Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Z06Vette.com Members,

We now have the solution to make the pinging and knocking from the 91 octane of California gas a problem of the past.

We have started stocking cases of Turbo 108 Racing Fuel Concentrate. It comes in 16 oz. bottles.

THIS IS NOT A FUEL ADDITIVE!!!!! 108 octane racing fuel in a bottle.

This concentrate is rated at 108 and you use 32 oz. every time you fill up to give you 95 octane. Use 48 oz. per tank full and it will bump up your rating to 98 octane. It is more cost effective over 100 octane gas and will bump up your octane rating higher when mixed.

All you do is pour in the 108 concentrate in your tank and then fill up.

You will feel the difference. No more pinging or detonation.

We have tested it and you can feel how much better your WOT is as well as how smooth your car will run. Acceleration is now a pleasure again.

Pour it in and you will be addicted!!

Barrie Bennett gained 6 hp on his 2001 Z06 on the dyno using this stuff!!!!!! I am sure he will chime in and give his opinion of this great booster!!

Product info can be seen here:
http://www.stores.yahoo.com/corvetteforum/tur108racfue.html

Thanks!

Shawn

·
Registered
65 Posts
Shawn,

Are you sure about the octane boost? From what I've read in the past, seven points is not the same as seven octane, not even close. Anyone know for sure how the formulation of gas is calculated?
Also, does this stuff hurt the O2 sensors?

L8tr,

Rick

311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

The Turbo 108 Racing Fuel Concentrate that we carry is NOT the same as the Turbo 108 Octane Booster.

The item that is: $2.99 per bottle is just that, an Octane booster, that is not a racing fuel concentrate.

The Turbo 108 item that we carry at: $6.95 per bottle is a racing fuel concentrate that will raise your octane rating from 91-98 octane if 3 oz. per gallon are mixed.

The item listed for: $2.99 is different that what we carry. The octane booster doesn't do anything as we have tested that out. It is kind of like Outlaw and is just a fuel additive.

The Turbo 108 that we offer does bump up performance, is not a fuel additive, but is pure racing fuel in a bottle.

Turbo 108 Racing Fuel Concentrate will increase your octane rating in your tank from 91 to 98 if you use 3 oz. per gallon.

It works like this:

1 oz. per gallon: Boosts 91-94 octane
2 oz. per gallon: Boosts 91-96 octane
3 oz. per gallon: Boosts 91-98 octane

Don't use more than 3 oz. per gallon. MMT is NOT harmful as it has been used in Canada since 1976 with no drawbacks.

The C5 has an 18 gallon capacity, so all you really need is 1 bottle or 2 bottles max per tankful and the car will run much better than it is right now.

I tried it myself and noticed the difference. You WILL notice it too!

Just to give you an idea of how it will make your C5 feel. You all know that running the car with the A/C on robs a little bit of power. It is that amount of power you don't want to lose, right? The Turbo 108 Racing Fuel Concentrate makes the car run as if you have the A/C turned off, but in fact the A/C will be on.

Run it and then stop using it and you will miss it.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Shawn's right. Racing Fuel Concentrate contains MMT(Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl). The Turbo 108 Octane Boost contains 2 different forms of Alcohol, but no MMT.

MMT has been used in Canadian Gasoline since 1976 to boost Octane. You can read about it at the following link:

http://www.nrtee_trnee.ca/eng/programs/Current_Programs/Health/MMT_e.htm

You'll read that our EPA(Environmental Protection Agency) has ruled that MMT does not damaged polution systems on vehicles.

Also, you'll read that our Automobile Manufactures say that MMT can effect some pollution system parts if used in extremely high doses over a very long period of time.

I figure that O2 sensors only last so long anyway, and I'll need to put new ones in ocassionally. The Cats will also wear out, but it will take a lot more miles. If the Canadian Gov't and our own EPA say it's "ok", thats good enough for me!!

Yes, we gained 6 hp with MMT on the Dyno. Only change was California 92 octane on original Dyno Run 3 mos ago, and then the second run was 2 mos later with California 91 octane, where we lost 5hp, and had a lot of detonation(Max timing was only 22 degrees btdc). Latest run was with 32 oz of the Racing Fuel Concentrate. No ping or knock, and computer maxed out timing at 26 degrees btdc.

I think I'll be using just one bottle per fill(usually 15-16 gallons and I'll get the same results. I'll need to do a Dyno run to make sure.

One real cool thing I noticed with MMT is when I first start my engine, I get a real cool snapping sound as I rev the engine. It sounds soooo powerful. Once the temp goes up the snapping sounds disappear.

One last thing, you can buy this stuff by the gallon and refill the neat red 16 oz bottles(they plug into your gas tank like they were made for it). I think it's about $20.00 per gallon.....so, that's 8 refills for 1 gallon(128 oz./gallon), or about $2.50 per 16 oz.....

You guys in other States with 92,93, and 94 octane, might be getting the 91 octane California Crap Gas! I hope not, but if it comes your way, MMT is the solution!!:)

HTH,
Barrie

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Well, it did it again. Soooo, for those of you who really want to know, you'll need to type in the usual fron part. Here's the last part you'll also need to type in: nrtee_trnee.ca/eng/programs/Current_Programs/Health/MMT_e.htm

Jared, you know how to fix this?

Barrie

311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,

The Turbo 108 Racing Fuel Concentrate is moving at a fast pace, especially to the guys here in CA.

Each 16 oz. bottle is priced at: $6.95. Each case comes with 6 bottles.

It is really great stuff!!

Shawn

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
IMA Z06,

Maybe its not the server, maybe it's the software. The link does work!! I recently emailed this to a friend and it worked(today). It's a long address, but what I typed had been shortened....i.e. what I typed did not show up on my post as I typed it:(

I'll try again and see what happens. If it gets changed, I'll send you a private email and hopefully It will show you the entire address. Here it is:

http://www.nrtee-trnee.ca/eng/programs/Current_Programs/Health/MMT_e.htm

I hope this comes thru as I typed it:)

Barrie

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another alternative that is well known to turbo drivers is paint thinner (Xylene or Toulene) that is about 112-114 octane. This stuff is readily available in hardware and paint stores. One gallon in 15 of 91 Octane give 93 Octane.
Do a search on the net and you will find several articles on it.

:D :cool: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GM does not recommend???

In 2002 Corvette owners manual under Fuel Additives, it says, "Some gasolines that are not reformulated for low emissions may contain an octane-enhancing additive called methylcyclopentacdienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT); . . . GM does not recommend the use of such gasolines. Fuels containing MMT can reduce the life of spark plugs and the performance of the emission control system may be affected. The malfunction indicator lamp may turn on."

It follows that if the MIL turns on and/or "if" at later time the car fails a CA smog test, repairs will not be covered under warranty by GM. This is stated clearly under "California Fuel" in the same section of the Corvette owners manual.

The 2002 owners manual for ALL model Corvettes (revised as of 6-22-01) states, "Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance." It goes on to say, "you may also use middle grade or regular unleaded rated at 87 octane or higher, but vehicle performance may be slightly reduced."

Did GM remove some kind of disclaimer for the Z06 in the previous 2001 edition of the owners manual? I seem to remember hearing (or reading) something recommending 93 octane for the 2001 Z06 "for best performance".

Has anyone experience ANY problems with MMT with regular use? Any problems with Service Engine Soon (MIL) light coming on while using this additive? If so, at what dosage, ie, ounces of MMT per gallon of 91 octane gasoline?

I could live with reduced life of spark plugs, but would not like to deal with any premature emission control system failures and/or smog test failures. Those kind of problems just aren't worth the hassle on a car still under GM's warranty.

Maybe one 16 oz. bottle per tankful for track use or when OAT is unusually warm on a long drive, but not used otherwise, would be the best (conservative) approach.

As an alternative, how about adding a bottle of Redline Oil's SI-1 fuel additive which reduces dependancy on higher octane fuels as well as helping to prevent formation of deposits in combustion chambers and keep intake valves clean. Once in a while a bottle could be added at say every few thousand miles or more regularly but at reduced dosage.

I've used this SI-1 in LT1, LT4 and LT5 engines as well as high compression motorcycle engines for years and never had any problems with reformulated premium unleaded (91-92 octane) gasoline in CA.

Anyone have any further comments or experience on the use of MMT, please post your observations . . . whether good or bad.

TIA.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
dsinned,

On my 4th post on this thread, is a link that finally worked. It's a treatice on MMT.

Bottom line is MMT has been used in Canadian Gas since 1976. Our EPA says MMT will not damage emissions equipment. U.S. Auto Manufacturer's disagree and put out a disclaimer that MMT "can" reduce spark plug life, and the performance of emission equipment. Sure, if you use 7 16oz. bottles of the stuff on every refill it may have some effect.....the disclaimer(my '01 Owner's Manual says exactly the same verbage as your "02 manual) allows GM an "out." The bottles of MMT have a similar disclaimer to protect them from future "claims."

I ask you to consider this point: What does the General say to those Canadians who can only get Gasoline with MMT in it???

I've used MMT since the 92 was eliminated. According to Steve Cole, everytime you fill up your tank(with 5 or more gallons of gas), the PCM resets the fuel requirement to about 94.5 Octane. Once detonation/pinging is picked up, the computer dials back the spark curve, and we lose power. With California Crap Gas, we tested the car and the maximum spark advance was 22 degrees btdc. A Dyno run detected heavy detonation/pinging above 4000 rpm. After adding MMT, timing maxed out at 26 degrees btdc, with no detonation/pinging. A fresh Dyno run showed 6 more hp.

Is it worth it? I like 6 more hp, but I'm more concerned with the adverse possible effects of long term detonation/pinging on my engine, that I may not be hearing.....especially at WOT.

Like you, I've seen the 93 Octane requirement mentioned in some
of the Auto Rags, but my owner's manual says that 91 is the minimum octane you should use.....

So far, I have not experienced a "malfunction lamp turn on." Like you, I'm not worried about the plugs, as they should be changed on occasion. Ditto on the Oxygen Sensors. The Cats haven't been effected in Canada, and they have really dropped in price recently should you need to replace them down the road.

In California, new cars are first smogged between 4 and 5 years, depending on the last digit of your VIN, and the month of purchase.

You are correct in using one 16 oz bottle to be conservative. The North American product, "Turbo 108 Racing Fuel Enhancer"has a chart on the bottle that states using 16 oz with 20 gallons of gas will raise your octane by 4 points(i.e. 95 octane). My usual fill up is 14-15 gallons. Also, you can buy it by the gallon for $17.00, if you don't mind the hassle of refilling the 16oz bottles. That's about $2.75 for 16oz!! However, it must be shipped as "Truck Cargo"(i.e. no UPS).

Your suggestion on Redline is a good idea, but not a substitute for more Octane. I use the Redline SI-1 as recommended: first use, dump in one 15oz bottle. Then, 2oz on each refill. You may put the redline in after you fill up, but the MMT must go in before you fill the tank.

Of course, each person will need to do what they feel is best! 6rwhp isn't that much to lose, and if your engine breaks or your emissions equipment should fail, you'll be safe. If you use MMT, I'm not sure how GM would know, unless you disclosed that fact to them. Would they do a chemical check on your gas? Would they do a lab check on your Cats?? I don't think so.

For me, it's a clear choice, and I'm gonna continue to use it!! Again, this stuff has been used in Canada for 25 years with no problems. I've seen nothing in California Law that says it's illegal to use MMT, but then again the California Smog Nazi's say it's illegal to change anything on a new vehicle including tire size!!!!!

HTH

1 - 18 of 18 Posts