Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Z06. Soon I will be installing TPIS headers, an MTI X1 cam, and an x-pipe. Then, I'd add nitrous - and keep it right around a 100-shot.

I've contemplated going with aftermarket heads, but I've been told the LS6 heads are good and I may not need to spend that extra couple thousand on new heads.

I'd like to put down in the area of 500-550rwhp on a 100-shot of nitrous. I don't plan to mod the car much more beyond what I've already noted - so it's not like I'm aiming to make it into an 8-second trailered drag car or something.

My car dynoed completely stock at 365rwhp/350rwtq.

So, do I necessarily need to upgrade the heads?

If I did, what kind of HP or TQ gains could I expect, say, with some stage 1 or stage 2 heads (like from MTI)?

I'm just wondering if spending that extra $$$ for the heads will be worth it from a cost/benefit perspective, given my goals (which, I think, are relatively tame).

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
109 Posts
The only thing I would upgrade to from stock LS6 heads are AFR's....

I would get the 205's if you plan on keep it the way it is for a while or 225's if you plan on going with a bigger motor or something in the future...

Most places will charge you a good penny if you want to keep your LS6 heads, they use them for a core for other heads, usually they are sent back to the company and you get your new heads...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Dr. Z06,

I dont think you HAVE to change your heads. If I were you, I would probably change my pistons (forged), or atleast my rings (since that is what takes a beating from the NOS). If you did get new heads, I agree with BIGBOS on getting the AFRs. In that case you would have to change your pistons/rings anyway. You could flycut them, but no one recommends that.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I agree - AFR heads seem to be the *only* heads to go with, if you're going with heads.

However, I guess what I'm really interested in knowing is something a bit different, and that is what I could expect to see gains wise from keeping my LS6 heads as opposed to going with aftermarket heads, like AFRs.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

John

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the X1 and love it, I'm not sure its ideal for racing though. I got the 112 LSA, although this cam is not that big, I was able to keep my idle very low, so the cam sounds much bigger than it really is. I gained power all over the curve and tons of torque down low, its tough to launch at the track, but incredibly fun on the street.
Anyway, with headers and a vararam, I put down 417 Hp and 404 torque.
I'm sure with a 100 shot I'd run 10's.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Dr. Z06 said:
Okay, I agree - AFR heads seem to be the *only* heads to go with, if you're going with heads.

However, I guess what I'm really interested in knowing is something a bit different, and that is what I could expect to see gains wise from keeping my LS6 heads as opposed to going with aftermarket heads, like AFRs.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

John
30 to 40 RWHP. The AFR's produce better Torque numbers than ported LS6 heads :cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, thanks, and especially to Z06-Dave for posting up the dyno graph. :)

So, 30 to 40hp with my stock LS6 heads and the other usual bolt ons. Now, what are the expected gains with, say, upgrading to AFR heads?

This is what I'm really getting at - are the gains in HP/TQ worth the money that I'll need to invest in the aftermarket heads, given what I plan to do with the car?

Keep the replies coming, please. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
i do not have AFR heads but my H/C and Kook headers resulted in approximately a 100rwhp gain....when it was cam only the rwhp was about 403...so heads added about 50rwhp.

there are all kinds of H/C choices but my experience is if one thinks about what final goal is and then match components to complement one another while reaching that goal then usually a better running and dependable car.....cars that are put together one mod at a time i.e. no thought to match-up commonly don't accomplish goal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the AFR 205 heads (11.0 comp) with FAST 90 TB and LG long headers, but no cam change. The car goes really nice with that combo and I´m not sure I will feel the need for a cam change. A bonus is that I got a much better gas/ mileage ratio with the new heads. I can cruise at 90 (140 km/h) and the car only needs 0,95 liters/10 km. I don't know how to compute this to gallons but it´s very low! The big deal is that the car goes like a real bullet and will break lose if the tarmac is a little bumpy even in 5:th gear.
Tomas

·
Registered
59 Posts
C5 CU said:
i do not have AFR heads but my H/C and Kook headers resulted in approximately a 100rwhp gain....when it was cam only the rwhp was about 403...so heads added about 50rwhp.

there are all kinds of H/C choices but my experience is if one thinks about what final goal is and then match components to complement one another while reaching that goal then usually a better running and dependable car.....cars that are put together one mod at a time i.e. no thought to match-up commonly don't accomplish goal.
That's promising. I have Kooks on order but established basically a cam only dyno of 410.5/386.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just happened to ask Roger Vinci, of VHP, how much gain I would get by adding custom heads to my set up. He said about 40-45 rwhp. :coo:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts