Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some serious wheel hop now, after lowering approx 1.5" and doing a proper alignment by GM !? My launch rpm's range from 2500 down to like 1700 - still hops like a bunny ... very embarassing. What gives !? :mad:

Could my bald tires have anything to do with it ? (Actually sticky now, though)

/rob

HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
1.5" lower holy crap. I have a hard enough time getting in and out of drives as it is..never mind lower??? It may have something to do with short-shaft pinion angle. I know that plays a huge factor how a car will launch and drive??? Maybe the angle is too steep now that you lowered it????:cheers:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Deb has told me that she is working with you on this. Listen to her, she is strong in suspension diagnosis. I feel that your lowering is what caused it also, however, you must give her the specs to proceed.
Besttoyou, and you are in good hands, c4c5

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I just did. I spoke to you on the phone a while back, an vowed to never lower it again. I brought it back to spec, it was fine - now I lowered it again :( - It sucks man .... I should never have - I got this feeling I will have to put it back to spec ;). I will need to order all new bushings and those front bolt w/bushing material on them, bushings as well.... shouldn't be too bad - but I hope Deb can help me fine the torque spec on each bolt, back to stock on an 01 Z :-?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, by the way - I'm an arse - sometimes I never learn :) - hehe - so embarassing having to learn from bad experiences.

I'm one of the few willing to talk about my mistakes out loud, so others can learn I guess.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You know.. One of the great challenges of car work is that you *must* get it right. It isn't like deciding to fix something around the house, where you can just put it away for a while if you get frustrated and deal with it later. Or just go buy a new one, etc.

If you take your car apart, you have to get it right! That's part of the appeal and challenge..

A friend of mine with more money than sense just had this experience. At the end of July, he decided to change the head gasket on the diesel in his sailboat. He's never done *any* car work in his life. I told him he was in way over his head, and he should start with something more simple. I repeatedly told him that I did not have time to bail him out (Last Winter I helped a good friend replace a larger diesel in a 44' I crew on.. Whew!).

Nope, he had to do it. He just wouldn't pay a mechanic the excessive $1000 to do the job. He figured he could change the gasket in a single weekend. It is just a 2 cylinder diesel, right?

Sure enough, he calls me and tells me he can't get the head bolts off. He explains that the torque value is only 70 ft/lbs, so he should be able to get it off with a short ratchet. Yet he's pulling with this little ratchet and can't figure out why it won't come lose. He then asks me if I've ever had a car project where I just couldn't get a bolt off. So far over his head.. I laughed so hard that I just about dropped the phone.

So I explained static friction and the magic of the 'breaker bar'. So he goes out and buys a breaker bar and gets the bolts off..

Anyway, his boat sat there all of August and most of September before he finally got it together. So far over his head..

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dunno what you are trying to imply here... but whether you are sying that I am just as lost as your friend, or I should not take too long to do it - or whatever you are trying to say; I do appreciate the lenghthy response. You are right, it's all about the fun and challenge in it, as you go thru it.

Having said that , I actually wish - in a good way, that most vettes including mine never work exactly how we want them - which should keep us busy :) but please, help me fix this wheel hop ... ha hahaa... ;):D :cool:

G

·
FWIW..why not just set the height to what GM recommends on the zo6..it was a 15 mm lowering..

I believe that both the zo6 and the z51 suspension sits 15 mm's higher than a base model corvette. I checked this at a show..
Possibly 12mm's lower stock on a base versus a z51 or zo6..

That works out to 1/2 inch or 5/8ths of an inch.

It takes the high boy look away and yet keeps everything in balance so much so..GM uses that as a recommendation.

I wish you the best of luck but I believe if you went after this a second time..you could easily go back up to the height of what GM recommends on a performance application. A lowered height of 15mm's from stock.

One other thing..

Remember the key to balancing mods is to stay within the manufacturers design specs. Altering the application is OK..so your not an Arse. ...but I would consider altering what you've done slightly to get the results you're after.

You can and should also allow another more seasoned drag racer who you know and trust try and launch your car....it could be something you're doing ..(and trust me..this is not an insult..I certainly could do no better)

Keep the faith..and try for a happy medium before you go all the way back up to stock.

JB

G

·
The look of this lowered C5 with z51 although not a zo6 might be the balance that will work for you both at the track and on the road.

Just a hair lower than a base suspension C5 so those considering this will have no issues getting in and out of driveways either..

I realized this fact at Corvette show I was at..

I think its the higher spring rate that causes the zo6 and z51 to sit 1/2 an inch or so higher than a base corvette..

I thought the base to Z51/ZO6 ride height was interesting and I believe once you set your car to this height ..you will experience no trouble and get rid of the slightly highboy look.

Personally..my car z51 set to this height..dropped the 15 mm's from stock looks great and has no drivability issues at all..

I would recommend this to anyone who asked..

check the link yourself and decide..

PS..this is not a flame to those who decide to go lower..

As they say..different strokes for different folks. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might end up having to go back higher, about 3/4" - and see what happens. After that, if it continues to screw me ... I will have no choice but to bring the FE4 back to norm ...oh well, life goes on - until I get the best of both worlds (Looks and drag-ability) - it's GM's design problem, I guess.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I dunno what you are trying to imply here... but whether you are sying that I am just as lost as your friend, or I should not take too long to do it - or whatever you are trying to say; I do appreciate the lenghthy response. You are right, it's all about the fun and challenge in it, as you go thru it.
Whoops - I left off the disclaimer. I was *not* comparing you to him! :)

I was just using him as the poster child for the challenge aspect. You don't get to play with your toy until it is fixed. :cheers:

In a way though.. Anyone lowering their C5 *is* in way over their head. There's so much that goes into making that suspension work as well as it does. The only reason lowering works is because it is still within the design specs.

The question is.. Where is the sweet spot??

G

·
The design spec is 15 mm's lower than stock height..

Trust me! Better yet..trust your GM video or manual..on the zo6

This will bring you to a bit lower than a base suspension Corvette.

Rob...give your car to C5pig to launch your car a few times for just 5 minutes...

then you will have your answer.

15 mm's. (change the bolt that much)

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am at least 1 1/2" lower than stock on my Z06 and have no wheel hop at all, my convertible use to hop like a bunny at the stock height, it got a little better after lowering it about 1 1/2" but still had some wheel hop.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I haven't had any wheel hop problems, except when sidestepping the clutch from a 15mph roll at 4000-5000 rpm. But that was actually before lowering the car. But it did wheel hop violently.

But in lowering my car using the provided procedures I came up with one small issue. Once it was all done, the gap over the front and rears tires is now different. The fronts have about 2 1/2" and the back has 1 1/4.

So, I guess that I am going to have to run the adjuster bolts back up in the back a bit to pick the back of the car some. I don't want to put the front down any further, as I don't want getting in and out of the driveway getting any more difficult than it already is.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just one more reason I'm going to keep my car BONE STOCK....I'll trust the GM engineers who had millions of dollars to play with to find the optimum settings(middle ground) for all components of this amazing car..........just me:)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Our car like any other is a series of compromises. The owners video along with plenty of other sources indicate that lowering the car is of no detriment to the vehicle is done within the design parameters of the vehicle. This mod is no different than any other to the car. If you remain within bounds you are fine. If you step out of bounds you may encouter issues which you will need to resolve. This would be no different than swapping to a cam or injectors that went beyond the limits of the factory calibration of the PCM. I respect your decision to not lower your vehicle. But mine sat up far too high stock, so I decided to improve the handling and appearance. As always the logic remains "moderation in everything".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts