Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some out of town travel to do in the Vette this Labor Day weekend and as we all know gas just got freekin expensive. I usually don't worry about the price of gas, but now it does have me wondering about trying regular (87 octane) gas.

I read a post that got way off topic about de-tuning a Z for that purpose. Let's not go there.

Bottom line: is it "safe" to run regular gas in my '01 Z06? Believe me, if there is a risk of damage to the engine I have no problem buying whatever it needs.

I heard that the owner's manual says it's OK, but I haven't looked. I also heard that people hear disturbing sounds.

So whats the deal? :cool:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
It's okay as long as you don't push the motor, or lug it hard. Pinging usually occurs during when producing more power and the cylinder pressure is much higher due to the hotter combustion.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Average cost of 93 vs 87 here is .20/gallon. So if you managed to use 100 gallons of gas (enough for about 2500 miles in a Z06 on the highway), you'd save a whopping $20.00. On the other hand, if your engine did object to the lower octane and started pinging and you damaged it, a new engine will set you back a good bit more than $20.

It's not worth it. Put what GM says to put into the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
It's okay as long as you don't push the motor, or lug it hard. Pinging usually occurs during when producing more power and the cylinder pressure is much higher due to the hotter combustion.
I don't know if your running any mods, but I concur with Norm. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
I assumed the PCM would retard the timing to prevent this, and all you'd lose would be HP. Am I wrong here?

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
snakecharmer said:
Average cost of 93 vs 87 here is .20/gallon. So if you managed to use 100 gallons of gas (enough for about 2500 miles in a Z06 on the highway), you'd save a whopping $20.00. On the other hand, if your engine did object to the lower octane and started pinging and you damaged it, a new engine will set you back a good bit more than $20.

Except these days the first gallon of 93 would be $2.95 and the 100th would $9.65 ;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
RC45 said:
Except these days the first gallon of 93 would be $2.95 and the 100th would $9.65 ;)
very true but that also means the first gallon of 87 would be 2.75 and the 100's would be 9.45 :)
I'm willing to bet those guys that fill up the SUV's get to see the price change as they pump.

As for running lower octane I agree with the, you only same 20 bucks theory. What's the point?

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
quickZ said:
I assumed the PCM would retard the timing to prevent this, and all you'd lose would be HP. Am I wrong here?
To a point. The PCM is reactive and not proactive. It has to sense knock before it retards timing. Not a fail safe by any means. Ideally the ECM would save the motor, in reality, it only helps.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I don't want to sound like a snob, but if you can't afford the 30 cent per gallon price difference between regular and super, perhaps you shouldn't be driving a Z06. I mean what the hell? The car costs $50k new, and it gets 30 MPG on the highway, and now you want to save $0.30 per gallon? If $0.30 per gallon really matters to you, you should be driving a Honda Civic or something similar.

If cash got that tight for me, I would sell the Z06, and buy another one sometime in the future when I could afford it and the gas it needs. Hanging on to a car you can't afford will bury you.

If you can afford it, then suck it up and put the right gas in that it needs: Premium. Putting 87 in is penny wise and pound foolish. Last I checked, a new LS6 was about $6k to $7k plus installation. Assuming running 87 will kill your engine eventually (which it will when it burns holes in your pistons and valves from all the pinging), it would take 700,000 miles just to break even. You would be lucky to get 70k out of an LS6 running 87 all the time. It just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Z06ified said:
I don't want to sound like a snob, but if you can't afford the 30 cent per gallon price difference between regular and super, perhaps you shouldn't be driving a Z06. I mean what the hell? The car costs $50k new, and it gets 30 MPG on the highway, and now you want to save $0.30 per gallon? If $0.30 per gallon really matters to you, you should be driving a Honda Civic or something similar.

If cash got that tight for me, I would sell the Z06, and buy another one sometime in the future when I could afford it and the gas it needs. Hanging on to a car you can't afford will bury you.

If you can afford it, then suck it up and put the right gas in that it needs: Premium. Putting 87 in is penny wise and pound foolish. Last I checked, a new LS6 was about $6k to $7k plus installation. Assuming running 87 will kill your engine eventually (which it will when it burns holes in your pistons and valves from all the pinging), it would take 700,000 miles just to break even. You would be lucky to get 70k out of an LS6 running 87 all the time. It just doesn't make sense.
I've always thought the same thing, i just dont like being the first jerk to post it. But if you complain about the difference between spending $30 and $50 a week on gas? sell the car. Think of all the places you can save $20 if you really think about it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
snakecharmer said:

Same price difference here in MI and I go with the same logic. The difference is generally .20/gallon no matter how high the price goes. I will drive it everyday and fill up premium with the $20/100 gallon cost and count it as "engine insurance"!! :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
People have recently commented to me more frequently when im filling up my SUV. They ask me when I am going to sell my gas hog and I reply "why would I sell something I like driving and how would I tow my race car/trailer without this??"

If I cared about gas mileage or high gas prices I wouldnt have bought it. They shut up pretty quickly then and I drive off in comfort as they cram in their small import.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If the differential is $0.30 a gallon you are saving about $5.00 a fillup.

How much is an engine rebuild ??

Just fill with premium and drive conservatively.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
snakecharmer said:

Solid Gold Point....every once in a while I mix a half tank or so of mid grade with the premium with no harmful results..I feel good plus save a few bits towards the next gallon :coo:

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
My vette is choking from the 93 Octane in Florida and Texas down to 91 locally. And what a difference I felt as well. Although I hate to see prices going up on gas, (and feel somehow, the price hike is funding the war) I won't stop driving the Vette even for daily use or "around town senseless mileage". I love the ride and no point having it if you can't drive it. I drive it as often as possible, within reason. I keep hearing drive it like you stole it, buthow is that possible if your hiding it like it really was stolen? :thumb:

ENJOY IT NOW Before the prices really go up to some astronomical amount and you never get to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
reddeath said:
very true but that also means the first gallon of 87 would be 2.75 and the 100's would be 9.45 :)
I'm willing to bet those guys that fill up the SUV's get to see the price change as they pump.

yes my very economical SUV is definetely hurting me at the pump at the moment, I rode around for half an hour last night before filling it up. saw 3.25-3.85 for premium. the 3.85 one was 2.79 on monday when I filled the Z up there.

I'm thinking I might start running 100 octane cam2, I mean shit its 6 a gallon but we're gettin there pretty quickly this week....at least I can ahve some fun while wasting money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts