Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of confusion about dealers taking customer orders, what it means for production, delivery dates and allocations. ZO6 is different from other models in some ways, where the demand exceeds supply, versus a Malibu where a sold order will likely get placed the same week that the order is entered. I will focus on the ZO6 here.

Consensus is the first step in the process. It is the point where a dealer gets an "Estimated Shipment" number, showing an estimate of what they are likely to get in a future month's production. July Consensus covers (for the most part) production for 8/15-9/12.

Dealers taking customer orders can be done at any time in the model year. These are called preliminary orders and are kept in the dealers order bank until they are built, cancelled or the model year runs out. The dealer 'prioritizes' the preliminary orders from 1 to 99, where the #1 priority would get built first, if all that order is buildable within constraints and allocation.

DOSP is run on Thursdays. It is the process that will try to match a dealers sold orders in the order bank against the weekly constraints and allocation. This is where the priority comes into effect. If two orders are identical, and have the same priority, when the system tries to place a the order, it will guess, pick one, and it might not be the one the dealer wanted first.

Lead times for plants vary from two weeks to seven weeks. Bowling Green Assembly is a 3 week lead time plant. That means a DOSP cycle on July 14th is for production on the week of August 8th.

Allocation is a number of units a dealer is given in a specific week for processing against his order bank. Along with the allocation, there are certain constraints that come along as well. For example, the regular C6 has convertibles constrained to 50% of total C6 volume. Constraints are given to the dealers based on sales rate and availability in most cases, and only up to a total percent of the dealers allocation.

The current calendar for the DOSP shows that the 2006 C6 ZO6 DOSP will happen on July 21st. Using the 3 week lead time, it appears that the first dealer orders will be built in the week of August 15th.

SORP, or start of regular production is still slated for July 25th, so far as I can tell. So for the first 3 weeks of regular production, the plant must be building a small number of engineering cars/company cars/etc. to make sure that the line is ready to go with the customer orders.

I hope that this clears up (or it might make things worse) some of the confusion over production start dates, TPW's, order dates and most importantly, delivery dates.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice informative post! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Could this overly complex and complicated order entry, supply chain, manufacturing line and distribution management control model have anything to do with

a.) a recent upgrade to SAP... ;) :p or

b) be an indication as to why in the wide world of profitable automakers, GM is scraping the bottom of the barrel...?? ;)

:p

Good information never the less. hehe

·
Registered
203 Posts
RC45 said:
Could this overly complex and complicated order entry, supply chain, manufacturing line and distribution management control model have anything to do with

a.) a recent upgrade to SAP... ;) :p or

b) be an indication as to why in the wide world of profitable automakers, GM is scraping the bottom of the barrel...?? ;)

:p

Good information never the less. hehe

SAP - hahahahahahaha! Have worked with SAP (selling/doing implementations and building practices) for 12 years.

I was part of promoting the SAP implementation to GM Brasil many years ago. BTW cool facilities and they had some old Camaros there.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I read these allocation explanations and find them hard to follow. I just want a car.......most dealers don't seem to be slated for many units....

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
We'll all know more about this after the Fest.

A numbr of us are planning on visiting the assy plant, and asking a lot of questions. :yeadog:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
constren said:
I read these allocation explanations and find them hard to follow. I just want a car.......most dealers don't seem to be slated for many units....
All the dealers in the country use the same formula to calculate what part of each month's production they get.

Roughly, if they delivered 30 Vettes in the past 12 months, and GM delivered 30,000 retail in the past 12 months, they are 0.1% of the yearly volume. With some rounding and accounting for past months, the dealer would get 0.1% of the month's production. If the production forecast was for 2700 units, they would get 2.7 cars. So round up to 3 cars.

Next month, since you rounded *up* .3 of a car, to keep the accounting even, they will start out at -0.3 of a car.

That's the $0.02 tour of Corvette allocation.

Of the total C6 allocation, ZO6 is only a certain percentage of the past 12 month sales, and a small one at that. So don't expect huge numbers anywhere for the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
RFC2 said:
SAP - hahahahahahaha! Have worked with SAP (selling/doing implementations and building practices) for 12 years.

I was part of promoting the SAP implementation to GM Brasil many years ago. BTW cool facilities and they had some old Camaros there.
SAP!!! snicker ... let me tell you from my 23 years of experiance with Oracle it would have been no better. Oracle has a good product but the support SUX!!!!! :flaming:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts