Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... have any of you run the silver state classic before, or planning on doing in in '02? I'm considering the september event and am looking for advice and such.....

-jbl

·
Registered
249 Posts
A guy at work ran his Porche last summer (140mph class). His brother drove his 2001 Z06 and his transmission overheated. I don't know which class he was running, but I could find out if you want. I know others on this forum have talked about the high temps in the transmission with hard driving.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm.. yeah, silverstateclassic.com as someone posted. I was pondering the 130target speed class.... but might go 125 to drop to the previous class... although that lowers the max speed to 140mph I believe. The 130target gives you a tech speed max of 165mph.......

I don't want to be too hard on the car over a 90mile stretch, but do want to have some fun.

-jbl

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I remember watching some video's of the Silver State race, the way they make that average speed is truly an art.

·
Registered
249 Posts
FYI.

John Schneider and his dad ran John's copy of the 1969 Dodge Charger (General Lee) in last summer's event. Ran in the 110 class with a top speed of 123mph.

Highest speed I saw for a Corvette was 191mph in the unlimited class, with an average of 182 for the 90 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jason,

Since this is your first event, the Race Director most likely will not allow you to run with a tech speed of 165 (target speed 130 mph). Also, you may want to check into the rules for what is required (cages, harnesses, etc). It may sway your decision. See http://www.silverstateclassic.com/rules-5-touring.htm#GRAND TOURING

I'll be out there for my first time this year in the May event and haven't decided which other ones I'll run. A buddy of mine won the 135 mph class in 2000. He asked if I wanted to be his nav in the most recent event but I passed on it because he's running in a faster devision now and it's faster than I rather go.

Spike

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Been there, done that.

I ran the Silver State Classic in a ZR-1 in '99 in the 150 class and avg'd 156mph on the course (SR318), a distance of 90 miles. I have highlights on video, including front and rear view passing scenes of another ZR-1 driven by a friend of mine.

Rick Doria had the fastest Corvette that race in the Unlimited class. He developed engine trouble but still managed to finish with an average speed of "197"!!!

IMHO, there is another open road event worthy of consideration.
It's called the Pony Express 100; held on an 84 mile course along SR305, between Battle Mountain and Austin, NV.

The PE100 is an annual event usually held in June. The format is essentially identical to the Silver State Classic, i.e. similar classes, entry fees, rules and safety equipment requirements. The only real difference is the location for each event.

I have entered the PE100, MY PERSONAL FAVORITE, many times over the past six years, with and without a navigator. For last June's event, I was the official radar station operator at one of the longest straights on the course. When Rick's C4 Corvette blew by my Stalker radar gun, I clocked him at 219mph!!!

The Pony Express organizers host other ORR'ing events later each Summer, usually in September, the weekend after Labor Day, and often the weekend just before the Silver State.

One of these other events is known as the Gambler's Run Twin 50, held near Elko, NV. It's a two-way race, about 50 miles back and forth on the same course. I've done this event several times too. My best run was an average speed of around 141 in an LT4 Coupe.

For more info on the Pony Express and Gambler's Run open road racing events, check out the Classic Auto Racing's website at the following link: www.openroadracing.com

All these events are absolutely thrilling in any Corvette and tons of FUN for all who enter!!!

P.S.
As per Al Cruz, I've heard the same thing about the Z06; i.e. the tranny is prone to overheat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts