Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled the engine a tad too high---just over the MAX mark. Should I drain 1/2 qt. or just fuggetaboutit?

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
I answered on another topic, but its worth repeating. I wouldn't worry about being up to 1/2 qt over. At the track, I add a qt so its 1 over like the video says to do. By the end of the day it is long gone. :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel comfortable now---

I have only 1200 miles on my Z today---first time I added oil---no leaks here--so some oil burning is usual?? How much should I expect to burn in 250, 500 or 1,000 miles? Normal??

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Normal

jnation,

This is a topic your gonna have to keep us up to speed on. Most owners here have 01 Z's and oil usage was a ongoing topic. the 02 Z's have a new ring style so usage is not known at this point. On the 01's C4C5 our resident Dr. states breakin was not complete till around 5-7k miles. Some used no oil whatsoever others had real bad oil burners with excessive to the point of GM buybacks and or ring replacement. Keep us informed............................

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will do

I drove my 2002 from Atlanta to Dallas and checked the stick at every fill up----I never really let the tank get below 1/3---gave me a reason to downshift and vary the speed for the break-in.

But now I am in town the stick has dropped from exactly in the middle of the ADD and MAX mark to just 1/8 above the ADD mark. It has been a few days since I checked the level but I was suprised at the level. I did what the instructions said---check the oil hot and give it a few minutes to drain down.

I added almost a full qt. and that put me just above the MAX mark. I have to admit....I have been driving the hell outta this baby. Just so much fun! When the engine gets hot--I just gotta run her to 5,700 RPMS in each gear. That means only to third---fourth would get me in jail if I got caught.

I will keep all you 2001 owners as up to date as possible. Drive safely;)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I had them put 7 quarts in mine when I changed the oil today after 9,100 miles. The guy who changed it has a 1959 Vette. By the way he said the oil didn't look any different than it does when he changes a car with 3,000 miles on it. :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just get out there and run it around, you'll get the oil level down.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do!

Fast and fun---this machine is incredible!---I enjoy scaring the shit outta my passengers. I also have adjusted the rearview so I can see the look on the hotrods that I pass explosively.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Re: Will do!

jnation said:
Fast and fun---this machine is incredible!---I enjoy scaring the shit outta my passengers. I also have adjusted the rearview so I can see the look on the hotrods that I pass explosively.
:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts