Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, anyone know if you're not actually pressing down the clutch when shifting, does it safe clutch that way or is it unreleavant?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dr.Ron said:
IF it saves the clutch, it ruins the tranny & gears....Why would you want to do such a thing? If it was not necessary, the clutch would have been an option. Don't you want to use your new shifter????
Ron

from my experience shifting without clutch hurts nothing! obsvously if you know how to do it, If you dont know how to do it all happens is you grind which makes you stop...

ofcourse I wanna use my shifter, thats what I mean, what do you mean??...

I drive my Isuzu Rodeo everyday without a cluch and no problem with trans, on occassion I drive the Z06 without clutch,no problems so far with 20k miles and alot of raced miles...

but Im not telling anyone to drive without a clutch, Im actually a rare one at that, I learned how to drive without a clutch when I was 16 and I've done it for many years, I was just curious because my clutchs seem to last more then others, maybe its the fact that I dont leave my foot on top of the clutch while at the light, which could be a reason for lasting clutchs even when I use drag radials and pop it alot too, so I was just wondering out of curiousity, but since its problably rare that anyone shifts without a clutch then it would have to be answered in a technical standpoint not from experience :thumb:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dr.Ron said:
IF it saves the clutch, it ruins the tranny & gears....Why would you want to do such a thing? If it was not necessary, the clutch would have been an option. Don't you want to use your new shifter????
Ron

you need the clutch to take off, there is no harm on the trans because theres a point in the trans where the gear goes in regardless of clutch, the trans doesnt know the clutch is engaged or not, remember the clutch is part of the engine not the trans, at least that what I know :pp:

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I used to drive my 70 BB w/M21 without a clutch sometimes, just because I could.
The shifts, up and down, had to be either very meticulous i.e. slow or timed perfectly! Syncros will get burned up by making up for your imprecision!
Semi drivers do it all the time! But they aren't doing anything other than RPM matching and are in no hurry!!
I'll put the wear on my clutch, not the gearbox!!

Ken

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think its a good skill to have. I've known of a few Z06 drivers that have lost a clutch, and had to be flat bedded home. And one driver that lost his clutch and drove to LA from Vegas on it (imagine the towing charges he saved!).

The problem with the C5 driveline arrangement, is that it effectively makes the driveshaft the input shaft of the trans. This puts a lot of wear on the syncros - while using the clutch. A proper clutchless shift will put ZERO wear on the syncros (or any other part for that matter), and the trans will last a lot longer. Provided you can do it perfectly, all the time.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
I've upshifted a Formula Ford (straight cut gears - no synchros) without using the clutch. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. Pedal to the metal, lift, shift, pedal to the metal - slick & very fast.
I don't shift my Z that way, however. But now I might have to try it :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
If the car was intended to be driven without the use of a clutch, it would'nt have one. :crazy: I think I'll use my clutch. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
clutchless shift

Do you actually take the Z to red line then bang into the next gear? What is it you do when drag racing. Interesting topic.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You can shift without a clutch all you want, with no harm to the transmission, provided you do it "right". Gettnig the engine RPM right, to match the speed of the transmission for the gear you're selecting is tricky, but when you hit it the gearbox will engage with no wear at all.

As mentioned by others, it's kind of silly to do when an otherwise perfectly good clutch will let the synchros do the speed matching for you, just for the trouble of depressing the pedal. But, it's still a good technique to have, as anyone who's ever lost a clutch (like me, when a little 3" braided wire cable that went between the slave cylinder and clutch fork on my 85 SVO Mustang broke leaving the clutch permanently engaged) can attest.

You can try it on the highway, get the car to 60 in 5th, downshift to 4th and take note of the engine RPM. Accelerate back to 60 in 5th, take the car out of gear and coast. Rev the engine to the previously noted RPM and "gently" select 4th. The transmission should slip right in to gear without even a hiccup and viola! You've shifted without using the clutch!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
RocketSled said:
You can try it on the highway, get the car to 60 in 5th, downshift to 4th and take note of the engine RPM. Accelerate back to 60 in 5th, take the car out of gear and coast. Rev the engine to the previously noted RPM and "gently" select 4th. The transmission should slip right in to gear without even a hiccup and viola! You've shifted without using the clutch!
Understood.....BUT, what's the point????? You have to do it perfectly, it's takes longer, just would never see a reason to do it other then to see if you could......
Ron

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I wouldn't do it. You're putting a lot of stress on the gearbox. Also, if you don't get it right, you will grind the sh** out of your gears. I'd rather use the clutch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
hey, anyone know if you're not actually pressing down the clutch when shifting, does it safe clutch that way or is it unreleavant?
Like some others above, sure you can do it. Why ?

On the steet, "matched" downshifts with clutch, and heel & toed brake & throttle "feel good". So do max RPM upshifts "breathing" the clutch/throttle a bit.
I think that's "fun driving".

Your mileage may vary road-racing, or DE track day, or at the dragstrip. :thumb:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Not done it on the Z but it freaks people out when they see it done. I've won quite a bit of money with bets on driving without a clutch.

Racing without using the clutch is wonderful or horrible. It's so fun to make it through all the gears at full throttle w\o the clutch & no grinding--it's horrible to misjudge the rpm messing of the gears. OUCH :eek2:

I would say that it's a little harder on the trans in that the shift is more abrupt then with the slow engagement of the clutch. That's how it feels to me anyway.

It's a useful ability to have. Let the gear grinding begin :cheers:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
I wouldn't do it. You're putting a lot of stress on the gearbox. Also, if you don't get it right, you will grind the sh** out of your gears. I'd rather use the clutch.
No!

When you do it right you put ZERO wear on the trans.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Dr.Ron said:
Understood.....BUT, what's the point????? You have to do it perfectly, it's takes longer, just would never see a reason to do it other then to see if you could......
Ron
Or to save your left leg for more important things, like WALKING.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Harley45 said:
Do you actually take the Z to red line then bang into the next gear? What is it you do when drag racing. Interesting topic.

No racing or drag racing without a clutch, although it can be done! I do it on normal driving, If I was to do spirited driving it would take longer, so ofcourse I use it...

and like others said, If its done right , hurting the trans is out of the equation ofcourse, I was just curious if it really saves any clutch by doing it that way, not that I would start driving it diffrent(ie more without clutch)...

for your guys that drag race, a power shift puts 99% more wear on a trans then normal driving without a clutch, actually when you shift so rapidly sometimes you dont even give it time for the clutch to come to a factor, you press it down but on occassion you shifted before the clutch came into play :p

1 - 20 of 47 Posts