Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on GM's web site and one of the optional transmissions for the C6 coupe and convertible was this:

[/IMG]

Six–Speed Paddle Shift with Automatic Modes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new available Six–Speed Paddle Shift with Automatic Modes1 offers total driver involvement with an automatic transmission. In the “S” mode, the steering wheel controls allow you to upshift or downshift whenever you want for maximum performance – while never taking your hands off the wheel. The “S” or “D” mode allows normal automatic operation without using the paddles. The “S” mode offers a firmer shift pattern with more aggressive shift calibrations for a more engaging shift performance.

Not available on Z06.

Six speed auto trans? I did not know GM made a six speed auto.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Yep, new for 2006 C6 Coupe and Vert :thumb:

This is NOT a sequential shifter.....it's still an automatic, but the 6 speeds are great. Potentially better acceleration and gas mileage and more driver involvement.

I want a true sequential manual transmission with an automatic mode for street traffic situations. Paddle shifter on steering wheel on a stick shifter. THAT, would be very kewl :cool: AND, giving almost instantaneous shift = better accelration and downshifts. No clutch necessary.

Search threads for the "Zero Shift" transmission.....for more info. :yeadog:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
AJRZ06 said:
I was on GM's web site and one of the optional transmissions for the C6 coupe and convertible was this:

[/IMG]

Six–Speed Paddle Shift with Automatic Modes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new available Six–Speed Paddle Shift with Automatic Modes1 offers total driver involvement with an automatic transmission. In the “S” mode, the steering wheel controls allow you to upshift or downshift whenever you want for maximum performance – while never taking your hands off the wheel. The “S” or “D” mode allows normal automatic operation without using the paddles. The “S” mode offers a firmer shift pattern with more aggressive shift calibrations for a more engaging shift performance.

Not available on Z06.

Six speed auto trans? I did not know GM made a six speed auto.

I do like the look of the shift knob! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI there,
A little tech information on this one.
There are 5 bleed pressure control solenoids, to custom tailor the shift times and feel.
The more simple design of the 6L80-E is very cool.
The entire pressure control section is a 2 piece cast aluminum valve body, with 8 total solenoids. Being completely integrated should make for a much more reliable transmission and MUCH faster shift times than the 4L60 times of .45 seconds.
My feeling is that this is going to be one hell of a transmission.
Unfortunately, the first year is most likely going to be on exchange anyway.
But, as a transmission technician, I cant wait to service this unit.
Allthebest, c4c5

·
Registered
695 Posts
Anyone actually driven one?

I just read the write up in CQ and as wondering how good the manual mode is. Has anyone actually driven one to see how quickly it shifts in manual mode and how well it rev matches? Is this a trackable trans?

Any info appreciated. :mug: :D

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
tdzee said:
I just read the write up in CQ and as wondering how good the manual mode is. Has anyone actually driven one to see how quickly it shifts in manual mode and how well it rev matches? Is this a trackable trans?

Any info appreciated. :mug: :D
Hi there,
Yes, it is a very good transmission for the track.
3 modes total for the shifting calibration.

D mode, where the shifter is in D, smooth shifts and compliant feel.

S mode, where the shifter is in S, firmers shifts where you have the option to use the paddles, but it is NOT required.

S mode with paddle input, which you select the transmission gear. The transmission control module will inhibit an extreme upshift or downshift, if you misque and try to get 2 gears down or up and overrev the engine.

Driven it, love it. Allthebest, c4c5

·
Registered
107 Posts
Check out the new issue of Automobile for a sidebar on the new tranny in the Z06 article

·
Registered
590 Posts
I did not care for the transmission..it was slow to shift in the paddle mode..you can tell it was a Caddy tranmission before it was a Corvette transmission...it is just a marketing gimmick to upcharge for the more popular auto transmission in the coup and convertible..I have driven three of them and they all shifted the same way...decreased fuel consumption was the reason for the introduction of this transmission...as far as the performance the old 4 speed and the new 6 speed seem about the same in acceleration..I'll continue to use the 6 speed manual transmission as long as my left leg keeps working..if it was a sequential transmission that would get me excited..:D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Paddle shifters are for girls ;) Driven the M3 SMG loads and just can't see the attraction. Gimmick IMHO. For me, using the clutch is part of the fun. What's the point in having a sports car and then not having full control over it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI there,
Actually, they only gained 1 mpg more fuel mileage.
And this transmission was not a Cadillac first.
This is an all new design, which was slated for Corvette, XLRv and STSv all at the same time.
It will be in the pickup trucks for 07.
When you drive it on the track, you will see what I mean, it is an extremely capable transmission.
Allthebest, c4c5

·
Registered
103 Posts
I drove one yesterday in another GM car that was a pilot of an upcoming '07 model. It makes for a good automatic, but is not the same as driving a manual. You did have to occasionally think about it when trying to upshift at the same time you were turning the wheel (the car that I was driving had what looked like the same paddle shifters as the Corvette). About half way through driving it I ended up just sticking the transmission in drive and not messing with the shifters. It made for a great automatic but it wasn't the same as a manual - not the same feel. If somebody is used to driving an automatic they will be happy, if you are used to driving a manual and prefer that it I don't think you will be satisfied.

Kevin

·
Registered
139 Posts
best of both worlds, fast upshift with the heel-toe downshifts:

no-lift straight cut gear tranny. i think this is what's being used on the c6r or similar to it. these straight cut gears are amazingly loud. sitting in the middle of the corkscrew at laguna seca and hearing the lead pack come up the hill and get off the throttle, all of a sudden it went from a low rumble to a high pitch whine.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Next year or so when the Porsche TT hits with PDK dual clutch sequentials and its raved about by the press and the public...

Maybe GM will offer a similiar dual clutch concept on the C6 Z06....

I'd buy one....and would order up DSG on the Z before the navigation or XM radio ....

DSG rules..(aka PDK on the porsche..)

I don't know what GM will call it but eventually it will hit the corvette as its an amazing concept.

I hope they keep the shifter on the floor as well as those little paddles like BMW/audi and unlike Ferrari.

I like shifter on the floor with DSG the best.

Porsche will probably run it that way like Audi does giving the driver the option of paddles or a central shifter...

I think the paddles are not as much fun as the central shifter even with DSG.

JMO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts