Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to order me a GOOD short throw shifter but one of the main things I want to factor in is which aftermarket shifter has the shortest handle, or should I say sits the lowest in the car. Someone please guide me in the right direction because I am ready to purchase one ASAP. Thanks! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I think the Hurst and the B&M are about the same length.
(approx. 1.5" shorter than stock.) Don't know about the Kirban or Breathless, but I'd bet they are about the same.
If you want any of them shorter, you can cut them down
to whatever size you want, and just get a 9/16" course
thread die and cut the threads a little farther down the shaft
for your shift knob. HTH, Jim :z:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I'm not sure if it sits the lowest - maybe 1.5-2.0 inches lower than stock. But, while you're looking I recommend you look at the BPP shifter. I think it's worth at least looking at. I'm 100% satisfied with mine.

Hope it helps,
Alex

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I got a Hurst and I am 100% happy with it. I don't think the Ripper is much different....eeny meeny miney....you get the idea. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
I bought a used stock shifter and turned the threads down on the shaft another 1". I was concerned about vibration and noise problems after reading other threads about aftermarket shifters. I estimate about a 35-40 % shorter throw with the modified stock shifter.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Hurst, noisy but good :z:

·
Registered
21 Posts
EFI-1 said:
I got a Hurst and I am 100% happy with it. I don't think the Ripper is much different....eeny meeny miney....you get the idea. ;)
Same here and I love mine. Great mod!
Dave

·
Registered
744 Posts
I recently had to remove my Hurst, which by the way I loved, due to a neck injury that resulted in some right arm muscle complications. Went back to the stock shifter shortened about an inch, and it's OK. The length of throw to me is secondary to the preciseness that you get with the Hurst. If you look at the two units side by side, the real difference in throw is determined by the pivot points which are much more aggressive on the Hurst. What I'm getting at here is, you will probably never get as short a throw with the stock shifter no matter how much you chop off. By the way, noise was never an issue with my Hurst, and I installed it with the softest springs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I love my Hurst, and it's not noisy at all, a little piece dynomatt and a Hurst shifter knob was the answer for quiet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
just installed my breathless shifter and wish i did it the day i bought the car.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Most who changed will like what they have. I think more have the Hurst than any other.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I have had a Ripper, a Hurst, and now a Kirban( that I shortened the handle approx 1 in.and I thinkis the best of the three IMO). And I put almost 10K miles on each shifter.
I also have my stock shifter that I have shortened
3-3 1/2 inches, and if you would like it, you can have it for the shipping charge to send it to you. Let me know. :z:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts