Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much frustrated to the breaking point.. I picked up a breathless short shift kit recently, and tried to get the pressure pin out.. Didn't that little f'er deteriorate in my vice clamp!! I am not sure what to do at this point, as I can't get a grip on the clip anymore.. :puke:

I just reinserted the shift indicator and I guess I'm stock until I get some ideas.. :mah:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Do a search on Demon pin or key. You will get lots of ideas. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The vise-grip method of removal is the most common, but IMO, the most problematic. I prefer the two screwdriver method myself. Two large flat screwdrivers, positioned on either narrow side of the demon key, are used to wedge the sucker out. Just squeeze both 'drivers, rocking the pin out. It's a good idea to protect the leather knob if you want to preserve it, in case you slip. If you have already ruined the pin to the extent that there's no side to find purchase, it'll probably have to be drilled. Good luck. BTW, I have the BPP, and it's great.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Those can be a pain in the you know where. I have seen where someone had to drill a small hole in the pin and put a screw in it, put the vice grips on the screw and pulled it that way. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Vice grips do not work on this. The flat blade screwdriver is the only way. The pin is straight and it will not rock back and forth in the slot as you will do with the vice grips. The pin has to come straight up to get it out. Take a deeeeep breath, have a shot of Glenlevit and go back to it.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well your first mistake was going with a Breathless Product. I learned the hard way what kind of company they really are. I tried to order a few products from them and was mistreated on the phone to the point that I hung up. I went with the Hurst Short throw and let me tell you it was a great decision. People who have never driven a Corvette compliment how firm and short the throw is. It's a terrific product in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Hey Armond, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but plenty of people have the Breathless shifter and have no problems.

But the ploblem is with the FACTORY demon pin and shifter, you tool.:roll: NOT the Breathless shifter.

-Tony

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Agree, I have the Breathless and it's flawless. No problem with any of my phone orders, nice folks to deal with. Maybe someone was not having a good day.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
holedgr said:
Hey Armond, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but plenty of people have the Breathless shifter and have no problems.

But the problem is with the FACTORY demon pin and shifter, you tool.:roll: NOT the Breathless shifter.

-Tony
:yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:
I agree!

Mike

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
LuciferZ06 said:
Well your first mistake was going with a Breathless Product. I learned the hard way what kind of company they really are. I tried to order a few products from them and was mistreated on the phone to the point that I hung up. I went with the Hurst Short throw and let me tell you it was a great decision. People who have never driven a Corvette compliment how firm and short the throw is. It's a terrific product in my opinion.
I actually picked it up through a forum vendor.. decent price, great reviews and sounds like a great product if installed correctly.. Unfortunately, I'm not off to a good start but that's probably my fault because I got all excited and pulverized the pin securing the stock shift knob..

Anyway, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only overzealous DIY who mashed that damn pin.. I tried the two flathead screwdriver technique and wasn't getting anywhere, and the vice grip method simply made sense.. Oh well, I do have my dremel tool on call, but I guess my next try is the screw technique..

As always, thanks a lot for the replies.. my sanity is restored (at least until I screw something else up!!ha) :z:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
If it's any consolation.......that damn two-screwdriver thing didn't work for me. I did the vise-grip method......didn't work.....I drilled that demon out!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts