Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took final delivery of my EB Z today, and have only driven it a grand total of 15 miles -- which isn't much -- but wanted to point out some of my observations.

Engine idles at 800 RPMs when fully warmed up (seems alittle high?). Idle seems very smooth, and engine noises are very minimal -- way more quiet than the 2001 coupe with LS1 that I previously had. Engine oil pressure seemed alot better on the new Z then on my 01 coupe when it was new. The old coupe haD ~18 psi at idle with hot oil, the new Z is ~32 psi :eek:. Oil pressure at 2500 RPMs was ~30 on 01 coupe, where its ~45 to 50 on the new Z. These comparison numbers are both with factory PF44 filter (not the Ultragaurd, which will actually give even better oil pressure). Does anyone know if the oil pump in the LS6 is higher pressure/output as compared to the LS1s?

A note about this whole "does the engine hold 6.5 qts or 7 qts of oil" issue. I'll tell you right now, that these cars come with the oil level TO THE FULL MARKS ON THE DIPSTICK when they come off the train/transport truck. So, for all you die hard "put in 6.5 qts regaurdless of what the dipstick says" -- you are barking up the wrong tree on this issue!! The attitude should be that you always go by the dipsick marks :D (Mark S., are you seeing this?). If you don't believe me, ask your dealer PDI guy if he had to add any oil to make it read full on the dipstick.

I checked for trouble codes after driving it alittle bit. I did find code U1000 H (a history code, so probably a glitch). I reset it and checked it again after some miles -- did not reappear, so probably nothing to be concerned about.

The car drove absolutely great! The clutch and tranny operation was smooth as silk. No notchy sifting and no buzzing in the shifter. Also, no startoff noises from the drive train like some say happens and is 'normal'. The only bizzar sound I heard was the 'normal' can of marbles sound when turning off the engine with the tranny in neutral. If the engine is shut off in gear, this sound goes away. Anyone know exactly why this is??

The 1st to 4th gear shift feature (CAGS). I noticed that in order for the CAGS to operate, you must first have come to a COMPLETE stop. If you are still rolling, and shift into 1st gear, the tranny will shift into 2nd gear no matter what the engine RPMs are. I never realized this until dirving a stick. Also, if you start off from a dead stop, you will see the 1-->4 shift light come on, but it will go off at exactly 2500 RPMs or above, and not force a 1 to 4 shift. I tell you that for me the CAGS is a non-issue becasue I usually alway rev above 2500 in 1st gear when taking off from a dead stop :D -- hey, it's a Zee!

The exhaust note is absolutely perfect. I really don't know how GM was able to make it pass the required noise tests, but aparently it did. I don't think the noise standard counts any throttle above a constant low speed cruise, which the exhaust is fairly quiet at. But give it any throttle above ~1/4 and its hard to miss the sweet sound of the engine :D. I know for sure that I will not be buying any aftermarket exhaust for this car. IMO, anything louder under load would be too loud -- at least for me, and I do like hearing the exhaust :D.

Brakes -- one word ... WOAH!! ... and that wasn't even hardly putting any pressure on the pedal. I can tell that these binders are SERIOUS! No wonder every car mag has set new 60 to 0 stopping distances with the Zee -- and that was the 01. Maybe the 02 is even better in this department :D.

When behind the wheel and piloting this beast, you just get this sense of pure power and agility at your commnad. I can tell after just 15 miles that this is ONE AWESOME CAR!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Trust me, after 1000 miles you will still feel the same way! :D :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Great review on the first impressions of the EBZ. I was also wondering, kind of in regaurds of the "marble sound at shut off" what is that racket that occurs when you take off from a dead stop. I know our 99 6 speed convertible did that, never have drove a Z06. Just kind of curious. Any takers on that??

Andy

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Nice writeup. You've raised my anticipation level about 3 notches.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I was in Vegas last week and didn't think about the wait much, now I login, see you got your blue baby and man.. the wait for me just multiplied... YOW!! I Want my Z!!!:D :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nice post!
I now have around 3400 miles after one week of driving the car I have had 3400 mile of smiles.
I do have the buzzing in the shifter, but I can live with it.
I went from a A4 2000 Coupe to the Z06 so I really feel the differance.
The only thing that bugs me is that if I have the parking brake set and push in the clutch (to start it) the car will roll. I almost screwed up my door at a gas station the first day I had the car.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
ZeeOhSix,

Thanks for your opinion on your new ride, I'm drooling big-time! Can you please explain the CAGS thing in more detail please i kinda get it.Thanks Greg.:-?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Blue Z06 said:

The only thing that bugs me is that if I have the parking brake set and push in the clutch (to start it) the car will roll. I almost screwed up my door at a gas station the first day I had the car.
Is this some new invention from GM? No car should ever do that, I think you should have it check. What happen if you are parking uphill or downhill and forgot to depress the clutch and the brake at the same time?

·
Registered
528 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:

The only bizzar sound I heard was the 'normal' can of marbles sound when turning off the engine with the tranny in neutral. If the engine is shut off in gear, this sound goes away. Anyone know exactly why this is??

ONE AWESOME CAR!!
I think if you just hold the clutch when you shut off the engine, you won't hear that noise either. Don't think you have to shut it off in gear. I notice on the 01's Z, some cars make more noise than other. My buddy's Z makes lots more noise than mine. That could be the reason why I don't have to shut the engine of in gear to get rid of the noise in my Z.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Blue Z06 -- WOW!!, 3400 miles in a week?! You must have went to the museum to pick it up, and then drove it home.

About the parking brake. It should hold the car on a fairly steep hill if pulled hard. Maybe the rear pads aren't fully seated yet? Maybe you just have to pull it alot harder? If it continues, have it checked out.

Torched -- the CAGS (stands for Computer Aided Gear Selector) was GMs way (among other things) of helping the Vette get a better fuel mileage rating, and preventing us from paying a gas guzzler tax :D. If starting out from a dead stop in 1st gear, if the RPMs are not above 2500 the CAGS computer will force the shifter to go from 1st to 4th gear. The CAGS system contols the shift gate so the shifter is forced to go into 4th.

This is what I've observed about the CAGS system.

1) The CAGS only is enabled when starting from a dead stop. If you are rolling and shift into 1st, then rev to say only 2000 RPMs before shifting, it will NOT kick in, and the tranny will shift into 2nd.

2) If the CAGS enables, you will see a light on the dash that says "1-->4 shift". This means it wants to make the shifter go to 4th instead of 2nd. It does seem that the CAGS only enables between about 1500 and 2500 RPMs. I don't think it enables if the RPMs are too low in 1st. As soon as the tack swings above 2500, the light goes out, and CAGS is disabled, and it will shift into 2nd.

3) One 'trick' you can do if you happen to try and shift when CAGS is enabled, is to just bring the shifter to the neutral position for a second. This disables CAGS, and you can shift into 2nd.

For me, CAGS is really not a bother because I usually rev between 2500 and 3000 RPMs in 1st gear. So far, I think its only tried to go 1st to 4th about twice on me, and I just put the shifter in the neutral position to make CAGS go off, then shifted into 2nd.

Alot of guys buy the CAGS defeat gizzmo, which plugs into a connector on the tranny. At this point I don't think I will get one because I don't drive my Z like a granny :D:D

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
DJWorm

I had Mallett purge the brakes AND the ABS with a TechII and refilled with AP600 brake fluid, Carbon/Kevlar racing pads and Braided Stainless Steel Lines. If you can believe it they are twice as better than the already great stock ones!!!!! for around $500 bucks and a couple of hours work. Well they feel twice as better. they stop in about 2/3 rds of the distance as sstock!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Blue, good writeup. Much appreciated and CONGRATS. :cheers:

Glad to see a fellow Northern Californian finally get his car. Sounds like a fantastic ride and just about the most B4B on the planet. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.