Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this problem getting progessively worse, but my headlights shake when I hit expansion joints on highways or slight surface imperfections. It started out with just the right headlight doing it (I could tell by the reflections on road signs on the right side of the road). Now, the left side shakes when I hit bumps and the right side has become noticably worse. It is really annoying. :mah:

Has anyone else here had this problem??? Is there a service bulletin for this sort of thing? My guess would be that there is slack developing in the motors...?

Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There have been some folks with headlight motors that keep running after the lights go down but I haven't heard of this problem before. Usually, if the motor goes bad it causes the problem I mentioned above. Can you shake them by hand or does it only occur while driving? No TSB's that I'm aware of for headlights. Maybe someone else has some better info.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The motors function perfectly, however, I am able to pull up on the front lip of the headlight ever so slightly. The is about an 1/8" of play there.....almost as if the lamp could open a little bit more.

Does anyone else notice this slack when the lamps are in the open position???

·
Registered
16 Posts
My headlights will have a little play when up, but I have not noticed them shaking while driving. My Trans Am did this as well, I think it is normal for lights like this to have a little play, it is gears and a motor holding them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not so much that I can see then shaking while I'm driving, but it is just enough to jar the filament and create a shaky beam of light.

???

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have this same problem but i no longer have the stock headlight assemblys. I replaced them with the glass euro code assemblys and i get some beam shake over rough roads. I know the glass assemblys weigh more than the plastic ones and thought that could be causing it. I could swear over real rough roads that the doors bounce up and down. I can't find a fix for it but would like a ansewer for it. Sorry i can't be more help.Greg :z:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine don't shake. Also, on my C4 that I traded, I had no problem with shaking either.

Maybe there is a bushing or something that is worn. I would say just remove the plastic trim piece around the light and see if anything appears loose when you try to move the light up and down. Maybe you'll get lucky and it's an easy to replace bushing or something....

Good luck...

-Dave C. '04 Z06

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg, I also have the T-84's. I bought them thinking that it would help the shaking of the original housings, but it didn't help at all.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Hopefully, someone here will know what causes this.

Until then, I will give them another inpection to see if I can find any loose parts.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
dilly03 said:
Greg, I also have the T-84's. I bought them thinking that it would help the shaking of the original housings, but it didn't help at all.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Hopefully, someone here will know what causes this.

Until then, I will give them another inpection to see if I can find any loose parts.

Thanks guys.

Please let me know if you find anything. I got my lights from Brian Marks(PFYC.com) and he said maybe since they are euro lights that the euro brackets would help.Since they are pricey he gave up on it.Another thing i;m getting ready to install a HID kit in the lights and Brian said that the shake will be noticeable with the kit.Only time will tell.Greg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Since I first noticed the development of this issue, I have installed Euro's and HID's and none of em fixed my original problem. It never got any worse, nor did it get better.

That wasn't the only reason I installed them, but I thought that it might help....maybe...

I'll just take some time this weekend and inspect the headlamp assemblies.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
dilly03 said:
Since I first noticed the development of this issue, I have installed Euro's and HID's and none of em fixed my original problem. It never got any worse, nor did it get better.

That wasn't the only reason I installed them, but I thought that it might help....maybe...

I'll just take some time this weekend and inspect the headlamp assemblies.

Please let me know if you find anything.Thanks Greg :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
any one find a solution for this yet?

i replaced my passenger side light assembly with another one that came of a normal C5 and that one has the jitters :( well for what i could see the handle that pops the head light up and down the place where it hooks up with the light ( the glass part) it self there is a locking NUT there. It looks like a nut but it does not have any threads on it at the end it has a bushing kind of thing that holds it down i think the pastic part that holds the bolt in has gotten wider and that is why it shakes i will take some pics and try to do a tape mod :) tape the bolt up so it is a little thicker and see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Euro lenses and I have the same issue. The euro's are heavier, so the stock springs don't hold the lights firm when up. From what I have heard there are different springs for the euro bound vettes to accomodate the heavier lenses. If one could find a way to move the springs back so that the lights are more taught when extended (or find shorter springs) I believe the "bouncing" would be cured.

I have to put HIDs in, I will take a look.

-N

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed this problem getting progessively worse, but my headlights shake when I hit expansion joints on highways or slight surface imperfections. It started out with just the right headlight doing it (I could tell by the reflections on road signs on the right side of the road). Now, the left side shakes when I hit bumps and the right side has become noticably worse. It is really annoying. :mah:

Has anyone else here had this problem??? Is there a service bulletin for this sort of thing? My guess would be that there is slack developing in the motors...?

Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I was just at the dealer today asking they could do,,not a thing,,,what solution did you come up with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts