Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stand to be corrected on this question.

Can't the GM dealerships service dept. (chevy) take down your VIN and run it through the computer and get a copy of your cars build sheet?

Seems like they must have some record of what the car came equipped with from the factory to check/compare when you bring it in for any warranty work etc.

Doesn't look like any 2002 build sheets are available from NCM until the end of the production of the 02.

Thanks
:-?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You answered you own question, NCM at end of production. Unless you want to go fish for the one in front of the front frame cross member:eek:
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
GM service dealers can retreive the options list, in service date, and the outstanding recall information on the vehicle.
They cannot, however, obtain the production date it rolled off the assembly line.
Besttoyou, c4c5:eek2:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
The dealer can check the option status of your car by a factory installed sticker. The sticker is located in various places depending on car model. Look inside your globebox, under the trunk lid, or inside the door edge....hope this helps.

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks> The next time I'm over near the dealership I'll drop in and see what they can retrieve from their computer on my cars Vin. The car was built 8/3/01 and bought/registered 8/22/01.

What the hell you it can't hurt to see what info they have free.

Thanks again for your time. :guiness:

·
Registered
56 Posts
George,
That build sheet is out in your front crossmember, and it's calling your name........

C'mon, how hard can it be to disassemble the front of the car to get it???:p :crazy: :D :D

I feel your pain...... I will order mine as soon as they are available.

BTW, can someone take a digital pic of their build sheet and post it, or direct me to a link so I can see what one looks like?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Has anyone retrieved their Build Sheet from the front cross member?
When I toured the factory at the end of October the build sheet was laying in the passenger seat of the cars coming off the line, Prior to the body joining the frame it was taped to the cross member, then taped on the hood until the headlight doors were installed. After it turned the final corner they removed it from the hood and laid it on the seat. This is what I saw:-?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, I have retrieved the build sheet (copy)from the front cross member. I was at the factory prior to my Z's body/chassis marriage. I asked Sonny Kilgo exactly where they placed the build sheet in the frame and he pointed it out. I removed it and signed my name, date and time on the sheet and replaced it. It appears to me that it would only see the light of day again if the car was undergoing a major restoration. It is located just inside the left hand opening of the front crossmember. There are at least 3 copies of the build sheet in the factory while the car is on the line: One in the crossmember, one on the front of the sled that moves the car through the factory, and another in a large pile, output from a line printer like device. This last one has a large slash mark (green I think) through it as some sort of indicator. I believe that the one we all desire is the one that rides with the car. This is the one the workers on the line read for the car's options and configuration. Fortunately for me, I was there and I went home with it the day my car was built.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is really good information for the future owners or restorers of these cars many years from now.

I know my 67 came with a tank sticker (build sheet) which they attached to the left top side of the tank at the factory. These sheets along with a good documentation or the cars history mean a lot to restorers. Also the cars value.

Little things like the location of this build sheet (missng or in place) could tell you if the car has undgone any major repairs or restorations during it's life.

I'll pocket this frame info for sure and pass it on. Such good info maybe hard to come by on these cars 20/30 years from now.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Keystone said:
George,
That build sheet is out in your front crossmember, and it's calling your name........

C'mon, how hard can it be to disassemble the front of the car to get it???:p :crazy: :D :D

I feel your pain...... I will order mine as soon as they are available.

BTW, can someone take a digital pic of their build sheet and post it, or direct me to a link so I can see what one looks like?
i've got mine at home. if i think about it i'll post a pic of it for you.

-jc

·
Registered
332 Posts
aceZ06 said:
Has anyone retrieved their Build Sheet from the front cross member?
When I toured the factory at the end of October the build sheet was laying in the passenger seat of the cars coming off the line, Prior to the body joining the frame it was taped to the cross member, then taped on the hood until the headlight doors were installed. After it turned the final corner they removed it from the hood and laid it on the seat. This is what I saw:-?
Yes, what you saw was correct. BUT, there are two Build Sheets; one is inside the front cross frame and the one you saw on the front seat is usually put into the trunk or tossed when the car is cleaned. If it makes it to the dealer, it is rare. You have to find out when your car is being built and then tell the plant not to throw the Build Sheet out.

·
Registered
298 Posts
When I rec'd my GM survey I asked why build sheets weren't included with the car. I mean almost everybody that buys a Vette keeps EVERYTHING about the car and a build sheet would be a cool thing to have. Well when the survey made it back to the dealer, my salesman went online and pulled off a two page report on the car.

If I remember correctly the report has the same build date that Frank C. got for me two weeks prior to getting the report. I'll check it tonight when I get home and hopefully scan it if anyone is interested. The web address is listed but I can't get in, maybe it is only for dealers.

Paul
:z:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to hear everyone is trying their best to keep the documentation these cars come with. Most dealers could care less once you leave the lot or trade it in on something else.

All new/used corvette buyers should demand original window stickers,build sheets etc. But to each his own.

It's been my experience that the newer corvette owners like the 1990 -95 ZR1's and the Z06 owners are keeping good documents.
Apparently seeing the price of a 67 L71 (427ci/435hp) Coupe or Vert in original condition and "matching numbers"( ha ha,yea right ) are fetching up to six figures.

Apparenly in the 50's & 60's the cars had little documetation until the mid-60's. Very few people kept records of anything on the corvettes they owned then unless owned by a just a few owners during the cars life. Plus the cars are traded/sold at an astonishing rate during the life of the cars. Not to mention mods/wrecks/paint color changes etc.

The sad truth is most of our cars will be gone by the wayside by the time they make the NCRS age of 20 years to be a judged for points or a classic. The ones that do should make the restorers looking for documentation easier because of the education we all give each other with this web sight and others and the access a computer can give one.

I learn something new nearly everytime I tune in on this sight.

Thanks.

:) :guiness:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts