Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have tested my car twice through our local revenue collector/smog test and she has failed both times. I have the LG long tubes with race cats. The first time it failed 2 out of the 3 tests, the second time it passed all but the hydrocarbons. We are allowed .37, and I pulled 1.50 the first time, .60 the second. I got the car really hot, running it on the highway in 4th at 100-120 mph before getting tested. Any ideas??

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm no expert here but how about putting the factory cats on for the test

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
OLDGUY said:
I'm no expert here but how about putting the factory cats on for the test
They won't fit :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Z06KahunaCanuck said:
Hey guys,

I have tested my car twice through our local revenue collector/smog test and she has failed both times. I have the LG long tubes with race cats. The first time it failed 2 out of the 3 tests, the second time it passed all but the hydrocarbons. We are allowed .37, and I pulled 1.50 the first time, .60 the second. I got the car really hot, running it on the highway in 4th at 100-120 mph before getting tested. Any ideas??
There is product on the market called Guaranteed to Pass Emissions Test Formula. I don't know if it's snake oil or not.
Do a search on Google. Pep Boys etc carries it. :cheers:

·
Registered
882 Posts
In some states where I have lived in the past with smog testing, old cars that cannot pass have a small dollar limit for repairs. If the car still does not pass, the owner still can drive it. I guess it is the PC thing to allow those that drive rust buckets to belch smoke instead of taking them off the street. Is this still true overall? :-?

For Z06KahunaCanuck: How often are you tested? May be worth it to rig up a cat pipe just to pass the test? If it is a big enough pain, you may want to install a stock exhaust just to pass? How many times can you fail before they "tax" you more? Just curious. :eyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hydrocarbon level too high

If you have access to a programmer unit like the Diablo (or better) you could lean out the A/F mixture just slightly to reduce your HC readings during the testing. But be careful because leaning it out too much for your smog test will cause the NOx emmissions to climb. Here's a link to the California smog test glossary:

California DMV

Good Luck!

-Greg W

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! We are tested here every two years. If you car is a 91 or older, all you have to spend is $500 and then you pass no matter what...it's pathetic.

I have seen that guaranteed to pass stuff, but on the bottle it says if you have changed your emmisions system from stock there is no guarantee. All it really does is clean your injectors...I doubt that is going to help me pass much.

Looks like I will have to switch the stock system back onto the car...what a pain!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Z06KahunaCanuck said:
Thanks guys! We are tested here every two years. If you car is a 91 or older, all you have to spend is $500 and then you pass no matter what...it's pathetic.

I have seen that guaranteed to pass stuff, but on the bottle it says if you have changed your emmisions system from stock there is no guarantee. All it really does is clean your injectors...I doubt that is going to help me pass much.

Looks like I will have to switch the stock system back onto the car...what a pain!

maybe not, you'll spend hundreds of dollars to switch to stock, just take a $50 bill or at most a $100 bill, park your car at the office lot and walk to the youngest and coolest tester, tell him your situation, he'll love your car and manage something with your bribe :thumb: money talks the rest walks :thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
maybe not, you'll spend hundreds of dollars to switch to stock, just take a $50 bill or at most a $100 bill, park your car at the office lot and walk to the youngest and coolest tester, tell him your situation, he'll love your car and manage something with your bribe :thumb: money talks the rest walks :thumb:
Shame on you :lol:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Z06KahunaCanuck said:

I believe that 91 or older rule wouldnt apply to your situation even if your car was old enough, for that rule to work you have to have everthing OEM to pass that, at least here in MD it is, and it doesnt matter how old the car is, as lond as everything is stock and you cant pass, you spent $500 or just give them straight up $500 and you will be Exempt For the rest of the vehicles life, Im pretty sure if you get pulled over and they check your stuff you will need to fix it accordingly, but as far as smog you wont get called for it anymore, but this as nothing to do with your situation :eek:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
If you can't find a crook to cheat, here's some suggestions:

1. Change your oil. Clean oil = less hydrocarbons.

2. Get new cats. They perform a lot better when new. Consider getting a "thru" pipe made up and save the cats for the next test.

3. If you're using a fuel additive, stop for a while, running a couple of tankfulls of straight gas.

4. If your thermostat has been changed, go back to the stock one for the test. I believe it's a 190 degree stat.

5. Install new O2 sensors and spark plugs. Clean your air filter.

6. Get an LS1 edit tune for smog....lean it out and back off timing. Also, there are some fuel cells that can be trimmed out.

7. As a last resort, mix some methanol with your gas. Be careful, you need to mix the methanol with an ounce of MEK or Acetone, as it won't mix with the gas will milk up in your tank. The methanol burns really hot.

To find a crook, just talk to an engine rebuilder, engine tuner, muffler shops, or the guys at your local Corvette Club. (i.e. talk to people who have had or seen cars with the same problem).

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
01ZEE06 said:
If you can't find a crook to cheat, here's some suggestions:

1. Change your oil. Clean oil = less hydrocarbons.

2. Get new cats. They perform a lot better when new. Consider getting a "thru" pipe made up and save the cats for the next test.

3. If you're using a fuel additive, stop for a while, running a couple of tankfulls of straight gas.

4. If your thermostat has been changed, go back to the stock one for the test. I believe it's a 190 degree stat.

5. Install new O2 sensors and spark plugs. Clean your air filter.

6. Get an LS1 edit tune for smog....lean it out and back off timing. Also, there are some fuel cells that can be trimmed out.

7. As a last resort, mix some methanol with your gas. Be careful, you need to mix the methanol with an ounce of MEK or Acetone, as it won't mix with the gas will milk up in your tank. The methanol burns really hot.

To find a crook, just talk to an engine rebuilder, engine tuner, muffler shops, or the guys at your local Corvette Club. (i.e. talk to people who have had or seen cars with the same problem).

Good luck :thumb:

#1- $30

#2- $400

#4- $30

#5- $40-50

#6- $500

#7 -$40

total $ 1100 estimated, good ideas and most likely would work, but take a $100 bill and get it over with :p :D :rofl:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Try ethyl alcohol. I have heard that it will fix your situation. Methyl alcohol is very corrosive.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are hilarious! Thanks for the input. I might try running it through again after cleaning the air filter and changing the oil...it's $23 to retest, so it's worth a try...I wish I knew someone with LS1edit in my area...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts