Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a C4 a few days ago and it has a B&M ripper. I really didn't like the feel of the shifter. It felt heavy and took lots of effort to move it. Would this be the same way with the Hurst and Kirban shifters? I use to have a 97 SS with a Pro 5.0 shifter and I loved it. I'm hoping to find a shifter that would be simliar

·
21,386 Posts
I think all the aftermarket billet shifters will be somewhat stiff but loosen up with use. They'll never have the "hot knife through butter" feel though.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
jub jub said:
I think all the aftermarket billet shifters will be somewhat stiff but loosen up with use. They'll never have the "hot knife through butter" feel though.
Yep :thumb: . Most models are adjustable and you can alter the feeling somewhat. However, as Jub, Jub stated, time seems to be the biggest factor - after about 500 miles or so is when they seem to settle down to steady state. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I agree .... I had the Pro 5.0 in my T/A, easier to throw around, but I like my Ripper better in the Vette.

Les

Backlash said:
Yep :thumb: . Most models are adjustable and you can alter the feeling somewhat. However, as Jub, Jub stated, time seems to be the biggest factor - after about 500 miles or so is when they seem to settle down to steady state. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Aren't we comparing apples to oranges here? Paul said the car he drove was a C4. The C4/C5 transmission, linkage and shifter are worlds apart in design and function. I don't think the "feel" of a C4 shifter can be used to explain how the same brand shifter will "feel" in the C5. Just my opinion so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the notchy feeling and positive throws of the Pro 5.0. I'm not looking for something that I can shift with a finger but I also don't want a workout on shifting either. I was making a comparison with the C4 also since my SS had the same tranny. Hey Jub...do you have an aftermarket shifter in your? Also, do you know anyone in the club that has an aftermarket one? Perhaps this is one of those things I'll have to experience myself

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Any brand of aftermarket shifter would be an improvement over the stock one. I've got the BPP, it's adjustable to fit any size driver, and the improvement in precision is very noticeable. The replaceable springs have no bearing on shifting stiffness, they merely change the amount of self-centering in the neutral gate. I've tried 3 different combos, and the stiffest springs work best for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts