Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hell does that mean?

I left my car undriven for a few days last week, and when I got back in town I had to jump start it. All of the electrical setting were reset, and now the trip computer reads SERVICE COLUMN LOCK everytime I start the car.

I already had the car towed over a year ago because of the column lock issue, and it's never been a problem since.

What's the deal?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Low battery voltage can sometimes trigger the column lock. I had it happen to mine after jumping it. Replaced the battery and it solved the problem. Don't bother towing, you can unlock it yourself. Pull the wheel clockwise as far as it will go, then while pulling turn the key. It should unlock.

·
Registered
390 Posts
the "search" function is your friend!lots of info available.i recommend the column lock by pass {easy to do} :thumb:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Javelin said:
Low battery voltage can sometimes trigger the column lock. I had it happen to mine after jumping it. Replaced the battery and it solved the problem. Don't bother towing, you can unlock it yourself. Pull the wheel clockwise as far as it will go, then while pulling turn the key. It should unlock.
This is very useful information - you'll want to remember to do this if you have the same issue again. I agree with replacing the battery.

Alex

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you want peace of mind, just install the column lock bypass and never worry about it again. Several of the vendors to the left carry it.

There is the recall you can have done, if you don't mind GM flashing your PCM. If you have had any special tuning done on the Z you will want to avoid this.

Steve

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had the recall done a long time ago. Two weeks ago started getting the "service column lock" notification every time I started the car. Dealer replaced some sort of module. This could be an electronic nightmare after a few years!

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
bypass kit..
google the words.. colum lock bypass kit houston

you will get it then

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
wvphoto said:
bypass kit..
google the words.. colum lock bypass kit houston

you will get it then
DITTO!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Try resetting the message by pulling the #23 and #25 fuse in the passenger footwell?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts