Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kinda curious, all this talk about aftermarket shifters and stuff. I remember the 6 speed transmission on our 99 convertible we had was flawless. Hardly ever missed a shift and went right into gear. I loved the stock shifter and shift gate location. Just curious why a lot of you all dont like the stock shifter/shifter feel. I thought it was a great piece. Please fill me in :-?

Andy

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
you said it yourself, "hardly ever missed a shift". With a good shifter like the Ripper you will never miss a shift.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hardly meaning, hardly ever. Even the best racecar drivers miss shifts. It will happen no matter what kinda shifter you have. Im sure its a lot easier not to with an aftermarket one. But stock shifters are nice.

Andy

·
Registered
0 Posts
N4C5S said:
:yeadog:

JC
I have the Ripper and Sherylann has the stock shifter. The Ripper is very positive and has a great feel. I'm sure the other aftermarket shifters are good also.

Whenever I drive Sherylann's Z, I feel like I am rowing a boat and have a hard time figuring out which gear I'm in. I hate it!! Sherylann is now considering a different shifter. She'll probably go with a Kirban or a Corvette Concepts shifter. She's starting to like my Ripper, but the springs are a little stiff for her chickenwing arms.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I understand that the Kirban with Delrin Hardbar shift knob are the same ones used by the GM C5R Racing Team. Harley B also has one. If they're good enough for Ron Fellows, they're good enough for me. Got one on the way from Exit-28 Motorsports. ;)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I have been using mine for 10,000 miles and I think it is fine. I haven't missed a shift that I recall. Perhaps if I were really racking it through the gears hard continuously, I might see a need for one. I have it through the gears on a few occasions, only for one shifting run at a time and had no problems.

Still I might get the Hurst, if, and when it becomes available. I have enough niggling complaints about the Ripper to know it is far from optimal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts