts
steering column lock fix

Thanks for this "turn steering wheel hard to right while turning key. It works. Now my car won't have to sit out in the drive way all night:ity:
I'd still like to get a permanent fix and will try the $49.95 CLB since I already ordered overnight.
Jim

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have been struggling with this for a long time...only because I have not had a problem with it. No, I'm not bragging or anything, it's just that my car ain't broke so I don't want to fix it. Does that make sense?

I have purchased the bypass system already and stored it in my glove box. I'm afraid to install because I've heard something about the ECU or BCM going haywire because the bypass got installed, although I've yet to find anyone that could confirm that. I wonder if that was just BS or what. Since I haven't had the dreaded column lock yet I've just let things be.

I get a letter from Chevrolet almost ever two weeks telling me to come on in and get the whizbang computer flash that "fixes the problem" but I know that it really doesn't do anything except make certain the car cannot go anywhere if there is a malfunction. I've also read where Dave Hill stated column lock cannot happen if the car is already moving down the road. I don't want to tell Chevy to just forget about the proposed recall fix, but I also don't like the idea that I get repeated notices that cost Chevy postage and printing, wastes a tree...yada, etc. you know the drill.

I've considered the harness change and fix ala the auto 'vettes, but somehow cannot feel good about doing that when I've never had a problem to begin with.

So many opinions, so many decisions. As I stated before, right now nothing is broke so I don't want to try to fix something.

Can I get some opinions from those who have BTDT please?

Helpful advice is much appreciated!

Tom

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Tom

I hear ya on the trees the General has been cutting sending out the recall notices. If only there fix was as good as the timing every couple weeks of recall notices in the mailbox.
I refuse to have mine done, when all it they do is put a band-aid, on a slit wrist shooting blood.:mah:

Jack

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I can also attest to the fact that the turn-and-yank method does indeed unstick the wheel.

The design of the column lock is, IMO, stupid. There's a motor drive plunger with a limit switch at each end. The BCM can tell if the pluger is all the way "home" (wheel locked) or all the way retracted (wheel unlocked) by reading these switches. But if the pin is "in between", the BCM can't tell if the wheel is locked or unlocked and so by default assumes it's locked.

I'm not sure what's actually going on with the lock when the system fails. In my case, I could clearly hear the motor running each time I turned the key, but the pawl never disengaged. Yanking the wheel while turning the key freed the wheel up, it let go with a kind of ratcheting "snap", which suggests the problem is with the locking pin itself. The motor moves but the pin doesn't.

But, the A4 recall includes a new harness with a secondary relay that appears to be there to address "contact bounce". This suggests that GM thinks the problem is that the locking pin can move in or out slightly, due to momentary closure of the control relay, causing the pin to come off the limit switch and end up in the in-between state. So, I installed the A4 GM replacement harness, which also removes the locking plate from the steering column. Hopefully, this will prove to be a robust solution. Since now, if the locking pin does get "lost", there's nothing in the steering column that makes contact with it anymore and I won't be able to use the turn-and-yank method...

·
Registered
32 Posts
steering column lock fix

If I didn't have a supercharger and other mods, I would go ahead and do the recall. I'm going to proceed with the CLB because I can't do the recall with out them reconfigering the PCM and then I'd need to transport the car back to have it tuned and dyno'd again!
I was all over the internet checking various forums and sites for info, and I didn't find any accounts of problems with the bypass, some speculation but no firsthand accounts. there were some interesting permenant fixes that usually are done to automatics (A4) that were adapted to 6MN or 12M.

I'll let you know if I have a problem.

Jim

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I get the 'Service Column Lock' DIC notice everytime I start the car lately because my column NEVER locks!! Just push reset and procede!!

"Thank you Zora, you have answered my prayers"

Ken

1 - 20 of 20 Posts