Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some screen material last week from a local auto shop, and would like to install them in the side vents and rear fascia.. I have them cut out, but even after reading all of the FYI's about the side vent screen install, I still can't figure out how they're gonna stay in place with just 3M tape on the narrow inside lip of the vent!

There's a much larger area for the rear fascia screens to adhere to, so I'm thinking the rear screen install will be easy...I'm just concerned with the side vents. I felt all around the inside of the side vents, and there's only a very narrow (1/8" or less) surface area for the tape to stick to on the inside lip of the vent.

I'm thinking if that's the only surface the screen has to adhere to, it's not gonna stick very long! Am I missing something here? Shouldn't the screens be bent inward at the edges, then have tape applied so the tape is actually sticking to more surface area on the inside "wall" of the vents, instead of just on the very narrow inside lip?? :-?

·
Registered
878 Posts
i put mine on a yr ago-you don't have to remove the ft tires-just turn wheels out to one side and you have room once your remove wheel well panels-
i used epoxy to hold screens in place
the little two sided sticky things are a joke..
mine are fine have held so far so good.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll have to use epoxy or something then.. I don't think the tape will hold for very long...

I just checked out FRC Tom's page, and I like the way his side vents look - very very close to the stock screen mesh design.

FRC Tom makes them? Anyone know how much they cost for the pair?? Tom?

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
I guess I'll have to use epoxy or something then.. I don't think the tape will hold for very long...
If you use body molding tape from 3M, it will hold. Been close to two years now and it is still rock solid. Good Luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
396 Posts
The 3m tape holds fine. I've had mine on for about 1 1/2 years, no problems.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Backlash said:
If you use body molding tape from 3M, it will hold. Been close to two years now and it is still rock solid. Good Luck. :thumb:
Ditto...3M. I use their outside red doublestick adhesive and it works fine.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
bud miller said:
i used epoxy to hold screens in place
the little two sided sticky things are a joke..
mine are fine have held so far so good.
I did remove my wheels and the inside plastic and then re-installed the plastic inner over the screen to secure it tight. I also used epoxy on the retainers as well as bent the screen top and bottom to fit snug in the opening. No problems and holds very tight even when i wash the area with a big mitt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts