Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a small oil leak (I think). I'm not sure where exactly it's coming from but my tuner told me it was probably my main seal. My car is under warranty but I hate to have anybody have access to my car when I'm not around it, especially dealerships (In fear they may hotrod it while I'm away). My oil level is fine and there are no oil drops what-so-ever on my garage floor so it doesn't appear to be a serious leak. My clutch doesn’t slip at all either. Should I even worry about it.....what do you guys think?

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
sure that's oil and not diff fluid?

Have you put something under the vette to catch the fluid (like a flattened out box) just to make sure of the location/fluid?

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
What kind of headers do you have? I wonder if I could use some with the I/C magnuson SC? Would it make much differance or do the stock ones flow well enough? Sorry to ask these questions on your thread. I would have the dealer fix it as it probably won't get any better just worse.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blkZ06 said:
sure that's oil and not diff fluid?

Have you put something under the vette to catch the fluid (like a flattened out box) just to make sure of the location/fluid?
I haven't done that but there's no drops of oil or diff fluid on my garage floor at all.....I'm pretty sure it's comming from the rear of the engine block somewhere..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sanford said:
What kind of headers do you have? I wonder if I could use some with the I/C magnuson SC? Would it make much differance or do the stock ones flow well enough?
There dynatech supermaxx....I gained around 30 HP because of them...You could definately use them for the I/C magnuson SC and you would probably get some pretty good gains. I did.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If it's an oil leak, it sure looks like it's in the area of the rear main seal. These things for sure don't get better.

I've owned 4 other high-po cars (Buick Gran Sport, Boss 302, and three other Vette's) ... if you drive like they were built to be driven, they sometimes leak a little at the rear main seal.

Fix it under warranty ... :-?

·
21,354 Posts
It looks like the rear seal. Fortunately, not a major problem to fix on these cars. I would also check the oil filter gasket to make sure it's not the problem.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
It could be one of 4:

1. Oil filter gasket/seating
2. Oil Pan seal
3. Rear Engine Cover positioning and seal
4. Rear main seal

Change the oil filter now and see if it stops, make sure you coat the new oil filter gasket with a thin coat of oil before you install it.

If it still leaks then the pan will have to be dropped and the rear seal changed, tolerences checked and oil pan reinstalled. It may be the rear seal but the oil pan sealing and rear engine cover positioning in this area are critical; ie... As the oil pan is part of the structure of the bottom of the block there are exact planar mating surfaces and tolerences that must be measured and maintained starting with the Rear Engine Cover mating tolerence.

Even though the front and rear engine covers are self locating they must mate to the oil pan mating surface within a tolerence to maintain a planar surface. In addition, a liquid sealer must be used during reinstallation where the engine covers and block meet. You should use a 3/8" drop of sealant at the these 4 corners.

Here are the tolerences:

Front & Rear Cover Alignment 0.0 - 0.5 mm / 0.0 - 0.02 in.
(at Oil Pan Surface)

Oil Pan to Rear Engine Block 0.0 -0.25 mm / 0.0 - 0.01 in.
(at Bellhousing Mounting Surface)

So as you can see, this might be as simple as changing a filter but if it still leaks it should go back the the Dealer for inspection and Warranty registration. It is definetly important to take it to the Dealer even if he does nothing...the reason being if the repair is done outside the warranty program...and then gets worse or the engine seizes later you won't be covered. This may in fact be an easy but expensive repair.
Use the Dealer and Warranty.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I have never seen a small block Chevy that did not eventually get wet back there. They usually don't get bad enough to drip, but they stay dirty. :eek::

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot guys.....I guess I'll take it to the dealer and have them check it out....I'm just hoping that the headers don't void any type of warranty. I did some research before I installed them and every dealership said that with headers and warranty they take it case by case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts