Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some folk tell me what they think this is. To me it looks like secondary rubber showing eventhough there is 1 or so 32nds of tread left in the center area of the tire. Notice how the wear is much more in the center than on the sides. The strange shaped things run about half way around the tire. These are F1 EMT's. Thanks for any feedback.
Doc E.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Looks like a case of over-inflation to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
That's odd, does the opposite side tire show the same signs of wear??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
It looks like overinflation but at 30 lbs this should'nt happen. Did you check tire temps after your track or drag run?

As for the secondary rubber it definitely looks like Goodyear has something laminated into the tire.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,247 Posts
Just guessing, but it's probably just extra rubber that dripped onto the tire, or a by-product of the process very early in the building process before the tire went into he "form" that molds the tread. You're past the wear bars at that point and getting into parts that are not intended to ever be visible.

Like I said, just a guess. (I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last month!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
BottleFed said:
Looks like overinflation to mee too....Maybe your Tire Pressure Gauge is wrong????

Yes Exactly...Over Inflated for sure...an inaccurate gauge probably.

:idea: Anyone heard of this....I have heard that stockcar people sometimes use Nitrogen for tire inflation because it is stable from hot to cold conditions. Meaning that tire pressue cold or hot will be the same,because the Nitrogen does not expand and contract with temp changes like atmoshere. Nitrogen is an inert non flamable gas and it's cheap 20/25 bucks for 304 cu/ft
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
What did the Goodyear Dealer say? :cheers:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,247 Posts
maineyak_2000 said:
Yes Exactly...Over Inflated for sure...an inaccurate gauge probably.

:idea: Anyone heard of this....I have heard that stockcar people sometimes use Nitrogen for tire inflation because it is stable from hot to cold conditions. Meaning that tire pressue cold or hot will be the same,because the Nitrogen does not expand and contract with temp changes like atmoshere. Nitrogen is an inert non flamable gas and it's cheap 20/25 bucks for 304 cu/ft

It also is harder to leak out. Something about the molecules are bigger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have checked and rechecked the pressures. the pressure monitoring system is within +/- 1 psi and i check the tires pressures most every time I drive. I am not running over inflated. And yes they are wearing like this all the way around the car; fronts and rears. I do not spin them peeling out from a dead stop; i do spin them everytime I drift a corner which is often.
Doc E.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,247 Posts
Dr.Electron said:
I have checked and rechecked the pressures. the pressure monitoring system is within +/- 1 psi and i check the tires pressures most every time I drive. I am not running over inflated.

Do you spin them alot??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
How many miles on the tires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW I see nitrogen at most race venues I am at. Gray tanks everywhere. It does not exapnd when heated near as much as earth's atmosphere. More stable, I cannot comment on molecule size/
Doc E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Dr.Electron said:
BTW I see nitrogen at most race venues I am at. Gray tanks everywhere. It does not exapnd when heated near as much as earth's atmosphere. More stable, I cannot comment on molecule size/
Doc E.
Even Costco uses nitrogen to fill its tires :z:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,756 Posts
Yeah, it also will dry out the condensation, etc. in the tire (which is a good thing). Have you ever let air out of a tire and some water sprays out with the air ? That will not happen with nitrogen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Those are called wear bars and are built in by the tire companies so that you will know its time to think about new tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
I had 21K on my car when it was totaled. Tires had about 8K left. Your wear pattern looks like the car needs a 4 wheel alignment. Recently had my 96 GS aligned and it made a huge difference in how it drives. Also, if you track the car, the pattern looks like what you will see from high speed driving. Tire pressure goes up with heat. That's why guys are talking over inflation. If you don't track it, then I would get the car aligned when you put on new tires.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top