Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out in the Z today just getting a feel for her. Anyways when i shifted from 1-2 2-3 at 6500 it felt fast as it should. But when i did the same only shifting at 6000 it seemed faster and easier to shift. Is it just me, my car, or neither and im just crazy?

Thanks,

Mike /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Peak HP is actually around 6K RPMs, and the torque fall off is worse at 6500 than 6000 RPMs, so thats why it probably felt 'stronger' -- because it was /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. No engine (that I have seen) ever developes peak HP at redline.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have FUBU's and my dyno sheets sitting in front of me.

Peak HP was between 5500 and 5800 RPMs. Peak TQ was between 4500 and 4800 RPMs.

It's not you, there's no need to run it all the way to redline, although I have!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

·
Registered
837 Posts
Actually, there is a reason to run it to redline when you're seeking max acceleration. Shifting the M12 tranny at 6500 will put you at 4500 in the next gear, right at the sweet spot for torque. To prove the point to myself, a have made a couple passes at the drag strip short-shifting at 6000 to 2d, 3d and 4th. Cost me .20-.25 seconds in ET. Not huge but nothing you'd like to give away.

Ranger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts