Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Will making some content members only help?

• Yes, it will force people to register

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • No, it will probably piss em off or the features will be hidden

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • You want our emails to send to the gestapo, no way!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd give you whatever info you wanted because this site is f'ing king of the hill

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just taking a vote, don't freak out, we're not starting a pay service :eek: Membership will always be free, we just want to encourage people to register and get involved in the community.

Will doing this encourage people to sign up or will it discourage them by hiding the info?

JC

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yea, since you're all looking, the registry is now sortable by color, fyrcaptain wanted it that way......

Don't say we never give ya nuttin! :D

JC

·
Registered
214 Posts
I voted no, however I think there should be a place where we can register by VIN. I don't know why exactly that's important to me other than to say I meet people daily who say they own a Z06 and fail to produce it. There should be some "special" features open to only "verified" Z owners. i have no idea what the features could be though. Now there's a valuable opinion...dunno, dunno, dunno...I should run for office!

·
Registered
0 Posts
It only takes a minute to register...

Let them see everything we have to offer on the naxigation bar, but if they aren't registered, then they don't get the benefits our members get. It also makes spys have to register!! :D No peek and steal without us knowing they are there.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I like Frank's idea, show em the nav bar but don't let them in unless they register. Maybe when they hit an item on the nav bar it takes them to a "sample page" for that feature that would show them what we are are offering and then leads them to registration...

Mark

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
JC

I voted NO.........

One of the things I love about this site, is it's not a JUST Q & A site, and we interact.

Some OTHER's, that do require registry, seem like a Boy's Club.........bad juju.

Can't post, or reply without being registered, yes.

Like what you see??.........then join, no coercion here.......... :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Aren't the forums and member reviews an exchange of give and take?

If your only lurking and using the features, your only taking, without giving (input, opinions, help, all free stuff, but giving non the less).

I think you should have to register to see some of the special features, what's the big deal, one minute of time and a little trust that the owner of the site protects your email address.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Can't post, or reply without being registered, yes.Like what you see??.......then join, no coercion here......
My thoughts also.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good thoughts............

Briank:

>Maybe when you click on a thread with new posts, it takes you >to the new post immediately (instead of the current two step >process). This could be optional. I have a fast network >connection, but I'll bet this would really help the modem folks.

It already does :) Click View New posts. Then to see the new post on the thread you wish to view, click the far right orange arrow. :D

As a note, the forums, Pit Road, Feature articles, etc will always be publicly viewable. But a post above about driving bogus membership is a huge concern. We have never inflated out user count as some others have and we don't intend to start now. Maybe MyZ06Vette will be enough to get people to register. As we continue to build this section and add more features, I think it may be one of the most hit functions of the site. I took a look last night at how many were using it and for as slow as all the Corvette sites are this time of year, traffic was BRISK.

JC

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
If you don't want to register you don't have to, but It would be nice for registered members to have some perks. :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
My Z06 Vette

JC, my BAD........I never even thought to click on this icon, I thought it was simply a header for the ITEMS below it.........

Am I the only ONE????

This site has so many in's & out's an old furt like me stays lost haf de' time..............:D

I wonder............IF you changed the wording to (somehow) let prospective members KNOW they had their own space...........if it would help........I would not have found this, unless you were talking about it............

:eek:

·
Registered
376 Posts
fcalmes said:
It only takes a minute to register...

Let them see everything we have to offer on the naxigation bar, but if they aren't registered, then they don't get the benefits our members get. It also makes spys have to register!! :D No peek and steal without us knowing they are there.
I agree!!:yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog: :cheers:

·
Registered
596 Posts
memb only

Like the idea of mem. perks,,BUT.........how many are new to the net and comp.to

me I keep getting no acc.to site password is like 2 diff ones????

maybe just me duh duh.. will figure it out ,maybe??

if help is needed ,.ask

GASH E.B. 02

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only bit that requires a second password is Member Rides due to the integration being a pain in a$$ but at some point we may make the passwords the same.

Any easy solution? Make your member rides password the same as your forum password, then you only have 1 :)

JC

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I like the idea of putting all the options available on the Nav Bar and only letting registered members into some selected areas, whatever they may be. ex: Owner FAQ could be available only to registered members.

Definitely continue to keep posting or replying to message threads open only to registered members.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would vote no as the current restriction of registration before contribution lets folks visit until they have a compelling reason to do more than lurk. By seeing content that is here more openly I think a visitor is really seeing the flavor of the community that has been bulit and will be a reason for more of them to want to become vette owners and specifically Z owners and then you have the very best member stat. Having a bunch of 12 year old, web surfing car nuts, forced to register could backfire.:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I like the perk idea for Z06 owners using the vin number along with the options on the nav bar for browsers! ;)

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm not all that keen on trying to force people to register, because most will register just to see the extra features, then probably never come back.

However...the VIN thing possibly has some merit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts