Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With exactly 1 week till the SilverBullet gets here
, I'm getting my $hit together... but I am stuck on the shifter. I like the stock (I got 2 hours seat time in a dealer loaner... alone!) but I saw the Kirban at the Corvette High Perf. show this weekend. I wa s impressed with the workmanship, but haven't tried one in a Z. (or anything else) I notice that a lot of owners have the B&M Ripper. Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

HarleyB

------------------
'73 Silver Roadster -gone
'89 Red Coupe -gone
'01 Quicksilver Z06 -coming (YEEEHAAAA)
'01 SLK320 Silver 6-Speed -Wife's vert/coupe

·
Registered
56 Posts
The stock shifter is a good unet,If your going to just drive hard and speed shift.B&M On the other hand for power shifting thay are a big help. Kirben 25% shorter shift. B&M Riper 30% shorter shift,High spring pressur is a bit of a pain to move over to 1st gear,But it does realy help 2nd to 3rd for all out full power shifts.Same for the kirban. If the Hurst with thy claim will have 30% shorter shifts and an ajustable spring tencion it might be worth wate. Ric My ripper works very well but at times the extra efort to pull over for 1st is a hassal.
Hope this helps. Ric
------------------
2001ZO6 Black Mod Red Best ET 12.003 114.45

[This message has been edited by Power Shifter (edited 02-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I went with Kirban over B&M for only one reason, the Kirban factory is 20 minutes from my home and if there is ever a problem I could get it taken care of quickly, I am very happy with my choice.

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
107 Posts
HarleyB
I went with the B&M but have not tried the Kirban. I like the short throws and the "possitive" feel of the shifter... I don't mind the extra tension (I've got enough a$$ weight that I don't notice it that much!).

I was always nervous with the stock shifter on the 2-3 shift (hung a few times) and the downshifts from 5-4-3. (Wonder what gear I'm in now???

I like your color choice AND the name!

------------------
If you have to drive, do it in a C5.
Delivered 1/19/01 - Z06 Quicksilver/Black
Nickname - "Silver Bullet"
Installed - custom license plate, exhaust plate, B&M Ripper, Flameball, CAGS

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had the B&M. A lot more effort to shift. The wife didn't like it. It's gone.

------------------

2001 Torch Red Z06

·
Registered
292 Posts
Regarding the new Hurst shifter, I have checked the mrgasket.com/hurst site but can't seem to find any info. on this new shifter for the C5. Anyone have a site that has this info.?

Bob

------------------
2001 Torch Red/Mod TR Z06

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1520566&a=11496079
Zaino,CAGS defeat,Lloyds Z06 front/cargo mats,CAU decals,Z06 exhaust plate,Valentine 1/remote,BP Al Gas Pedal,power antenna,Dynamat Super interior,K&N air filter,Z06 TR Vette Rest,A&A frame savers.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Mr. B:

I haven't any experience with either one, but am anxious to see the Hurst shifter before I decide on one.

Zippy

------------------

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not a bunch of help, but I have the Ripper and have a Hurst ordered. The card I got from Summit says it is shipping on the 20th. I will install and report differences as soon as it gets here. While I am happy with the crispness of the Ripper, it is a little stiff and sometimes it is a chore to get it in gear. So, I thought I would try the Hurst. If Ripper was all that was available, I would keep it for sure, overall it is just that much better than stock.

Tom
Brea

------------------
Tom E.--Brea, Ca--

2001 MY Z06 Halltech Tric & Magic / Ripper Best ET 12.42 @ 115.97 2.1 60'

·
Registered
206 Posts
I read the posts for about 6 months before I decided to go with a new shifter--the Ripper.I did want to wait for the Hurst but I called them directly and the tech guy really couldn't tell me much about it, which I thought was strange. So I decided to go with the ripper and haven't been disappointed. From the posts I knew there would be more noise and effort---but because of the positive shifts and decreased throw it makes the Z feel like a different car. It definitely feels more sporty which goes along with the entire concept of the car. Also there is not so much money invested in this mod that it would make you feel bad if you hated it or wanted to change to another brand. There are great how to pictures on the forums to show you exactly what to do. So all in all I would highly recommend the ripper. It really doesn't matter what hurst is going to do because it cannot be all that different. And to date there is nothing about it on their web site.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts