• polls are stupid. go away

Votes: 16 15.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread talking of going sideways shifting into 3rd. I have not taken delivery on my Z yet so I don’t have that experience. [would never do that to a new car on a test-drive, done 3 of them] I know airtemp makes a great deal of difference in power and traction. Even on the colder days here I have gone sideways buying 2nd in my Grand Sport but never 3rd. Just how powerful is this wondrous machine out of the box, bone stock?

Dr E.

·
Registered
117 Posts
"going to third": that means while in 2nd, right?

I've broken my tires loose in 3rd around the 65-70 mph mark several times and my Z is bone stock. I'm not a good enough driver (yet) :crazy: to try anything of the sort at a higher speed.

--pdx_Z

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Yeh,

If you hit third hard (speed shift) you will brakes the tires lose real bad.

I hit second one time a spun the tires all the way through the gear.

I have done nuthin' to the car...yet.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have yet to take delivery of my car so I have no idea what the Z06 is like under these circumstances, although I recall a time when a friend of mine had a 70 Chevelle 396 350hp. Its a big block but it was not the solid lifter type and it probably ran a high 14 if I remember correctly.

Anyways one day they came into the shop after changing the sparkplugs or some other tuneup and told this story of how the car spun the tires all the way through 3rd gear. I was very doubtful as I had driven many faster cars with similar suspension and they did not have this problem. I ended up taking the car for a run and it hardly spun in first let alone third, maybe a chirp into 2nd.

The moral of this long winded boring story is, if you spin in 1st hit 6k or so and decide to shift 2nd because you used up 1st then do the same in 3rd, you never achieve the necessary speed in 1st and so on to achieve the necessary traction, also once you start spinning its tough for the car to hook up.

I find that you need to work 1st gear for minimum spin of course and if it does spin on a run don't shift until the spinning stops, just back of on the throttle a little bit to keep the engine from hitting the rev limiter. Once you reach the point of no spin shift into second and so on. If you don't reach the capable speed in each gear you will spin easier and you will run slower because eventually when you do hook up you will be going to slow for that gear.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, just my experience.

Dean

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dr. Electron,
Bone stock '02 breaks loose in 3rd everytime:
-shift from second at over 5500 rpm
-"get on it" at over 70mph and go over a slight dip in the road.
-shift down to 3rd and "get on it" as I'm dumping the clutch at any speed over about 70mph.

Do Not try this on a curve, it is easier to break loose due to lateral forces on the tires in addition to the rotational forces.:cheers:

Zeanster,
You'll love the Z, totally different than your friend's Chevelle, totally different.

Only my $.02:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh Yes what a feeling getting sideways!!!!
It does really depend on the outside Temp as to how much traction the potent Z06 will have. But just about every time I drive her. I cut it loose atleast once, usually 1st - 2nd. But when I do hit it hard and go thru 3rd she has gotten sideways going in to 3rd gear on a number of occasions. As the tires heat up it spins less. I have also punched it in 2nd while cruising and break loose the tires like its 1st gear. All I can say is I love driving this car it gives me the thrills that I miss from riding fast sportbikes on the street.

This is all done with T/C off.

When I 1st bought the car I drove around with T/C on for 2 weeks to get used to the power.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Yup. My 01 will break loose in 3rd easily.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm with mgarfias on this one, I hit fourth recently and had the rear kick out on me. I really didn't expect that to happen but it put a smile on my face.

No mods, Ripper shifter w/ MGW knob, mediocre driver.

Paul :z:

·
Registered
425 Posts
originally posted by mgarfias
I get sideways in 4th!
Sideways at 100mph! I don't think I'll try that on the street.

That would put a smile on my face and a need to change my undies.:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
425 Posts
what speed would you guess that the black Z in the beginning of the owner's video is going sideways?

·
Registered
89 Posts
For what it's worth in Denver here it's a bit harder to brake them loose in 3rd. It's very tough to do on nearly every surface.

Altitude sucks.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
While I have "spun" the tires going into 3rd, I have never gotten her sideways. This is a pretty stable car and even hard shifts into second promote wheel spin but the car still tracks in a straight line. If you are getting overly sideways, check your tire pressures and make sure they are even. The tire with the most pressure will be larger, hense turn a larger circumfirance and push the ass end in the opposite direction. Bill

·
Registered
384 Posts
Can't wait to have the feeling!

·
Registered
103 Posts
sideways

Hey........there is so much rotational torque in 1 and 2........you really wish for bigger or sticky tires. Would help with those unscheduled lane changes!:p

1 - 20 of 46 Posts