Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Please pick one of the poll options below.

• Who has or wants a B&M Ripper?

Votes: 82 46.6%
  • Who has or wants a Kirban?

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Who wants a Hurst (if it every comes out)

Votes: 44 25.0%
  • Who had a Ripper and swapped to a Kirban?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who had a Kirban and swapped to a Ripper?

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Who had a Kirban or Ripper and went back stock?

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Who is still stock and will stay that way?

Votes: 22 12.5%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With all the various talk about aftermarket short shifters, here is a poll to try and get a handle on what's hot, and what's not. Please pick one of the poll options above.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, this poll thing is kind of cool. Hopefully, this will help people get an idea what's being used by most of the owners, and what people plan on buying. Hope everyone participates :D.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Thanks JC; this site gets better every time I log on! :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
0 Posts
No matter what you choose, throw that stock crap shifter in the fricken trash!!

Ripper here!! :D

What ever happened to GM putting Hurst in, like they did in the muscle car days?? :confused:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You forgot at least one other option:

Who wants a Hurst, but will settle for the Ripper if they can't get the Kirban at the right price and the Hurst never is produced. :lol:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I had the "speed shifter" by Jake Delaney of Corvette Concepts on my '01 and really liked it! Will do the same with the '02.

Zippy :) :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Geez.. Then there's me who tried the Kirban and pulled it right out, then tried the CC Speed Shifter and yanked that, then installed the Ripper -- and really enjoy it, but wonder if the Hurst will be "better," since it was so good in my Mustang... :rolleyes:

Oh well -- at least I'm REALLY good at installing shifters now! I can do one in 20 minutes! :D

The Ripper is staying, assuming that the Hurst never makes it to market. :)

-Kirk

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it true that the C5-R racing Vette uses the Kirban? That's what I heard -- don't know if it's true or not.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had the ripper, took it out after 3 days. Went back to stock and had the shifter shortened and I think it is great!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Mako said:
Had the ripper, took it out after 3 days. Went back to stock and had the shifter shortened and I think it is great!
Mako... just curious about what you disliked about the Ripper? :(

Also... what makes a shortened stock shifter more suitable for you? :)

BTW remember I am just curious... I am glad you found an improved shifter that works for you.

:cheers:

·
Registered
362 Posts
AgentZ06 said:

Mako... just curious about what you disliked about the Ripper? :(

Also... what makes a shortened stock shifter more suitable for you? :)

BTW remember I am just curious... I am glad you found an improved shifter that works for you.

:cheers:
<< Same as Mako--took the

Ripper out--ok for me but wife coud not shift it on a road coarse--just to hard to leverage the handle for her--lubed it-no springs to remove. But if Hurst ever goes ito production,will give it a try.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm not Mako, but I had a Corvette Concepts Speed Shifter (essentially a cut-down stock shifter) in my car for a couple days -- so I know what they're like.

I imagine that Mako didn't like the stiffness of the Ripper. The cut-down stock shifter has all the ease of the stock shifter's shifting ability, but without such a long stick. The problems that I found with this were:

1) The throws (front-to-back-to-front) were still too long and sloppy (that's not resolved with a cut-down shifter). Still feels like you're rowing a boat.

2) Since the stock shifter gets wider at the base, the leather boot opening at the top (that slips down over the stick) doesn't want to go down over the fat part (base) of the shifter, leaving you to squash it down with most shift knobs. Also, I imagine that any shift knob that is meant to thread down low on the stick will only go half way before hitting the wide base of the stock shifter.

This was my experience. Hope it helps!

-Kirk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought my wife would be less likely to drive the car with the Ripper, but to my amusement she came back after her first drive and said she liked the Ripper a lot better!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I got the ripper with a flameball. I like the hell outa it! :lol:

·
Registered
568 Posts
What's best for serious road racing?

In the good ole days, heavy clutch action generally kept the chicks from wanting to drive your 'vette.

With modern clutch engineering, we now have to rely on heavy shifter springs..

I'm wondering what to do for a shifter in my Z.

I primarily road race, not drag race. Good heel'n toe downshift performance under heavy braking is generally a lot more important to me than the upshift performance. A good day at the track may mean 1000 to 1400 shifts.

The heavy, non-adjustable spring in the Ripper may be a bit much for that application.

What do you guys prefer for road racing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: What's best for serious road racing?

BrianK said:

What do you guys prefer for road racing?

Thanks!
Brian,

Whereas I don't road race (in sanctioned events, that is ;)), I like the way the Ripper slots so positively into gear -- and the RIGHT gear at that. Once you get used to the Ripper, there's no having to guess which gear you're in, which I'd think would be a big plus in road racing.

Also, the Ripper's so solid that you can use it to "hold on" when making quick right-handers! :D

The Ripper IS pretty stiff -- but all of it's [other] pluses might outweigh the stiffness issue.

-Kirk

·
Registered
906 Posts
I Love This Combo... after 2800 miles, IT ONLY GETS BETTER!

HarleyB:z:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts