Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read this before checking out the picture. Knowing the history helps to appreciate it. Through the viewfinder of his camera, Ensign John Gay could see the A/F18 drop from the sky as it headed toward the port side of the Aircraft Carrier Constellation at 1,000 feet. The pilot increases his speed to 750 mph, vapor flickering off the curved surfaces of the plane. At the precise moment of breaking the sound barrier, 200 yards form the carrier, a circular cloud formed around the Hornet. With the Pacific Ocean just 75 feet below the aircraft being rippled by the aircraft's pass, Gay hears the explosion of the sonic boom and snapped his camera shutter once. "I clicked the same time I heard the boom and I knew I had it." What he had was a technically meticulous depiction of the sound barrier being broken on July 7, 1999, somewhere on the Pacific between Hawaii and Japan. The photo recently took first prize in the science and technology division in the World Press Photo 2000 contest, which drew more than 42,000 entries worldwide. Because Ensign Gay is a member of the military he was ineligible for the cash prize. Gay used his personal Nikon 90 S, set his 80-300 mm zoom lens on 300 mm, his shutter speed at 1/1000 of a second and the aperture at F5.6. On July 7 everything was perfect. "You see vapor flicker around the plane. It gets bigger and bigger, then BOOM - it's instantaneous.” One second the vapor cloud is there, the next it's gone. Now go ahead open the picture.

http://corvetteforum.net/c5/jansseng/tmp/Cloud.jpg

------------------

[This message has been edited by Black_Magic (edited 02-25-2001).]

·
Registered
0 Posts

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Very

------------------
Mark's Web Site
*** Harrisburg Area Zaino Distributor ***

01 Z06 MY/BLK,Zaino,Lowered,Ripper - No time slips yet
92 RS ProStreet Camaro (454) - Best E.T to date 10.15 @ 136 mph

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Great shot!!!!

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I had the chance to cruise aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln for a couple of days last week.

They did an FA-18f "Super Hornet" demo off the side of the carrier. The picture is exactly what I saw. It was friggin awsome!!!!!!

------------------
Spdwy White Plus ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts