Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a z06. I have found one online and it is close by. It is a 2001 red in color. I've reviewed the car fax and it is clean and looks good. I noted the car has had 4 owners in since new. Currently it has 19,000 miles on it.

I've heard of a handful of stories of massive oil consumption. Is there anything I should look for specifically when checking the car over. I'm a claims adjuster for Volvo and LandRover so I'm very familair with cars in general. I grew up around the c4 Body style. My father has an 89 Roaster and a '93 coupe. I currently own 3 mustangs and I'm finally in a spot where I can afford to step it up a few notches. Looks like a great board, with any luck I'll be a regular poster in short time. Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
136 Posts
wellcome, sorry i dont know anything about the 01 oil problem, i have an 02, but those seam like pretty low miles for 4 owners. I would deff look into that alittle more if possible, 4 owners is not normal for a car so new.

Good luck, Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So the soot is the only really good indicator?

I was wondering about the four owners thing too.

http://www.eautostorez.com/GwinnettChevy/index.html

That is a link to the site. They only have one used 2001 Z.

If anyone wouldn't mind taking a look go for it. You can also see the car fax right on the web. It's part of the site.

BTW< you'll need to clink the used vehicles tab and look at all inventory. It is only a few from the top. Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
hummm looks like it was sold once a year lol, odd Other then the 4 owners the car looks great, good color too

·
Registered
996 Posts
Welcome to the board!

I can't help you about the 4-owner thingy, but as far as oil burning: The description says there is a warranty on it (probably an extended one?).

So you could buy it, and if you find the oil burning excessive you could always take it in under warranty for re-ringing (or whatever must be done for this problem).

Just a thought!

Geoff

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
There are two issues with oil burning on C5 engines. PCV system (AKA "Valley Seal") and rings. You can check for the PCV issue by removing the intake bridge and flipping the throttle plate up. If the motor is sucking oil through leaking PCV plumbing, there'll be noticable amounts of oil on the backside of the throttle plate, since this is where the PCV vents back to the intake.

Unless they're really bad, Rings won't show any obvious signs of oil consumption. The car won't blow smoke at startup (blowing smoke at startup is a sign of "settling", oil leaking down in to the cylinders from the rocker galley, usually due to bad valve stem seals), though it might "push" oil at high RPM. The problem in 01s is with the oil control ring not wiping the cylinder wall effectively enough, leaving too much oil on the cylinder walls on the piston down stroke. But it's load/RPM dependent. At start up is when you have the *least* amount of oil in this area and are least likely to see evidence of a problem.

In fact, you're very unlikely to see any outward effect from the Ring problem, except over time, at the dipstick. The amount of oil that's burned per engine rotation, for typical oil consumption rates of about 1 quart/K-mile, is too little an amount to make an observable difference at the tail pipe (Let's say you average 28MPG for the 1000 miles it takes you to burn one quart of oil. 1000/28 says you burn 36 gallons of gasoline in the time it takes you to burn one quart of oil. 4 quarts to the gallon, 36 gallons is 144 quarts, so the ratio of oil/fuel is 144:1. The oil comprises 0.7% of the mix).

And "sooty" exhaust tips don't necessarily mean much either. This is more an indication of the tune (rich/lean) than anything else. For oil consumption to contribute significantly to soot at the back of the car, it'd have to be occuring at a pretty high rate.

There isn't a lot you can do. Be sure the car passes emissions before you buy it. Check behind the throttle plate for oil from the Valley seal. Monitor the consumption after you've bought it.

And while some purists would argue that 1 quart/K-mile is too high, I would argue that it's more an annoyance than a problem. If you find it's using this much and you can get it re-ringed for free, go ahead and do it, otherwise, just put a quart in every once in a while and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd pass it up too. $34K for an '01 is not a good price...you can find them for $29-30K without much effort.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Nothing to add to the above ^^^^ comments.
Just wanted to welcome you to :z:
Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, after much agony from the dealer I bought it. I paid $29,000 for it and got more than I expected for my trade. I feel it was a fair deal. I also got all the service records prior to purchase. I even found the car was in an accident when it was almost new. That wasn't even on carfax. I work for FORD so I have access to some cool stuff the public doesn't.

Anyway, Thanks for the welcome. The car is cerified with a limited warr through GM and I will buy an extension through my work or the dealer. So I feel protected. Thanks for the info you were able to provide. Luckily, I'm in the car business and I can see them putting the screws to me. I did have to yell a bit tonight but the responded and helped me through.

I'll do my best to be a contributor on here once I get my own car down. First thing I need to do is disconnet the CAGS.

My God that is annoying!

Thanks again!
Tim
:usa:

·
Registered
136 Posts
CONGRADS....take care of it and it will take care of you

:z: :zboobie:

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Congratulations on the Z :jammin:
Appears you got the deal that you wanted.
Don't look back.
Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Keep us updated on your ride.
Maybe you can help us out with some "information" some time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
How can an accident not be listed on a Carfax?
I thought that was what Carfax was for.
If you don't mind, how was it that you were able to find this info out where the general public cannot?

That's not a good sign for the Carfax service. You may want to let them know that they are not living up to their advertising claims.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
DennyM said:
Congratulations on the Z :jammin:
Appears you got the deal that you wanted.
Don't look back.
Enjoy the ride!
Well said :jammin:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
clev357 said:

First thing I need to do is disconnet the CAGS.

My God that is annoying!

Thanks again!
Tim
:usa:

If you don't drive it like an "Old Lady" - it never comes on!

Congratulations - sounds like you got a good deal - enjoy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stumbo said:
How can an accident not be listed on a Carfax?
I thought that was what Carfax was for.
If you don't mind, how was it that you were able to find this info out where the general public cannot?

That's not a good sign for the Carfax service. You may want to let them know that they are not living up to their advertising claims.

Someone might have a good bodyman on the side so it would not show up as being recked. i have a friend i grew up with through school and is my wifes cousin, he's a great bodyman and was a painter for a gmc dealer. He just got done painting my towncar's front bumper cover were I scratched it on a versa lock wall. Next morning after getting it back, I washed it and it looked like it just rolled out of the showroom. Got in it to put it back in the garage next to the vette, forgot the drivers rear door was open and creased the door with the corner of the garage.He got it back within 12 hours of turning back over to me :bang: I am not trying to hide that it was fixed and you cannot tell it was ,but he did it in his garage so it would not go through carfax.

Sorry to hijack the post a little but congratulations on the vette. I purchased my Torch red 01 last may,and put 1000 miles on it since the oil change and she is still full.Never had the rering done she only has 7000 on the clock and it was originally purchased in sept 2000. Only service that was done to the car was the column locked back in 03 ,but now has a bypass on it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Clev357: " I even found the car was in an accident when it was almost new. That wasn't even on carfax. I work for FORD so I have access to some cool stuff the public doesn't."

My previous posts really weren't refering to minor scratches and dents.
fixed by someone doing a sidejob. I'm sure that happens all the time. Clev357 stated it was an "accident" not recorded by Carfax which he found out about due to resources not available to the public.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts