Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Read Only
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
should I pay for a RECALL??? ---UPDATE---

I have an 01 z06 (bought used a month ago) and the column locked this morning. its out of warranty and the dealer told me i would have to pay for tow and work done. is this right???? its a recall!! i just ordered the bypass from houston vettes and i'm overnighting it so i can fix tomorrow. is this what i should be doing or should i fight it out with them. i hate dealers. thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
You shouldn't pay for a recall. They could get in BIG trouble for not fixing a safty recall. :screwy:

·
Read Only
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats exactly what i thought man. he was acting so "matter of fact" about it that it threw me off. should i go ahead and make them do it or do a permanent fix with the bypass?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
What is the name of this "service department"?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Recall Does Not Fix The Problem...... Install The Clb And You Have No Issues. The Gm Recall Only Stops The Gas Flow. When The Steering Locks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You don't need to be towed. To unlock the column lock, pull clock-wise on the wheel then turn the key while still pulling. It takes a little bit of force, not enough to break anything, but holding it with one finger isn't going to work.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
i don't think they will pay for the tow.. the recall should be free..

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
insert_car said:
ok thanks for the tips guys. i'll try to unlock it when i get off work. :z:
Please let us know how you make out :z:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
insert_car said:
thats exactly what i thought man. he was acting so "matter of fact" about it that it threw me off. should i go ahead and make them do it or do a permanent fix with the bypass?

Don't do it. More and more guys have had the column lock up right after they took it in for the supposed fix, including me.

·
Read Only
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

UPDATE GUYS.

just want to say thanks for the advice. i installed the column bypass and it works great. i didn't take it in for the recall. i just did the perma-fix. :D oh and the turning the wheel hard while cranking worked great. i did that until o got the bypass in the mail.

thanks again. :z:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
i had this happen to me on vacation, my vin wasn't listed with the recall so i had to pay for towing and for the recall. a few weeks later they added my vin to the recall and GM reimbursed me for the towing and GM service parts and labor.

If your Vin is listed in the recall should be no charge

1 - 16 of 16 Posts