Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So im following this older lookin dude in his fancy dancy mercedes. nice lookin car. He is going super slow 35-40 in a 45 and wont let me pass him. every time i tried he got into that lane. We finally got onto the highway and he did the same thing, so i said screw it he doesnt want to play and put her in 5th and it was cruising from there at about 55-60. all of a sudden out of nowhere, the guy floors it, so i figured what the hell and dumped it down a few gears and the chase began. given he had a head start, it took me a little bit to catch him, but around 80-90 i was reeling him in and at 150 i was passing him. unfortunately at that point wehad to start slowing down due to traffic up ahead. holy crap are those things fast!! whew! went by the guy we shared a wave and i continued to work. Ill hand it to Mersedes for making one heck of a fast 4000lb car. sharp looking too. too bad it cost almost $200K

Any and all events explained in this story may or may not be factual and could simply be exaggerated. :lol:

now that i think about it, it could have just been an SL600... the 65 seems liek it should be faster.... oh well it was a 6 something roadster. silver... dual exhaust...

·
Registered
669 Posts
silver huh? i hear thats the fastest color they make

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Fancy dancy....... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mercedes made a few rides with some sneaky stuff under the hood. A few had gull wing doors too. Had an SLR on the fender..... Seen these in Frankfurt Auto Show. Yeah, prices had a comma behind a zero I would never see in my lifetime. Good romp.....:yeadog:

·
Registered
208 Posts
If it had a quad exhaust, then it's an SL65; otherwise it's an SL600. Regardless, both are V12 twin turbo monsters. The only problem is that Mercedes caps both at 155 mph.

I own an SL55 and it is just as fast as my Z06.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fancy dancy....... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mercedes made a few rides with some sneaky stuff under the hood. A few had gull wing doors too. Had an SLR on the fender..... Seen these in Frankfurt Auto Show. Yeah, prices had a comma behind a zero I would never see in my lifetime. Good romp.....:yeadog:
thank you. yeah they rock

If it had a quad exhaust, then it's an SL65; otherwise it's an SL600. Regardless, both are V12 twin turbo monsters. The only problem is that Mercedes caps both at 155 mph.

I own an SL55 and it is just as fast as my Z06.
maybe thats why he let out at 150ish hahaha

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Then there's the C63AMG ...It'll run about like a C5Z ...
Edmunds sez:
Manufacturer Curb Weight (lb): 3,649
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 451 @ 6,800
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 443 @ 5,000
0 - 60 (sec): 4.4
0 - 75 (sec): 6.3
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 12.5 @ 113.7

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Nice run.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So im following this older lookin dude in his fancy dancy mercedes. nice lookin car. He is going super slow 35-40 in a 45 and wont let me pass him. every time i tried he got into that lane. We finally got onto the highway and he did the same thing, so i said screw it he doesnt want to play and put her in 5th and it was cruising from there at about 55-60. all of a sudden out of nowhere, the guy floors it, so i figured what the hell and dumped it down a few gears and the chase began. given he had a head start, it took me a little bit to catch him, but around 80-90 i was reeling him in and at 150 i was passing him. unfortunately at that point wehad to start slowing down due to traffic up ahead. holy crap are those things fast!! whew! went by the guy we shared a wave and i continued to work. Ill hand it to Mersedes for making one heck of a fast 4000lb car. sharp looking too. too bad it cost almost $200K

Any and all events explained in this story may or may not be factual and could simply be exaggerated. :lol:

now that i think about it, it could have just been an SL600... the 65 seems liek it should be faster.... oh well it was a 6 something roadster. silver... dual exhaust...
There's an easy way to tell if it was an SL65 or something else........

What do you normally run in the 1/4 mile?

Almost all Mercedes SL65's will run somewhere between 11.6-11.9 @ 120-125 mph. Last time I had mine to the track I ran 11.65 @ 124 mph. Bone stock.....including the tires.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
There's an easy way to tell if it was an SL65 or something else........

What do you normally run in the 1/4 mile?

Almost all Mercedes SL65's will run somewhere between 11.6-11.9 @ 120-125 mph. Last time I had mine to the track I ran 11.65 @ 124 mph. Bone stock.....including the tires.
I didn't know they were that fast Rich...damn impressive stock !

Pitt

·
Registered
28 Posts
the c6 z06 will easily kill the C63 merc..however with the SL65 amg it would be harder ..if the z06 driver is not up to it, the sl65 might give him a hard time otherwise..the z06 is however faster in a straight drag.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I like the Kleeman cars... nice. :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
It could have been three different versions. By the sound of it you raced a sl600 (non amg). It is also the heaviest (the luxury version). The sl65 has quads. It also packs more power in its v12TT as well as less weight. If it was a sl65 black series (275k car) 661hp from the factory. Im a big fan of mercedes amg's as well as zo6's. Both are great cars. I owned a c55 AMG previously and now am looking to get a c5 zo6.

·
9,755 Posts
Keep in mind the OP was driving a C5Z - not a C6Z.
I think he would have reeled him in a lot faster in a C6Z.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would a C6Z beat a SL65 AMG on the freeway? I know the 65 has more power 604hp and 738tq but also has A LOT more weight almost 4k or more pounds I think.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Would a C6Z beat a SL65 AMG on the freeway? I know the 65 has more power 604hp and 738tq but also has A LOT more weight almost 4k or more pounds I think.
I had a black one with a girl passenger, chase me down on a Sunday morning with no cars in sight. He roared up, paced me and then nailed it. I was in 4th gear (pretty close to third gear redline) so I had no choice but to just hammer it down in forth. I stopped his pull instantly and pulled away easy. It was ugly.

I slowed back down and he wouldn't pull up beside me...just rode at my bumper. His girl was laughing her butt off as I slowed for the exit ramp and they went by.
I went straight home to look up what I had just run against. The car is pretty heavy, plus he had a passenger. Beautiful car though !!

The point of all that is, at my last Bowling Green event, a C6Z behind me said he was pulling on me all thru 4th gear so I would say yes, the C6Z will out run it on the freeway

1 - 18 of 18 Posts