Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the C5 coupes are rated at .29 and the Z06 are at .31,but I've always wondered how much more CD is added with the headlights up in the C5's. Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Next to a flat plate, the shape of the headlamps (kind of like a triangle with the apex pointed away from the flow) is one of the least aerodynamically efficient shapes there is.

I bet it's a lot. I read somewhere that the C6 designers referred to the popup lights on the C5 as "Air Brakes".

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
OutlawDon said:
I know the C5 coupes are rated at .29 and the Z06 are at .31,but I've always wondered how much more CD is added with the headlights up in the C5's. Anyone know?
If it wasn't Friday, I'd calculate it for you. :guiness:

·
Registered
369 Posts
OutlawDon said:
How does the rating work? is .21 better than .31 or vice versa?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've always referred to the the C5 headlights as air brakes. It makes for great support of the C6s flush headlights.

Conversely, wouldn't it be cool if you could use your deck lid as an air brake? You would have to have a strong mechanism to force it up quickly and then bring it back down when you've slowed to the speed of choice. Of course you would have to have a secondary trunk lid underneath it if you planned on using the storage space below. Without the secondary trunk lid you would have to leave the trunk empty or everything would go flying out when the lid flew up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't have much to add to the drag coefficient part of this, obviously the drag is increased with the headlights popped up. Why is this such a BIG deal to everyone? How many of you folks out there are running at 160+ MPH in the dark? At these speeds in the dark you will most likely be out running your headlights ability to light up the road for a long enough distance in front of you for you to react to situations properly.

Straatien - a lower CD number is more aerodynamic. .21 is way better than .31

Later ... Larry S.

·
Registered
806 Posts
MislMan said:
I don't have much to add to the drag coefficient part of this, obviously the drag is increased with the headlights popped up. Why is this such a BIG deal to everyone? How many of you folks out there are running at 160+ MPH in the dark? At these speeds in the dark you will most likely be out running your headlights ability to light up the road for a long enough distance in front of you for you to react to situations properly.

Straatien - a lower CD number is more aerodynamic. .21 is way better than .31

Later ... Larry S.
Yep, I agree. I dont drive at night just for the simple fact that the bugs are crazy and I know I will have to wash the car the next day. I hate bugs! :mah:

·
Z06 Master
2,627 Posts
MislMan said:
Most roll-ons are done from around 40-50 MPH up to 150 or so @ night. Might be why someone would be curious ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts