Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tell ya guys...(and gals)....I am fully aware that there are MANY single digit capable cars that have attended previous fests and will attend this year's fest. I am wondering who is gonna have the b*lls to do it.
Now before I get flamed or I hear pissing and moaning about how Beech bend is crap, I'd like to address some things.....

Many times throughout the year.....individual clubs and tuners RENT Beech bend for testing and for events. A good example would be the recent GN Nats that Gnx guy posted an invite to us for. Some of those Gn's pulls the wheels up for 100 feet!!! It is all in the track prep.

These tuners have no problem with the track....what gives?

I personally plan on driving H A R D on drag day due to the rare occassion I get to have that kind of freedom and have my family there as well.

I guess what is really bothering me is that we have all these capable cars and hardly no one is really putting down any serious numbers. Have we a bunch of boys involved in a big pissing contest of whose got the most horsepower but can't much with it UNLESS it's from a roll or whatever.

If you go to the strip......bring the right equipment or don't expect to do well. I HATE hearing about how Beech Bend is a skating rink. Well......on street tires.......what do you expect?!?!?!?

My point......WE NEED SOMETHING OTHER THAN A COUPE PULLIN A 10.05, to have the record at the fest.....
ooops......I meant the Z 0 6 fest!!!!!

Anybody that wants to use my ET streets and is SERIOUS.....
I will bolt them on your car for two passes.

LETS PUT DOWN SOME SERIOUS NUMBERS THIS YEAR GUYS!!!!

:z: :z: :z:

:screwy:Tony:screwy:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
holedgr said:
If you go to the strip......bring the right equipment or don't expect to do well. I HATE hearing about how Beech Bend is a skating rink. Well......on street tires.......what do you expect?!?!?!?

I had ET streets and still thought it sucked :p I have driven some crappy prep'd tracks. The first 60 feet where not bad but right after that the car break loose and almost go straight into the limiter :mah: if I didnt back pedal quick enough

I think we are going to have to wait until next year to go back :cry:

But if you guys want to see single digit cars the track is at least going to have to be consistent.

my .02

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Kat.....you're right, but wrong. :D
Remember you and Pat only used the left lane?
And I used mostly the right..
I pulled a personal best 60' last year and managed to keep up with(sorta) Pat...:D

I will surely miss you guys if ya don't make it.:cry:

You and McRat really bring it on hard when you guys race...I LOVE it!!

I think if we all chip in for some track prep......they WILL comply.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I think I used the right lane so I could drive around the water. I don't think it mattered to Pat which lane he drove in since he was heating up the tires. I'm not making excuses because it not my style. But we did stop running the car because our ET where spinning so badly on the rim. Next year I won't make that mistake again by taking freshly mounted tires.

Heck I would have donated a bunch for some VHT :yeadog:

Edit- Like I said above it wasn't the first 60 feet... I know in the pass against you where you spanked me I went into the limiter in 2nd

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edit- Like I said above it wasn't the first 60 feet... I know in the pass against you where you spanked me I went into the limiter in 2nd[/QUOTE]

:blush: :blush: :p

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Well Tony...I think you put the pressure on to get those ET streets...I was looking at those and you pulled the I can paypal you right now card on me. Not a problem...it was going to take me a day or two to fund the money. :cheers: You're damn right I want a couple of passes on them. :lol: I'm pretty sure I can't run any faster than a low 11 on motor though...not sure if I'm gonna have the spray on the car by then...sorry. :cry:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
It one thing to have a single digit car. It's another thing to get it to perform that way at Beech Bend. :yeadog:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Hate to disagree, but Beech Bend is the pits. Just my opinion, so don't flame me.

Have you ever run your car at Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, IL? That's a good example of a nice dragstrip. :cheers:

Did you see an ambulance with certified EMS tech on site at Beech Bend at any of the Z06 Fest's? :eek:

Have you noticed the bleachers at Beech Bend? :puke:

How many National NHRA events are held at Beech Bend? Here's a clue: it's less than one.

Did you notice how long it took for a track official (I use that term very loosely) to respond to an accident on the track? Geez, grandma was slow, but she was old!

How many record speeds or ET's are in the books from Beech Bend? Another clue...look at the clue above.

Like I said, BB is the pits....just my two sense.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
holedgr said:
I tell ya guys...(and gals)....I am fully aware that there are MANY single digit capable cars that have attended previous fests and will attend this year's fest. I am wondering who is gonna have the b*lls to do it.
Now before I get flamed or I hear pissing and moaning about how Beech bend is crap, I'd like to address some things.....

Many times throughout the year.....individual clubs and tuners RENT Beech bend for testing and for events. A good example would be the recent GN Nats that Gnx guy posted an invite to us for. Some of those Gn's pulls the wheels up for 100 feet!!! It is all in the track prep.

These tuners have no problem with the track....what gives?

I personally plan on driving H A R D on drag day due to the rare occasion I get to have that kind of freedom and have my family there as well.

I guess what is really bothering me is that we have all these capable cars and hardly no one is really putting down any serious numbers. Have we a bunch of boys involved in a big pissing contest of whose got the most horsepower but can't much with it UNLESS it's from a roll or whatever.

My point......WE NEED SOMETHING OTHER THAN A COUPE PULLIN A 10.05, to have the record at the fest.....
ooops......I meant the Z 0 6 fest!!!!!

Anybody that wants to use my ET streets and is SERIOUS.....
I will bolt them on your car for two passes.

LETS PUT DOWN SOME SERIOUS NUMBERS THIS YEAR GUYS!!!!

:z: :z: :z:

If Beech Bend preps the track for us like they do for big events then times will improve. So far they never really have.
I remember John Lingenfelter had them spray the track (his lane) down with VHT and he ran a TT ZR1 deep into the nines (9.50). Prior to that he was a full second slower. :zboobie:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zippy, you got some good points. We need to resolve some of them.

What the hell good is have the track if we can't USE it??!!?

I meant the track surface , if prepped wasn't all that bad. I never claimed it was great, just to make that clear.

Just like everything else in this country.....if we keep puttin up with crap, they'll just keep delivering it. We need track SAFETY and TRACK PREP!!!!

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
holedgr said:
Zippy, you got some good points. We need to resolve some of them.

What the hell good is have the track if we can't USE it??!!?

I meant the track surface , if prepped wasn't all that bad. I never claimed it was great, just to make that clear.

Just like everything else in this country.....if we keep puttin up with crap, they'll just keep delivering it. We need track SAFETY and TRACK PREP!!!!
Easier said than done, Tony. The drags at Beech bend are arranged by the NCM and if you remember last year, they only had one starter. I spent most of the day doing the line up in starting area. If all they can supply is one starter, do you really think that they will do a great track prep?

I have raced at several tracks and I think Beech Bend is one of the hardest tracks to get traction on...especially 2nd & 3rd gears. Even a hard, strong launch out of the box will be wasted if you spin all the way through second and part of third. Believe me when I tell you that running a 400 to 450rwhp Z at BB is a lot different than running a 600+rwhp Z. Traction out of the box is only a small part of it.

That white C5 stroker with the 2 stage nitrous that ran the 10.0 was running huge drag slicks and an automatic with trans-brake. Even he couldn't put it in the 9's that day.

We'll do the best we can and have fun with whatever we can arrange. The more track prep the better but don't hold your breath.

Mike

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok..........Guess I SHOULD'VE said........Who's gonna TRY to get some good numbers this year if we arrange for some track prep?!?!?!

And Mr. Mike.....you think you be interested in helping to make such prep happen, being you hopefully are bringing a single didit car?!?!:D

-Tony

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
holedgr said:
ok..........Guess I SHOULD'VE said........Who's gonna TRY to get some good numbers this year if we arrange for some track prep?!?!?!

And Mr. Mike.....you think you be interested in helping to make such prep happen, being you hopefully are bringing a single didit car?!?!:D

-Tony
Tony, I am for better track prep, but as we learned last year, it's a little out of our hands.

As for me personally, I haven't managed to get her into single digits yet. 10.2 is my best even though I'm trapping at 140+.
Something tells me that Beach Bend is not the place I will finally push through the envelope :mah:
(doesn't mean I won't try though ;) )

Mike

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Good replies guys, and I can't argue with it. :thumb:

Proper track prep is part of the formula to run a racetrack, along with enough personnel to maintain, operate and run it.

Safe, sturdy bleachers, ambulance, EMT on site, etc. are also in the formula.

BB is not run by the NCM, it's privately owned and operated.

Zipster, still thinks it's the pits. :( :(

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I don't know how often Beach Bend gets used, but I know Route 66 gets used at least twice a week! The prep for test and tune there is very close to any NHRA event and the tech is just as close!!
I used to live four miles from the track and ran the '96 LT-4 alot. I got the Z and ran 12.6-8 out of the box. More power on stock tires 12.3 on a 1.9 60. Did I say, I suck at driving?? :p

BeechBend 2003
I ran a 12.3x the second year (my 1st) and 12.5x last year with the same car!
Hey the track was a little more slick the second year but I had to get her 1800 miles back to AZ!
I didn't play with tire pressure, launch rpm, short shifting or anything else!

A pro doesn't complain about conditions, they adapt to them!!

I thought we were there to have fun, not make numbers??
VHT used to be $55 a gallon I don't know what is is today or
how we can get it further down the track!!

I'm there to watch this year and I'll remember to go to the farside grandstands to video this year!!!

Ken

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Tony,
I agree 100% that the lack of track prep at Beech Bend last year really sucked, and would be happy to cough up some extra cash to make it better. I think you know that I'll push my car as hard as necessary to get it deep into the 11's.
I hope to have Nittos on the car for the fest, but will take you up on your generous offer and give the ET streets a couple of passes to get my times down to an "acceptable
level". This fest is going to be a great one, I am more than ready, and so is my Antivenom beast! :jammin:

Jimbo

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I've raced at many tracks and Beech Bend is on the lower end. But, Tony is correct, 100's of cars last week at the GS Nats pulled the wheels.

Take a look http://www.gsnationals.com/gs_nationals_photos_2005.htm

My Z06 was cutting 1.6's without problem.

Its called track prep and its also called keeping one side of the track for cars with street tires and one side for us guys with sticky tires. What do ya say?

The street tire guys pretty much ruin any good track prep that we would get.

SO, how about street tire guys on one side and sticky tire guys on the other?

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Mike,

Actually this year, the NCM has washed their hands of the Drags. We pay at the gate this year and its strickly a beech bend event. For $15.00 a car, I wonder if they will spray the track. I bet not.

Joe

MikesZ06 said:
Easier said than done, Tony. The drags at Beech bend are arranged by the NCM and if you remember last year, they only had one starter. I spent most of the day doing the line up in starting area. If all they can supply is one starter, do you really think that they will do a great track prep?

I have raced at several tracks and I think Beech Bend is one of the hardest tracks to get traction on...especially 2nd & 3rd gears. Even a hard, strong launch out of the box will be wasted if you spin all the way through second and part of third. Believe me when I tell you that running a 400 to 450rwhp Z at BB is a lot different than running a 600+rwhp Z. Traction out of the box is only a small part of it.

That white C5 stroker with the 2 stage nitrous that ran the 10.0 was running huge drag slicks and an automatic with trans-brake. Even he couldn't put it in the 9's that day.

We'll do the best we can and have fun with whatever we can arrange. The more track prep the better but don't hold your breath.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I think we can get some track prep if we pay extra. Maybe we should find out what Dallas will provide for us for the $15.00 per head.

Joe

MikesZ06 said:
Tony, I am for better track prep, but as we learned last year, it's a little out of our hands.

As for me personally, I haven't managed to get her into single digits yet. 10.2 is my best even though I'm trapping at 140+.
Something tells me that Beach Bend is not the place I will finally push through the envelope :mah:
(doesn't mean I won't try though ;) )

Mike

1 - 20 of 33 Posts