Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago my '02 Z wouldnt start. I'd turn the key to the start position and nothing would happen, also the guages and radio would die. After 4 or 5 times of turning the key all the way to start and back to off, it finally decided to fire up. That is strange thing number one.

Number two, yesterday the car was parked and running, and all of a sudden the DIC flashed a message saying "engine power reduced, service soon, service ah, service tc, service abs". Maybe 6 months ago I had the ah/tc/abs computer module replaced. The problem hasn't happened again today when I drove it.

Number three, the driver's side door controls are all dead. The windows, mirror, memory buttons all do nothing. The passenger side door still has a functioning window button though.

What do y'all think? The dealer can't look at it until monday at the earliest, because heaven forbid a service department work on weekends. :roll:

Also, before they replaced that computer module, they couldn't fix it unless I could deliver the car to them actually flashing the error message....will I have to wait until the car is completely broken down and needs to be towed before they will be able to diagnose and repair the car?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Maybe the battery's dying on you? Do you still have the original battery in there?

For mine, there was no indication of my battery dying up until 5 minutes before it did... At that point, I couldn't start the car at all, and the car would beep funky noises :)

I got really scared something pricey had just gone :D Luckily, I just had to get a new battery and all was well again!

:cheers:
Geoff

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me, and it was a weak battery that couldn't hold a charge. I bought an Optima Yellow Top and I've never had a problem since. If you search this site, the consensus seems to be that the stock battery is garbage.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If you can't wait till Monday or just want to fix it yourself pull the battery and have it checked out on a test set. It's free at most auto part store's. Sounds like it's about to die.

D.J.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Got the battery, alternator, and starter test done at pep boys and everything checked out ok. Evidently I have gremlins in there... :(

Also I've just noticed that when I lock the car with the remote, the alarm arms but the locks don't lock, so now I have to manually lock the locks then arm the alarm with the remote.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wet 'puter

Same thing happened to my 99 coupe. Turns out that the computer got wet. (Located in pass-side front wheelwell - turns out that the prev owner had some undercarriage damage in that area, and some water got in. Good thing the dealership was on my way to work.) Warranty covered the computer *sigh of relief* (over $900 if I recall correctly). If it does turn out to be a computer problem, try to find out WHY it went bad... as to avoid eating the bill again. Inspect the area around the computer and make sure that it is well-sealed and no moisture got in. If not, it could just be a defective unit.

Best of luck to you.
just my $0.02
-A

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Could be a bad PCM. I had to have mine replaced, but all it was doing was turning on the idiot light. :drunk:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I wouldn't put too much trust into the tool they used at Pep boys unless they did a load test. Sometimes their tester only checks for a shallow charge and not a deep charge. If your battery is close to 3 years old, you probably need to replace it. Mine did the same thing just before dying.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I agree with the battery assesment. My car did similar stuff, would still crank fine, but was having weird electrical gremlins. Replacing the battery cured all of them.

If that doesn't work, you can check the grounds, aparently they get corroded and cause similar issues.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
jzmopar1969 said:
A few days ago my '02 Z wouldnt start. I'd turn the key to the start position and nothing would happen, also the guages and radio would die. After 4 or 5 times of turning the key all the way to start and back to off, it finally decided to fire up. That is strange thing number one.

Number two, yesterday the car was parked and running, and all of a sudden the DIC flashed a message saying "engine power reduced, service soon, service ah, service tc, service abs". Maybe 6 months ago I had the ah/tc/abs computer module replaced. The problem hasn't happened again today when I drove it.

Number three, the driver's side door controls are all dead. The windows, mirror, memory buttons all do nothing. The passenger side door still has a functioning window button though.

What do y'all think? The dealer can't look at it until monday at the earliest, because heaven forbid a service department work on weekends. :roll:

Also, before they replaced that computer module, they couldn't fix it unless I could deliver the car to them actually flashing the error message....will I have to wait until the car is completely broken down and needs to be towed before they will be able to diagnose and repair the car?
I should have known "She" refers to a car. I have very little knowledge of women so am quite useless there. Sounds like you are definitely experiencing a short of some sort if the battery has been ruled out as a source of problems.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Funny, my battery died on Wednesday. Worked fine until I shut it down, then it wouldn't start. Made all the same funky noises, beeps, A/H, T/C "service soon" errors, etc...

Replaced the battery, cleared the codes.... all is well. :jammin:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She's in the shop today....so far the driver's side door controls problem has been ruled a faulty "driver's side module"...so they tell me I so far will owe them my $200 GMPP deductible plus another 100 bucks for them to "diagnose" it. Thus far they haven't determined the cause of the "occasional start" problem. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well she's back. According to the shop ticket, the problem was "bad ground g201 terminal n6620 wiring and/or connector power and grounds distribution repair or replace" Unfortunately the tech was gone for the day and thus could not tell me where aforementioned repair took place and or the cause of the problem. Oh and they performed the steering column recall without my permission....and I guess that required the 5 miles added on my odometer when I got the car back???

·
Registered
162 Posts
Oh my gosh!!! That just happened to me today!

I have been having problems with the "Service A/H, Service TCS, Service ABS" lights in the DIC for about 2 months now. One morning when I started it for work, the warnings automatically came on with start up.

Anyway, I have been battling with that off and on since then, but in the last 4 to 5 days the warnings come on almost every start up. TODAY, after getting in the car after work, the car would not start at all. Just like what happened to you. I would push in the clutch, turn the key and all of my electronics would start, but the car would not even turn over and all of the chimes and the same SERVICE warnings came on but would not go off. When I would turn the key to the start position, the analog volt gauge would go WAY down.

I started to think I was up shiX creek when on the fourth or fifth try, it started up.?.?.?

When I got home, I turned it off and tried to start it back up. It started just fine. I haven't messed with it since.

I'm worried. :cry:

The only other warning I have ever seen is a "charge system fault" that happened on start up only 2 times. I was worried about the battery but the analog gauge never showed below 13.0 volts.

I have seen so many messages on these warnings. I think we should bring this up to GM and make them start a recall on these issues. Maybe I'm just venting...

danny

·
Registered
10 Posts
jzmopar1969 said:
Oh and they performed the steering column recall without my permission....and I guess that required the 5 miles added on my odometer when I got the car back???
I agree they should advise you of this but the dealer is not allowed to return your car without performing saftey recalls. The cannot release an "unsafe" vehicle back to the customer.

Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts