Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just talked to my dealer and he said my Z was in Chicago on Sunday, so it may arrive by the end of the week, or right after Labor Day for sure :D

Anyway, I was telling him all the Dos and Donts that I want done and he told me that if I want to take it home and take the shipping protection film off it and wash it myself I could. I have seem pics by a few board members who looked like they drove it home with the film on it, and then I guess took it off themselves.

Question is -- is this a good idea, and if so, how hard is the film to remove and cleanup? Depending on how dirty it arrives at the dealer might be the big factor in deciding which way to go. I understand that the shop must PDI the car, and I'm thinking if its really dirty I wouldn't want them working over it in fear that any rubbing would scratch the paint.

What do you guys think is the best way to do this?

S

·
0 Posts
I didn't let my dealer clean up the car. I peeled about 99% of it off, and the rest came off with polishing compound because I didn't know how to remove it.

No scratches, so I'm happy

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
speedy-gonzalez said:
I didn't let my dealer clean up the car. I peeled about 99% of it off, and the rest came off with polishing compound because I didn't know how to remove it.

No scratches, so I'm happy
As Speedy said, most peeled right off, around moldings i used an Exacto Knife very carefully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exacto knife :eek: :eek: :eek: Is this stuff stuck down that much ?

If there is some residue left behind, WD-40 works excellent for removing adhesives, and will not harm any paint, plastic or rubber. Then some good wax and she should be good to go :D.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The film is a clingy, thick Saran Wrap type product. It comes off very easy.

There is also some glue that is around the window trim. It will come off with soap, polish or WD40.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The dealer removed the plastic, but that was it. I followed Carl's (hcvone) advice and used SMALL amounts of 3M adhesive remover to get the adhesive off. The only thing I changed form his advice was that I used a soft cloth the same color as the Z (black) so as to not discolor if anything went wrong.

I sprayed a SMALL amount of the 3M on the cloth and GENTLY applied it to the area. No rubbing needed or reccommended. If you have a difficult spot, don't rub!!!!! Apply more 3M to the rag, pass it over the spot and let it sit for a longer period. Should do the trick, did for the 'Dogs.

Remember, take you time and be patient. Speed kills, at least in adhesive removal :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts