Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my phantom shift knob from Zip products. What a piece of junk. The add says it threads onto the stock shifter. Very misleading. It comes with seven different plastic inserts which are not threaded that you are supposed to screw onto the shift knob. Only one fit. As I screwed it on it essentially made its own threads, but they were not strong enough to keep the knob from twisting in my hand.
I really like the tall knob over the stock ball, but I'm not sure how I can get it on there firmly without gluing it.
Anyone else have found a good shift knob they like?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sorry about your bad experience Man!! :(

I am using a MOMO Race Air Leather. Absolutely love it!! Been thinking about a Flameball, but I am thinking they might be slippery during shifts, although they are cool looking.

Here's my Momo, bought from RG at Exit 28, a supporting vendor.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had the same type of expierience when I put mine on. I took one of the extra adaptors and drilled and tapped it for 9/16" and this allows you to put it on and get it tight also. I do agree that their adaptors leave a lot to be desired.:cheers:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can we see more pictures ?

Hey guys...can I see more pictures of shiftknobs ? Anyone have pictures of a red/black knob or a silver knob ? Anyone have an opinion on the Hardbar Delrin knob ? I am looking for something very racy ! Thanks ! :D

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maverick,
Thanks, I was thinking about drilling and tapping myself. Not sure if I wanted to go through the trouble not knowing if it would work. But based on your input, I'll give that a shot before I send it back.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Harley B turned alot of us onto the Hardbar shifter several months back. He posted pics of this knob with a glowing review. Since then I checked out the feel on a couple of our fellow members Z06's and was sold. The Hardbar knob is made from Delrin. Frank Calmes, being involved in the automotive industry for many years, told me months back that this material is NOT prone to heat transfer from the transmission via the shifter. My understanding is that some of the knobs out on the market get way too hot. FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
With all this talk about shift knobs I have yet to see a ZO6 knob.I would like to have one in any type of metal(stainless,aluminum,etc.).....Does anyone know of such a knob?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
GaryZ06 said:
With all this talk about shift knobs I have yet to see a ZO6 knob.I would like to have one in any type of metal(stainless,aluminum,etc.).....Does anyone know of such a knob?
I think it's West Coast Corvettes who sells a stainless knob with "Z06" on it. It's pretty sharp looking -- as a paperweight. ;) The shape of it (tapered to the bottom) looks like it'd be VERY uncomfortable for shifting!

As for the Hardbar knob, I have one in my car, and I love it. Talk about racey -- it resembles the knobs in the C5-R cars. It's very comfortable, SCREWS ON (none of that set-screw crap), and doesn't get hot. Very possitive feel, too.

Good luck!

-Kirk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have to second that recommendation for the Hardbar with one condition...it has to be on a short shifter. I tried it on the stock shifter and felt that it was too high. With the B&M Ripper, it is perfect. I remember someone saying the Ripper/Hardbar combination is like working the action of a $12,000 sniper rifle and they are exactly right.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a alum/leather knob. its got a corvette logo on it. Dont get it. It feels fine at first but in hot weather it heats up and its starting to rust or tarnish. but the main reason is after racing and some hard shifts the alum actually cuts into your hand. I didnt notice it untill afterwards but its sharp enough to start taking layers of skin off. I wouldnt recomened it to anyone.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Extreme Shift Knob

I have the silver brushed aluminum knob from Nate @ Extreme.

It has the 6 - speed pattern engraved and screwed right on my Ripper.

IMO.... looks great, and feels even better! Especially in my QS... :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also ordered the 6-speed aluminum knob from Nate and will be installing it on top of a Ripper next week.

Any heat build-up in the knob? Vibration factor?

Really looking forward to ditching the stock unit. GM could have done better.

TRF

1 - 20 of 36 Posts