Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im installing my headers soon, I heard that there are two spark plugs that you have to move the motor to get to, is this true?

and if it is should I go head and replace my spark plugs while at it? its a hard 20k miles and the last 1k running really rich :blush: what brand would be the best anyways for performance that is? thanx in advance,

luis

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I would cheap insurance :z: :z:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m not sure when GM went to Iridium’s but if you have them, they’re probably OK. Much better than the platinum which loose their pucks. Since it’s easier to slide the headers in without the plugs, you can pull them and check the color (you’re looking for a medium tan) and gap. If they don’t look good, change them. Since everyone on earth has their own opinion on what’s best, I’ll leave that to you. Have fun. – C.

·
Registered
806 Posts
:mug: No, you dont need to move the motor to get to any of the plugs. #7 is a PITA but you can get to it, just takes a little determination. I would replace both plugs and wires especially now that you are installing headers, it will make the job alot easier. I just did the job a month ago, took about 3 hours total. I used MSD 8.5 SC wires and NGK TR55 plugs and they seem to work well, not that you are going to be able to tell a difference. Replace both plugs and wires of your choice and make sure you get some sleeves for your plug wires to use with your headers. Good Luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
77 Posts
i just replaced mine.. it was CAKE!! try working on a camaro and you will understand what is up... i owned a LT1 and LS1 camaro (95Z and a 01Z) and this car is INSANELY easier to work on.. camaros are a joke.. 2468 are all extremely easy, i changed the plugs and wires in 15 minutes on that side.. 1357 arent much harder... 1 is kinda hard.. (plug for sensor right there) 3-5 easy, 7 is easy if you have a ratchet with a knuckle on it and a extension.. (ratchet with knuckle is BEST tool i have ever bought). i went with MSD 8.5 super conductors (cost me 80 locally) and some NGK TR 55 platinums. the car runs SO MUCH better. its like night and day :)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
so you do need to move the motor to get to two of the plugs?

which ones do you recommend , Rick ?
Extensions, universals and and spark plug socket with a swivel is all you need.

NGK TR55's are a good choice. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
IT L GO said:
Extensions, universals and and spark plug socket with a swivel is all you need.

NGK TR55's are a good choice. :cheers:
:yeadog:

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I switch my stock plugs to the "silver tips" Beru's (I can't remember the exact part number, I think they were the S1K's) I noticed better throttle response (call me crazy) and my tuner at the time assured me this was the plug to go with after installing headers, cold intake, tune and many other bolt ons.

I was very pleased with the result!

Then three years later I am driving a wacked out Lightning, 496/562 rwhp, Kenne Bell, 16 lbs boost - I need a cold plug and what is recommended?, yeap the same damn plug. Here I am in a very different application, supercharged blah blah blah and the same Beru does the job!

When I start my mods on the '04 Z I will switch to the silver tips! I made the previous mods on a '99 Coupe for the record.

D-Day

:thumb:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I pulled my OEM plugs at 20K when I did the Vortech install. Replaced with Denso, but the orginals were *perfect*. There was no reason to replace them. I gave 'em to a friend with a 98 Coupe with 100K miles, and he's using them now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, is there really any "good" reason to change stock plugs?? One said he noticed night/day difference, anybody else? I've got about 13K miles on my 02. Spend the money or save????

·
Registered
41 Posts
My o2 had denso's stock when i checked them they looked like new (47,000 miles) gap was correct I damaged the wires getting them off so i had to replace them however they were really good wire wound type if i had not been so sure they were just like other chevys and other c5's i would have been better off to leave them alone!
Now that said I'm not sure if all Z's have denso's stock or the good wires but my 02 (early production) did.

·
Registered
74 Posts
whyw802Z06 said:
So, is there really any "good" reason to change stock plugs?? One said he noticed night/day difference, anybody else? I've got about 13K miles on my 02. Spend the money or save????

It depends on the length of drives it goes on. If it's a short tripper for the most part, it may be worth it. If you run the juice, I'd say yes. As advised by others though, if both are not the case and the gaps and colors are good, keep them in there and put a very small amount of anti-seize on the threads if you don't think you'll have a good reason to pull the plugs for another 5 or 6 years.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
whyw802Z06 said:
The stock Iridiums are good for about 15k-20k miles. I swapped mine out at 25k miles and I could tell that they needed to be changed. I installed the NGKs and I felt a noticeable difference. Plugs are inexpensive, I'll be swapping them out every year.

Alex

1 - 16 of 16 Posts