Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what shifter are you guys running? B&M? Kirban? stock? cut down stock?

just curious, i've tried a short throw briefly never really took to it :bang:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have the B&M Ripper. At first I hated it because it was WAY too notchy. I bought a Breathless shifter a week later, and that was even worse! I missed shifts all the time, and the noise it made drove me nuts. I sold the BPP shifter a week later, and put the Ripper back in the car, and never looked back. It loosened up over time, and has a great feel, with very minimal noise.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
B&M here, very happy.

Les

robiferretti said:
what shifter are you guys running? B&M? Kirban? stock? cut down stock?

just curious, i've tried a short throw briefly never really took to it :bang:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Installed the Hurst over 3 years ago... I'm not a "shifter" expert but have had no problems with it and I've NEVER missed a shift. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Had 'em all....cut down stock is far superior to any aftermarket shifter. Go to the other Forum and do a search. "Chucky" is the expert over there and there are 4 stages of modification....I went the max to Stage 4. It's so bitchen. No noise or vibration and you don't need "Popeye" arms to shift it and you'll never go into 2nd gear on the 3-4 shift, which one of my aftermarket shifters did to me at the strip :jawdrop:

The after market shifters put more leverage on the tranny and in a couple of years you'll start having tranny problems if your are an agressive shifter. My tranny has been beefed up by Rockland Standard gear in New York. Has carbon fiber discs in it and shifts like butter. Also an output shaft 7 times stronger than stock along with a steel fork on the 3-4 shift(stock is aluminum and bends). Better gear ratios on 5th and 6th.

:guiness:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I use the Kirban, at first it was stif, now it's fine with no noise at all.. You do have a point about wear on the trans, but if you have the stops set up right you shouldn't have those problems, plus the steel shift forks would help as well.

Just my .02 worth.

Ernie

·
Registered
579 Posts
I tried aftermarket, it rattled and broke my arm trying to get it into gear. I modified the stock one and am extremely happy. make sure you keep the rubber bits to avoid tranny noise filtering into the cabin.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
01ZEE06 said:
Had 'em all....cut down stock is far superior to any aftermarket shifter. Go to the other Forum and do a search. "Chucky" is the expert over there and there are 4 stages of modification....I went the max to Stage 4. It's so bitchen. No noise or vibration and you don't need "Popeye" arms to shift it and you'll never go into 2nd gear on the 3-4 shift, which one of my aftermarket shifters did to me at the strip :jawdrop:
The man is 100% correct. :yeadog: I used "Chucky's" instructions and photos and built on that. I tried a couple of the aftermarket shifters and kept coming back to the "stock" shortened shifter that I made myself. No missed shifts, no vibration, no rattles, no noise and shorter throws than ANY aftermarket shifter. Don't knock 'em if you ain't tried one!

Charlie

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
No more chucky links there

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Thanks Charlie :) You are a Gentleman and a Scholar :cheers:

Try a search on "shortened stock shifter" and see what pops up.....I saved the instructions.....somewhere. I'd be happy to find 'em and snail mail a copy. If I remember correctly it's about 8 pages. Originally there were pictures, but my copy may or may not have the pix. Just PM me with your mailing address and name. Happy to help :)

I have an '05 WRX STI with the $400.00 shortened stock shifter option which the car mag guys love. It's pretty good, but no where as good as my Z's. On the track in the Subie, you can miss gears....like a 5-4 downshift that goes into 6th gear. That will never happen in my Z.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
PM me the instructions if you've got them, no luck with the "shortened stock shifter" search, same threads I'd already seen.
I have a Hurst now and like it, just don't like how tight it is may try to cut the springs next or no springs.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I have had a Hurst in my car for more than 10k miles and it has never been a problem. No noise, no rattling and the shifts are short and crisp. A bit stiff at first, but loosened up after a couple thousand miles. Highly recommended!

:thumb: :thumb:

Jim

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
TAC said:
I have the new C6 shifter and really like it.
Thats what I am thinking about going to, Hurst is too stiff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts