Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY, this is one awesome car with great potential, BUT the shifter is the biggest piece of sh_t I have ever used! How does GM justify a crap shifter on an otherwise great car? I mean this car RIPS!!!! but it is easy to blow a shift thanks to the junk shifter. Anyone have a fix for this or is there a replacement or aftermarket shifter available??? Awesome car otherwise! Bill:(

·
Registered
680 Posts
Changing the knob really helps!.....So should the new Hurst:-D

·
Registered
420 Posts
Love my Ripper shift and Momo knob. Makes a HUGE difference.

Why are people still waiting on Hurst? Unknown shifter that has been pushed back over and over and over.... Go get a ripper. :)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Install a B&M Ripper or Kirban (or Hurst if it ever comes out) short shifter. First mod I plan on doing :D.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Getting a Kirban in October. :)

Shift carefully and slow now. :(

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
2k Cobra said:
Getting a Kirban in October. :)

/B]

In October?! Sounds like there's some good reason why you're waiting 'til October to get one, but one you get an aftermarket shifter in your car, you'll wish you had put it in sooner!

I went with the Ripper (after the Corvette Concepts and Kirban shifters). Good, good stuff. :D

-Kirk

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I don't have any problem with the stock shifter, but I am considering an aftermarket shifter. I am waiting a while until the Hurst shifter is available which should be in the next few weeks.

The main advantage of the Hurst is that it is more adjustable to your own particular tastes. There was a gentlemen over on the other forum who recently reviewed the Kirban, Ripper and Hurst (actually had all three in his car) and preferred the Hurst - mainly due to the adjustability. I have also heard of a few people putting back the stock unit because they were dissatisfied with their aftermarket unit.

If you look in the new products area,of this forum, I posted a thread where a gentlemen, apparently from Hurst, discusses shifters in general. You would find that thread interesting. :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
After 2800 miles of mostly "spirited" driving, I have come to love my Kirban/Hardbar® combo. As a certain president of a certain three-letter organization often says: (you'll have to take my Kirban) "...out of my cold, dead hands!" IT'S THAT GOOD!

This plus a Caravaggio Sport Steering Wheel, are the only improvements I've felt were needed. So far the power & handling of this car could get me into all the trouble I could ever imagine.

HarleyB

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, what about that STUPID 1-4 shift light thing???? You can't shift into 2nd when that comes on! Overall I rate this a great sports car, but a big thumbs down on the shifter! #@$%^ junk!!!:( Bill

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
70boss302 said:
Also, what about that STUPID 1-4 shift light thing???? You can't shift into 2nd when that comes on! Overall I rate this a great sports car, but a big thumbs down on the shifter! #@$%^ junk!!!:( Bill

Cag's Elimanator...............

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
HarleyB said:
After 2800 miles of mostly "spirited" driving, I have come to love my Kirban/Hardbar® combo. As a certain president of a certain three-letter organization often says: (you'll have to take my Kirban) "...out of my cold, dead hands!" IT'S THAT GOOD!

HarleyB
What's a Hardbar? (shift knob?).

Also, if you guys haven't seen the shifter poll yet in the Pit Road forum, go check it out at

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3856

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please forgive me IMA Z06 for not knowing about CAGS. Would you please tell me more? This is all new to me as I just picked up the car Sat afternoon (and am LOVING it:D ) and realize that I have much to learn about this car. Also, Frank, can you recommend a good air induction? Do you like yours and would you buy the same again or another??? Thanks. Bill

·
Registered
507 Posts
70boss302 said:
Also, what about that STUPID 1-4 shift light thing???? You can't shift into 2nd when that comes on! :( Bill
Thats the CAGS kicking in. There is a CAGS eliminator you can get from forum vendors for less than 20. Easy install to. Or you can do what I do and not shift until 3500 or higher:D

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't need a CAGs defeat!! :D I never shift below 3500 rpms. :D

70Boss302,

I chose the Vortex intake and absolutely love it. My reason for the Vortex was $$$. JMHO it's the best bang for the buck, since I had to buy 2 of them. :roll:

Basically, they all do about the same, it's a matter how much you want to spend. Also, JMHO, Jim Halls units are absolutely beautiful and the craftsmanship is superb. If I didn't have to mod 2 Z06's, then I would have gone the Haltech route.

ZeeOhSix,

The hardbar is a shift knb like the ones used in the C5R. Hopefully HarleyB reads this post again and will post a picture for you.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:

What's a Hardbar? (shift knob?).
Yes, it's a pistol grip-style, Delrin, C5-R-looking shifter knob. Have one on my Ripper. SO SWEET! Feels great in the hand, screws down far on the shaft (none of that set-screw crap), can be shifted with all the power of your 4 fingers ripping it back (and the heel of your hand slamming it forward), etc. It's a great addition atop an aftermarket shifter!

-Kirk

·
Registered
906 Posts
here's a pic of the Hardbar® on a SHORTER shifter (this would look the same on a Ripper, Kirban, Hurst, or even the shortened stock (POS) shifter!

HarleyB

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The Hardbar® looks like the ticket for me :D. Where at and how much! :D.

HarlyB -- I'm torn between the Ripper and Kirban, but for some reason the Kirban sounds better (Ripper guys, don't 'rip' me :D). Maybe sometime I could check yours out (I'm in the Seattle area).

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This site is great! I drive my car and questions arise and to this site I go for answers and I GET THEM! How awesome that we willingly help newbees like me. Thanks Frank and Zeeohsix and others for good advice and answers. :D Bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts