Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I started having some problems shifting my 02 Z with 13k miles... It was hot and I had been running a lot of very short trips (6 blocks and park, ect). I began to have problems putting it in any gear. It wanted to pop out of first and reverse, and even third a few times. Sitting at a stop light it would take a couple of tries to get it into first, ect. It freaked me out and when I got it home and I checked my clutch fluid level which looked ok. I pulled the transmission fill level plug to check the fluid and had some fluid come out so that looked ok. Anyone have any ideas of what else might be going on?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
How long since you changed the tranny fluid? If it still has the original fluids I would recommend a change to Amsoil or equiv.

Also, while you are at it, use a small turkey baster and replace the brake fluids in the brake and clutch reservoirs. Be careful to not spill any ...

It could be either of these things, and they are the easiest to correct. Otherwise you either have a clutch that is not fully disengaging (how far off the floor can you get before the car starts to move) - or less likely, something going on with the tranny or shifter.

Good Luck!

Les

injuner said:
Today I started having some problems shifting my 02 Z with 13k miles... It was hot and I had been running a lot of very short trips (6 blocks and park, ect). I began to have problems putting it in any gear. It wanted to pop out of first and reverse, and even third a few times. Sitting at a stop light it would take a couple of tries to get it into first, ect. It freaked me out and when I got it home and I checked my clutch fluid level which looked ok. I pulled the transmission fill level plug to check the fluid and had some fluid come out so that looked ok. Anyone have any ideas of what else might be going on?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE

Well The car sat in the garage for a few hours and I cranked it up and drove it for about 10 minutes and everything was fine... interesting eh? :screwy:

Could it be that my clutch fluid had gotten very hot from a couple of hours of 6 block trips? I probably cranked my car 30 times in 2 hours with all of the short trips. anyone? anyone? bueller? :crazy:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The problem could be heat related - and my recommendations above remain unchanged.

Les

injuner said:
UPDATE

Well The car sat in the garage for a few hours and I cranked it up and drove it for about 10 minutes and everything was fine... interesting eh? :screwy:

Could it be that my clutch fluid had gotten very hot from a couple of hours of 6 block trips? I probably cranked my car 30 times in 2 hours with all of the short trips. anyone? anyone? bueller? :crazy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts