Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran slow again tonight. I ran 13.66 at 2.48 60'. I know the 60 foot was horrendous and it was bad driving but what scares me is the MPH again, it is only 108 MPH. I ran a 2nd time and went 13.6 with a 60' of 2.25 and MPH of 107 MPH. Now if those MPH's aren't slow then I am dreaming. Last time you all said more driving time needed. I agree still, but don't you think the MPH is slow????? Last week I ran 13.0 with 108 MPH and a 60' of 2.0. Then that same night ran again a 13.0 with a 60' of 2.12 and 108 mph. Now with a 13.0 don't you think I should be running a little higher in the MPH zone. I am a little worried. I have had the traction control system go out, my fuel Gage is broken, and my oil Gage said low oil last night. I just had the oil changed and it was only 2000 miles ago. Why would my car say low oil?? I have not seen any leaking or active leaks. Please help with some meaningful commentary, what to do next if anything???? Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
I ran slow again tonight. I ran 13.66 at 2.48 60'. I know the 60 foot was horrendous and it was bad driving but what scares me is the MPH again, it is only 108 MPH. I ran a 2nd time and went 13.6 with a 60' of 2.25 and MPH of 107 MPH. Now if those MPH's aren't slow then I am dreaming. Last time you all said more driving time needed. I agree still, but don't you think the MPH is slow????? Last week I ran 13.0 with 108 MPH and a 60' of 2.0. Then that same night ran again a 13.0 with a 60' of 2.12 and 108 mph. Now with a 13.0 don't you think I should be running a little higher in the MPH zone. I am a little worried. I have had the traction control system go out, my fuel Gage is broken, and my oil Gage said low oil last night. I just had the oil changed and it was only 2000 miles ago. Why would my car say low oil?? I have not seen any leaking or active leaks. Please help with some meaningful commentary, what to do next if anything???? Dr.Bigg
I still thinks its fine. What was the weather like? May want to have someone take a pass with it that has alot of experience with our car. Where do you live??

·
Registered
497 Posts
u need better traction..and ur mph is not too low it should be around 110+ and im sure its possible next time you go to the track.
about the oil getting low thats something normal, just check your oil level and u might need to add a quart and it will be fine..it happened to me once, it because you tracked your car and more oil was burned thats all.. :cheers:

ebrahim

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
With respect to your low oil light, first don't drive the car with the low oil light on. :eek:o:
Second, anytime your change your oil always check it manually with the dipstick to insure the oil it at the proper level. It's probably as simple whomever changed the oil, only added 6 quarts of oil instead of the required 7 quarts. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
IT L GO said:
With respect to your low oil light, first don't drive the car with the low oil light on. :eek:o:
Second, anytime your change your oil always check it manually with the dipstick to insure the oil it at the proper level. It's probably as simple whomever changed the oil, only added 6 quarts of oil instead of the required 7 quarts. :cheers:

The manual calls for 6.5 which is about right on mine, One time the dealer put only 5.5 which made me not ever go back again, But DrBiggs, Do what they say, check the oil, then have some one experienced try the car, One pass , he/she will know if there's something to fix!

Also, I suggested a while back that it could be wheel hoping, but you told me you didn't hop, but everything still goes back too, Wheel hop triggers the Ac/TC computer regardless of them being on or off, also the ABS gets effected by it, So in these temps, I still believe your getting wheel hop :ity:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
What temp are you racing at? At 220 these cars retard and you lose HPs...Are you pulling to redline in all gears to maximize your mph...Lastly, if you are barely getting into 4th gear at the end, it probably indicates the timing has retarded because of temp and that's the possible reason you are not mph'ering...After your burnout and before you put into competitve driving mode, check your temp...

Greg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Simple solution- have the car dynoed for 50 bucks. If it's 340 or better sae then the car is fine and probably your driving. 107-108 traps for a z06 are not right

·
Registered
33 Posts
My car did the same thing. First time at the track I could run no better than a 12.8 @ 110 mph. I had 20 people tell me I dont know how to drive. I insisted the car was down on HP based on MPH. I have a lot of driving time at the track in various cars. Well the next day driving on the freeway my car broke down. The #4 intake valve spring let go. Long story short. Car was fixed by dealer. Went back to track last night still bone stock. Ran a 12.58 at 115.4 MPH on a 2.04 60'. Get the car dynoed and see if you power is way lower than normal. Mine sure was.

·
Registered
413 Posts
most of the times when I had low mph it was becuase I hit the rev limiter or short shifted i.e. shifted to early, more rpm left. These cars like shifting within 200rpm of rev limiter ... can make 3-4mph difference alone.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear a lot of good advice. First, I always shift as close to redline as possible without bumping the limiter, I am pretty good at that. Second, I still did't feel wheel hop. I think in the second pass I just did not give enough gas coming out of the start because I was afraid of running another 2.45 60', so I babied it a bit and I think I just let off too much. Also, The oil issue is probably true, they probably put in less than the normal amount of oil, I dumped 2 quarts in at the autozone, it looks like it is back to max now. I live in Melbourne, Florida. I don't know anyone with driving experience around here. I was told to have the rods checked for bending. Does that make sense?? I bought the car off a lot here and now I realize the owner before me drove it harder than normal, or at least I think so because he had toyo proxes t1-s tires on all four. He also has the zip tie mod in the air box, I did not do that. INFO, or commentary?????? I drove the car slowly for about 25-30 miles before I could reach an autozone and get the mobile 1 5/30 synthetice oil for the car. I drove it that far with the low oil light on. BAD?????? The car seems normal, no noises or anything weird. The gages never raised up or lost oil pressure. DR. BIGG

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
I hear a lot of good advice. First, I always shift as close to redline as possible without bumping the limiter, I am pretty good at that. Second, I still did't feel wheel hop. I think in the second pass I just did not give enough gas coming out of the start because I was afraid of running another 2.45 60', so I babied it a bit and I think I just let off too much. Also, The oil issue is probably true, they probably put in less than the normal amount of oil, I dumped 2 quarts in at the autozone, it looks like it is back to max now. I live in Melbourne, Florida. I don't know anyone with driving experience around here. I was told to have the rods checked for bending. Does that make sense?? I bought the car off a lot here and now I realize the owner before me drove it harder than normal, or at least I think so because he had toyo proxes t1-s tires on all four. He also has the zip tie mod in the air box, I did not do that. INFO, or commentary?????? I drove the car slowly for about 25-30 miles before I could reach an autozone and get the mobile 1 5/30 synthetice oil for the car. I drove it that far with the low oil light on. BAD?????? The car seems normal, no noises or anything weird. The gages never raised up or lost oil pressure. DR. BIGG

I look over starter post and noticed your 60ft of 2.45?? Thats is abnormally low, and if you already drove it down the 1/4 before several times, you should of been already getting the times down, I honestly have to say I didnt' notice the 60ft, there is something wrong with the car, even if you wheel hop and spin it would by worst 2.1, and if you bog actually should go 2.0 something, so I would check that out! Good Luck and let me know what it ends up being because Im curious, because alot of us will problably go through the same kinda of problem down the road if the car is raced :pp:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
Don't worry about the oil, as long as the light is off right now your fine. I ran at the track with a quart down and was fine. You mentioned no wheelhop? The 1-2 shift usually shows some wheelhop not necessarily the launch. Try a full burn out so you can come out a little harder off the line and slip the clutch. Weather plays a huge role also. You may be down 50hp from the weather alone. Hopefully someone on hear can meet up with you and you guys can switch cars and take a pass.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Couto I ran 2.0 60' last week. Thats not the point. I am concerned about the mph being low. That usually is a better indicator of the cars HP. By the way just to let you all know, there was a red z06 there at the track the other night when I ran 13.0's he ran 13.1's and he had a modified exhaust system on the car. His mph was 108 as well. I have not seen any higher than that here. There was a guy who told me I should be running 114 or so but I did not see what he was running. The fact that the other driver ran the same times and the same mph makes me feel a little better but then again I knew this before I started the thread. I still think something is wrong with it. Dr. Bigg

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
What is the elevation at the track you race at??? Did you overhear anyone mention what the DA was that day?

Greg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
I ran slow again tonight. I ran 13.66 at 2.48 60'. I know the 60 foot was horrendous and it was bad driving but what scares me is the MPH again, it is only 108 MPH. I ran a 2nd time and went 13.6 with a 60' of 2.25 and MPH of 107 MPH. Now if those MPH's aren't slow then I am dreaming. Last time you all said more driving time needed. I agree still, but don't you think the MPH is slow?????
Honestly, no one can really tell if there is a problem with your car with those 60's. The very first post that was erased stated you spun all the way into 2nd. (Which can definitely cause low traps, because when the car finally hooks your way down in the RPM range.) Then you stated you babied the throttle in first and possiblly into second(I can't recall). Those were actually your better 60's, so you are definitely causing some of your low MPHs. It's just with the info provided it's difficult to make an educated guess at this point. I'm not sure if you ever stated the track altitude yet either.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Track weather was about 48 degrees and the altitude is sea level. We are in orlando florida. I go to speed world when I can. I have run better in the car before but never faster mph then 109 mph. I might have hit 110 before but that is by far the fastest and was only 1 time. I have never been able to duplicate that speed. I am going to take it into an experienced shop and have them look to see if the push rods are bent. I bet they are. I am also going to get it dynoed. I'll keep you all posted. Again, the fact that another car there ran slower than I did made me feel better. Dr. BIGG

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm pretty certain that you have some internal problems...At that altitude I'm pretty sure that I would run 120...I would kill for that kinda DA...After you get it checked out, let us know...Did you ever mention what year yours is? Is it under warranty?

Greg

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
You may want to hook up with FRC Tom and AntiVenom (Greg) over in the Clearwater/Tampa area!!
They know C5's and won't do you wrong!!
Do a search and PM either one. FRC Tom is a moderator here so he is online more!

Ken

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would like to know if something is wrong with the car. It is still under warranty for another 10 days. I am buying the extended from fichtner chevy soon. I am taking it in for warranty work, gas gage problem and moving seat on the passenger side. It is 2002 with 405 hp. After I get it back from the dealer it is going on the dyno the first chance I get. Then we will know for sure. Dr.Bigg FRC Tom if you are out there I would like your input. THANKS, Dr.Bigg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts